A big sign the Rugby Championship doesn't work

Discussion in 'The Rugby Championship 2019' started by Jabby, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Steve-o

Steve-o Bench Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

It's only been 10 months but what has Raelene Castle done so far?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

i can say profile in Melbourne is almost non existent, i know it is completely a AFL town but you cant right off 4.5m potential fans

4. Steeler

Steeler Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Manawatu

could make the RC every 2 years

like in soccer they have the European championship between the world cups

would make the comp more interesting to win

5. Steeler

Steeler Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Manawatu

could make the RC every 2 years

like in soccer they have the European championship between the world cups

would make the comp more interesting/rare to win

then fill the rest of the other seasons with test series

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oliver Madden

Oliver Madden Academy Player

I think one of the main problems with the rugby championship is the schedule. its boring. my schedule would be:
    R1 - Arg v NZ, Aus v SA
    R2 - NZ v Aus, SA v Arg
    R3 - SA v NZ, Arg v Aus
    R4 - NZ v SA, Aus v Arg
    R5 - NZ v Arg, SA v Aus
    R6 - Aus v NZ, Arg v SA

I know this would be tough on Argentina starting at home to NZ but I think that would be their best chance of running NZ close. that schedule doesn't seem as unfavourable to Argentina and South Africa as the current one. I don't mind the double-header format but I think it should be in rounds 3 and 4 and not 1 and 2. I think this schedule would give the Boks in particular a better chance of challenging the All Blacks more. going back to whether the RC or 6N is better, personally, as a follower of NH rugby I love the passion, intensity and history of the 6 nations. However I would say that some of the quality of rugby in the RC is far beyond what the 6 nations can offer. the two NZ v SA games this year are prime examples. some of this is down to the weather in the NH but more of it In my view is down to the superior skillset of the Southern Hemisphere teams.

7. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

if im reading that correctly

RSA finish the comp away in nz...home for arg and then away again to Arg

and Nz starts

away to arg...home to Aus and then away to RSA

cant see how that better than the current of Nz and Aus doing Arg and RSA away on one trip...

8. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

Yeah, that makes absolutely no sense. The travelling alone would make it extra gruesome on all the teams. There is no way RSA would abide with that schedule, especially if they have to travel twice to and from Australasia.

9. Steeler

Steeler Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Manawatu

with SA improving i think the comp is going to start getting beter anyway, SA were pretty close this year to winning, just two bad games vs Aus and Arg spoiled it for them

aus on their day can give us a game too in Sydney, dnt think the comps completely dead, i still enjoy it

10. Old Hooker

Old Hooker First XV

Country Flag:

England

One of the reasons that I only ever dip in and out of the RC is that the home and away structure makes it overly repetitious. Forget the relative strengths for the moment, but Aus vs NZ ought to be an eagerly anticipated "local" tear up in any sport. But since the start of the millennium they have played 54 times - how boring is that?

Eng v Wales, my favourite NH bust up has been played just 26 times in the same period and 4 of those were RWC warm ups so don't really count.

I know there are geographical and other factors at play but 4 teams playing each other home and away isn't an appealing format to me.

The NZ dominance is an issue as it robs the tournament of the key elements of competition and uncertainty. You can't blame the ABs at all for that - the others need to up their game and the Boks, thankfully, look to be heading in the right direction after an extended period of well documented turmoil. The game in Australia is in decline, maybe terminally and given the Pumas have no domestic structure to speak of you can't really expect much more of them than the odd result - a sort of upper class Italy (they've only ever had one draw against the ABs - in 1985 and I don't see that record changing any time soon). The ABs have been rightly celebrated as the best team around for the last few years, but given what they've actually been up against, the shock would have been if they hadn't been dominant.

Really looking forward to seeing Ire vs NZ in the AIs. I've long since written off Eng's chances.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Oliver Madden

maybe the rugby championship should revert to a 6N style format whereby the teams only play each other once a year. just think the home and away games each year, especially with the same schedule, dulls the interest slightly.

12. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

So just 3 weeks of rugby...

13. Oliver Madden

would rather 3 weeks of interesting rugby than 6 weeks of rubbish. don't think the format will change though, I still think it will be 6 rounds. hopefully if the Springboks keep improving they can seriously challenge the All Blacks every year during the next RWC cycle. on a different note does anyone know the schedule for next years RC yet? I assume it will be shortened because of the world cup?.

14. mdaclarke

mdaclarke Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

I like the home and away format. I also like the idea of SA v NZ being the final game. Apart from that I am not bothered how it is scheduled.

15. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

Id be happy to have less internationals games that mean very little if the AB's then played a few weeks of Mitre 10 Cup, I'd love to have Ben smith coming back for the Championship final this weekend

16. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

There is a real possibility that Australia will never win it again. I hope that doesn't happen but it really could.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

One of my favourite things about rugby has always been how different types of team and styes of play can be competitive against each other. I think we've been doing that a bit lately, but it is still there.

18. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

Game has to be rebuilt from the ground up. By the time its done Soccer will be the top sport, maybe AFL. Far too late. Enjoy it while we are still top 10.

19. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

I agree, i don't think anyone ever particularly cared about winning the tri nations or RC, even back at the start when it was tightly contested. people cared about the individual games but the competition didn't really mean anything. Part of this is because we already had the bledisloe cup, and regular games against South Africa was just like a second bledisloe type thing, two games against our traditional rivals. I don't remember ever caring, but if we lost one or two games against a given rival the previous year i'd be anticipating this years games all year.

I think the 6N has another advantage, in terms of the tournament, that it is just one game against each team. It's not as much about individual rivalries, it's just a case of which team is consistently the best. If it was just the top 3 nations playing each other twice, home and away, and was the same three nations every year, I don't think it would feel as much like a tournament either. That doesn't mean I'd rather be playing only one game against each of Aus and SA, just that it doesn't feel like a tournament, it just feels like separate series.

In conclusion, as a tournament the 6N is better, but in terms of rivalries, the series embedded within the RC are better. Or, at least, they were better when they weren't so one-sided.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  20. petite

petite Bench Player

Country Flag:

Argentina

Club or Nation:

Argentina

all three games in argentina this year where sold out!

21. bushytop

bushytop First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Good, tis the way it should be. Though I don’t know how that relates to my comment specifically.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!