• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

4 year strategic plan

Hey look, it's easy to be petty now. We all know Scottish rugby is in trouble and that's not good for any of us.

Oh god that is entertaining. I remember when you hired Robinson I wondered what the hell you doing he got chased out of England for being a rubbish coach.

Glad I mocked that Scottish plan the first time I saw it...only one other more ridiculous plan in rugby these days....the NRFL.

even i knew that this plan was out off reach when i first saw it

I saw his face and I am a believer!!! Denton as stupid as The Monkeys were back in the day!!!!

Shame on Scotland for having ambition to improve and not accept their lot.

I've no issue with this being Scotland's goal. It hasn't panned out but they have made some strides. Glasgow are a very strong team and their u20s just took out Wales and Ireland in the 6 Nations.

I'd be damn disappointed if this wasn't Ireland's goal too. Aim high. Don't accept second best. All the talk about hoping to make the semi final for Ireland is bull****. I fully expect the squad are looking to go to the World Cup and win it. Realistic? Possibly not but they've beaten all comers bar the AIG All Blacks in the last two seasons.

Shame on Scotland for having ambition to improve and not accept their lot.

I've no issue with this being Scotland's goal. It hasn't panned out but they have made some strides. Glasgow are a very strong team and their u20s just took out Wales and Ireland in the 6 Nations.

I'd be damn disappointed if this wasn't Ireland's goal too. Aim high. Don't accept second best. All the talk about hoping to make the semi final for Ireland is bull****. I fully expect the squad are looking to go to the World Cup and win it. Realistic? Possibly not but they've beaten all comers bar the AIG All Blacks in the last two seasons.

Exactly, and given the current state of Scottish Rugby, if they aim to win the RWC, but managed to progress to the semis, but bow out all guns blazing, it would still be a success, even though they hadn't achieved their goal. As for Ireland, they are a serious contender for the ***le, and they should be aiming to win the thing.

I don't think it's about having ambition and wanting to improve. I think it's about having realistic goals and recognizing what you're capable of. "Let's win the World Cup" isn't being serious in the space of 4 years. Long term, totally, but in that short of a window?

If you've never ran a day in your life, you don't just spontaneously decide you're going to get first in the upcoming marathon. You set goals, and a road map of where you want to be according to your capabilities. I'm sure for Scotland that could indeed be very high, not saying it couldn't.

I don't think it's about having ambition and wanting to improve. I think it's about having realistic goals and recognizing what you're capable of. "Let's win the World Cup" isn't being serious in the space of 4 years. Long term, totally, but in that short of a window?

If you've never ran a day in your life, you don't just spontaneously decide you're going to get first in the upcoming marathon. You set goals, and a road map of where you want to be according to your capabilities. I'm sure for Scotland that could indeed be very high, not saying it couldn't.

Yes, but this will be Scotland's eighth marathon (RWC) won't it, they've finished fourth in one, and get regular competition each year, so it's not like they aren't going in not knowing what to expect, or being under prepared.

To use your, marathon analogy, if you've run them before, and aim to take 20 minutes off your PB, your more likely to achieve some sort of improvement, if you aim high, than if you aim for nothing at all

I think for Scotland to flourish to the best of their abilities (and to be fair, I've read the article, not a full length report) the grassroots level will need to be as strong as possible, possibly even do one or two things a little different to how they are doing now, the coaches should decide on and develop a game plan that can at least get them past Italy in the 6 nations rankings, figure out how the team can still perform at a top level away from home, etc. Surely developing those things over time (i.e: longer than 4 years) will generate results, which will also pull in more funding. Obviously every team would like to win a World Cup, but the reality is for some of those teams who aren't the All Blacks or Springboks, they are there to do as well as they can. Right now Scotland is in that boat, but once they achieve the goals they set themselves to make them a powerhouse they could start having bigger expectations. A quarter final upset is totally possible, I get that. But will they win a World Cup given their build up? No.

How many threads do we need about Scotland? We have more Scottish threads than Scottish members.

Criticising Denton for setting himself a goal to win every game he plays is incredibly one-eyed. If a player didn't do that the criticism would be huge, the SRU were a bit premature and optimistic with their four year plan, they should make it an 8-12 year one it will take time, but if Denton had said anything else as a player I'd have been wholly unimpressed. We had an interview with Fairhurst prior to the last World Cup and he said his goal was to win it, I know the man is God but nobody criticised him for having unrealistic goals.

How many threads do we need about Scotland? We have more Scottish threads than Scottish members.

Post of the year ......

Also back to the topic I have a short term plan I'm going to get selected for England in the World Cup squad get to the final score 10 tries and 15 drop goals, win the Webb Ellis cup then drink every beer in London and get back home before work on Monday !

Last edited: