• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

90's=Golden Age

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
yeah I think the 90's are just generally the Golden Age of...well, of the human beings. Of everything in general, just generally.
I did grow up during the 90's, but seriously I can be objective enough that I know I'm being rational here and it's not just all nostalgia.

But seriously: everything was going well at the time , well not really but like the USA were the shiit, Canada was all happy and not complaining about the new issues today, Europe was chillin', USSR were (finally) broken up, China wasn't being a bish yet, and terrorists and all that shiit weren't what it is today.
But that's just a quick parenthesis about the political landscape, I really mean the late 80's/90's ruled in all the other fields.

Cinema, music, video games, sports...I think of the cool action movies of that time like Predator, a masterpiece like the Matrix, Silence of the Lambs, a ton of shiit at the movies.
Musically it's clearly the Golden Age for metal for me, no details here.
Video games, I mean Sonic, Mortal Kombat, Age of Empires, id software (Wolf3D, Doom...), Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior and all 3DRealms shiit, a few Marios, Crash Bandicoot...all those franchises.
As an NBA fan first, the 90's were the absolute Golden Age, no discussion necessary.

Just the atmosphere in general, the attitude, the decade that saw the creation of the internet, DVD's, laptops, mobile phones (although that's no treat !). I feel our era now is amazingly vapid and highly uninteresting, and I'd trade everything away, even the good shiit like Facebook and co. for that old 90's spirit again.

Was wondering what you all felt about this, as this forum is a great place for all kinds of different ages, places around the world and all to ask.

I prefer the 80's but the 90's were a fantastic decade as well. The 70's were awful from what I've seen and read(and heard). I think I miss the more laid back discourse of those decades, with the advent of social media (in particular twitter) it seems to be a rush to feigned outrage at the slightest perceived offence, it's horrible.

Issues aren't even dealt with because the powers that be get sidetracked on other rubbish, I can't even write a Roman history paper without spellcheck trying to get me to change the word Statesmen to States-people(yeah a lot of those in Classical Rome you ****ing dumb program.)

Last edited:
Certainly music wise it was a glorious era.

Best Hip Hop, Best House, Best Drum & Bass.

Also the best Pron!

Yeah, 90's for sure...

After three decades here on Earth I can safely say film has never been worse than it is now. People seem to flock in hordes and worship movies that I consider to be 5/10 predictable flicks at best. Add in a load of reboots and unoriginal ideas and it's a gong show in Holywood. As a counterpoint TV( I guess net as well now) drama has been very strong recently. Lot's of shows from the 80's and 90's don't hold up that well now.

yeah I think the 90's are just generally the Golden Age of...well, of the human beings. Of everything in general, just generally.
I did grow up during the 90's, but seriously I can be objective enough that I know I'm being rational here and it's not just all nostalgia.

But seriously: everything was going well at the time , well not really but like the USA were the shiit, Canada was all happy and not complaining about the new issues today, Europe was chillin', USSR were (finally) broken up, China wasn't being a bish yet, and terrorists and all that shiit weren't what it is today.
But that's just a quick parenthesis about the political landscape, I really mean the late 80's/90's ruled in all the other fields.

Cinema, music, video games, sports...I think of the cool action movies of that time like Predator, a masterpiece like the Matrix, Silence of the Lambs, a ton of shiit at the movies.
Musically it's clearly the Golden Age for metal for me, no details here.
Video games, I mean Sonic, Mortal Kombat, Age of Empires, id software (Wolf3D, Doom...), Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior and all 3DRealms shiit, a few Marios, Crash Bandicoot...all those franchises.
As an NBA fan first, the 90's were the absolute Golden Age, no discussion necessary.

Just the atmosphere in general, the attitude, the decade that saw the creation of the internet, DVD's, laptops, mobile phones (although that's no treat !). I feel our era now is amazingly vapid and highly uninteresting, and I'd trade everything away, even the good shiit like Facebook and co. for that old 90's spirit again.

Was wondering what you all felt about this, as this forum is a great place for all kinds of different ages, places around the world and all to ask.

One thing we had to deal with in the 90's though were constant constitutional issues, usually revolving round Quebec, it took so much of the countries energy and thank goodness that issue is on the backburner again. The 1995 referendum was a truly unforgettable experience, it was so close that at various parts of the night it really looked like Quebec would seperate but I think it finished at 50.3%-49.7%(or close to this) for NO.

Last edited:
Certainly music wise it was a glorious era.

Best Hip Hop, Best House, Best Drum & Bass.

Also the best Pron!

Yeah, 90's for sure...

hahaha, made me laugh. I might actually have to agree with you :p

After three decades here on Earth I can safely say film has never been worse than it is now. People seem to flock in hordes and worship movies that I consider to be 5/10 predictable flicks at best. Add in a load of reboots and unoriginal ideas and it's a gong show in Holywood. As a counterpoint TV( I guess net as well now) drama has been very strong recently. Lot's of shows from the 80's and 90's don't hold up that well now.

Agreed. Like, action movies have always been stupid, but the Lethal Weapons, the Die Hards, the Arnold GET TO THE CHOPPAAAAA action flicks, they did have some real quality to them. Even if it was in cheesiness, it was fresh, inspired...
A sci-fi masterpiece today is fkn 'Inception', a pseudo-deep, half-asses (practically) piece of shiit starring a good actor...where are the ****in Matrixes, all the really cool dystopian flicks, the monster horror stuff...now you've got fkn remakes of the Planet of the Apes n stuff.....

