4 digits for Jonathan Kaplan

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Jonathan Kaplan, South Africa's most experienced referee, will officiate his 1000th match this weekend, when he takes charge of the Leopards - Griffons match in Potchefstroom. The 45-year old Durban-born referee has reached a total of 999 matches since he first started back in 1984 at University level. While not having a successful career in rugby, he is regarded as one of the most intelligent and experienced referees in the world. Jonathan Kaplan never had any sporting career as a player, but he does have 2 brothers who played Division One rugby for the Natal Sharks.

Kaplan realized early on he wanted to contribute in a different way. At first it was schoolboys and club stuff, it soon propelled forward to become international stuff. 1991 was his debut first-class match amd in 1993 he was introduced to the National Reffing Panel. 1996 he earned his Test blazer with his first international match he blew between Namibia and Zimbabwe, from then on in he has racked up more airmiles than most pilots themselves. Kaplan had to wait another year before travelling overseas to take charge. The Test match between Argentina and England was a very tense encounter. He never lost his cool though and he has since evolved into a referee who has experience in many competitions. Currie Cup, Super Rugby, Tri Nations, Pacific Nations Cup and Six Nations are just a few examples.

Kaplan is a man of unique achievements and records. He is the only referee to have participated in four Lions tours and he is the only one who took charge in Lions matches in all 3 countries (Free State v B&I Lions, South Africa 1997; 2nd Test, Australia 2001; 3rd Test, New Zealand 2005; Natal Sharks v B&I Lions, South Africa 2009). He was also the first to reach 50 Test matches as a referee. He is the only referee to have won the South African Referee of the Year award for four consecutive years.

Tomorrow's game will be one of the most memorable ones for Jonathan Kaplan, even if it is a match in the Currie Cup First Division. A milestone will be reached in Potchefstroom. Kaplan said that this game will be his tribute to all those who stood by him during his refereeing career.

Jonathan-Kaplan-ready_2311192.jpg

1000 too many if you ask me :p but then again who's asking...

Yes yes, SA bad, NZ good. We know. Go cheer for Bryce Lawrence ;)

I'm just trying to write a small piece for this massive achievement. Lets not turn this into a debate of good or bad refereeing by him.

Yes yes, SA bad, NZ good. We know. Go cheer for Bryce Lawrence ;)

I'm just trying to write a small piece for this massive achievement. Lets not turn this into a debate of good or bad refereeing by him.

lol, i still think the best ref ever is Andre Watson, since he hung up his wistle i couldn't care less about refs...

hence my comment...

Yeah, massive achievement.

But I still think he's one of the most useless, inconsistant referees of all time; easily my least favourite.

And before anyone has a go - I think Bryce Lawrence is terrible as well and Craig Joubert is by far the best referee on the planet (irrespective of the RWC Final result).

He has given back to the game more than all the people who criticize him combined.

Well done JK.

Well done to him, can be a bit of a dick but that's a great achievement.

I am not a big fan of his style of refereeing, but I admire his persistence. He deserves more respect than what he usually gets on online communities (not talking about TRF though)

He has given back to the game more than all the people who criticize him combined.

Well done JK.

I agree.

I actually met him once after a Crusaders match a few years ago.

He found him to he an amiable and easy going chap.... not at all the serious persona he takes on when the whistle is in his hand.

Congratulations JK

Well done JK.

Brillaint. Probably not worth criticising any referee or player ever under this logic. As a Hurricanes fan, I've seen them lose time and time again by terrible and inconsistant calls by Kaplan. Don't think much of him as a referee at all.

Good for him to get 1000 matches, amazing achievement. Don't know the guy personally, sure he's a lovely bloke who does his best every time he goes out on the field. I still can't stand him as a referee.

Latest posts