P.S.: Seinfeld, Jordan shoes, the Sega Megadrive, Playstation 1, Super NES, Dragon Ball Z, 90's Michael Jackson, Space Jam, Jim Carrey (Ace Ventura, the Mask, Dumb n Dumber)...

P.S.: Seinfeld, Jordan shoes, the Sega Megadrive, Playstation 1, Super NES, Dragon Ball Z, 90's Michael Jackson, Space Jam, Jim Carrey (Ace Ventura, the Mask, Dumb n Dumber)...

I hold out hope I'll eventually see a live action comedy I like as much as Seinfeld, though I'd be surpised if it happened.......

Last edited by a moderator:
cleverest comedy show I've ever seen. He and Steven Wright (thanks Rich Taff !) are the most brilliant comedians I've ever witnessed. Seinfeld must have a 7000 IQ or smt...some of his episode-intro standup stuff...fuuuuuuuu....

I cannot put into words how strongly I agree with you about **** action films.

In the 80's and 90's **** action films were actually really ****ing good - now they are just ****.

cleverest comedy show I've ever seen. He and Steven Wright (thanks Rich Taff !) are the most brilliant comedians I've ever witnessed. Seinfeld must have a 7000 IQ or smt...some of his episode-intro standup stuff...fuuuuuuuu....

I thought of the Bizaaro Jerry episode a few weeks ago and pulled out my DVD's and watched and nearly peed myself it was so funny even after all this time.

yep. You don't need consistent substance for an action flick, just a fun actor with his own personality/thing (Arnold, Bruce Willis, Stalone, or that crazy Aussie what's his name...Mel Gibson) and a nice little story with fun 1-liners. Or more, of course.
Fifth Element, Judge Dredd...
Even the James Bonds were much better then. Daniel Craig ??...effff....Golden Eye, even had its own fkn N64 videogame...one of the biggest movie-to-videogame successes.

One thing I miss is the better Wrestling, 80's-90's(except for the 93-95 period which was mostly hideous) WWF!(E), WCW, ECW. All great promotions that are either gone or faded(WWE got really crap after Chris Benoit went berserk). So many great performers, The Rock, Stone Cold, Bret Hart, Underweartaker(in his youth), awesome storylines like NWO and the Corporation, I miss it a lot, the current product has a few good performers but is kind of a creative mess.

I miss the 90's so much!!! Specially the music, man! What a good stuff and variety kind of music: Nirvana, Green Day, Radiohead (Ok Computer best album of that decade), Blur, Oasis, Pearl Jam, Alice in chains, Alanis Morissette, Jamiroquai, Red hot Chili peppers, U2(at its best)and a big etc. What we have today? ...Justin Biever, Shakira, Katy Perry........Miley Cyrus. Damn, I want to cry!! Ahh, and the college era, sweet sweet years, those times will never come back!!

grunge scene was indeed pretty cool. Silly music, ridiculous lyrics, stupid anti-authority demeanor but still cool. Indeed some good rock too, RHCPeppers and Radiohead. REM a tad bit...

Remember 4 Non Blondes and their song "What's Up?".

One of the catchiest songs of all-time honestly, and soooooooooooooo 90's.

Bryan Adams...:p nah I hate that shiit really...

The 90's are also a band like Ace of Base. The dance feel was always annoying, but some good songs and that chick had a beautiful voice. So 90's.

And nu-metal. It's a highly criticized genre, but I've got to name KoRn, Deftones, p.o.d., Linkin Park as some bands that have stood the test of time and really were highly original, and that's what nu-metal still feels like. It's "nu", and still feels like a new wave movement.

Without a doubt the 90's though a lot of that might be because those were my uhm formative years.

Nintendo, transformers, He-Man, X-men when it was still fresh, PlayStation, Radiohead, Michael Jackson, awkward teen sex back when parents didn't know teens were having sex and it wasn;t quite as dangerous or at least considered such, Seinfeld, '95 RWC in SA, 'Friends' when it was good, Mario bro's, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Live's 2 good albums, post-Apartheid euphoria, the movies are just too many to even mention and they had soul, integrity, trips were affordable...

ITT: Posters who wish they were young again.

You bet! But a lot of that has to do with the era rather than actual youth. I mean, personally I am now capable of buying what I want which I couldn't as a kid but **** just isn't as 'good' now. So, yes, I fair enough but you missed out, kid. Good thing you don't quite exactly know what though.

awkward teen sex back when parents didn't know teens were having sex and it wasn;t quite as dangerous or at least considered such, Seinfeld, '95 RWC in SA, 'Friends' when it was good, Mario bro's, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Live's 2 good albums, post-Apartheid euphoria, the movies are just too many to even mention and they had soul, integrity, trips were affordable...

hahaha, I see it was the same over there ! That's hilarious...like, my parents thought smokin' pot was this really odd, dangerous practice when the entire planet's 19yo do it (although for me in particular, this is all past the 90's).
There are a few REALLY important French things for me also in that decade, but (almost) nobody would know here.

Here's one that plunges me right into the heart of the 90's. This is so so SOOO 90's for me, just the sound/production...