• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Italy vs England (13/02/22)

That would be good, and put some proper wingers in would be perfect
Thorley looked good and should be replacement for Nowell. Would give some physical threat, but keep Malins for other. He looked lively and was secure with high ball.

How did we go this week compared to france vs italy last week?

How did we go this week compared to france vs italy last week?
Scord 4 points less, conceded 10 points less, so overall +6 points. Tbh though Italy were a lot poorer than last week, so I wouldn't read much into it.

Scord 4 points less, conceded 10 points less, so overall +6 points. Tbh though Italy were a lot poorer than last week, so I wouldn't read much into it.
And we were worse as well. Went from dominant but couldn't score, to error strewn but **** it, it's half baked Italy so let's score

I honestly think Eddie has lost whatever he had. He clearly doesn't know his best XV or anywhere close to it. Good players have regressed, talented young players underwhelm and players are continually picked out of position
Then we have the abomination that is Charlie Ewels he is without doubt one of the worst forwards I have ever seen picked for England. Isekwe subbed off and then we loose the next 2 lineouts with Ewels the jumper
What is most frustrating is their clearly a lot of young talented players that are unable to show it at international level.

Eddie Jones is building England for the World Cup. Like he said in his interview after the game today, that is the ultimate goal. If they look disjointed at times it's understandable with all the changes and new guys coming onto the scene. They have a lot of options, he is trying to find what works and who can deliver at test level. That takes time. I still think England will finish the 6 nations quite strongly.

Eddie Jones is building England for the World Cup. Like he said in his interview after the game today, that is the ultimate goal. If they look disjointed at times it's understandable with all the changes and new guys coming onto the scene. They have a lot of options, he is trying to find what works and who can deliver at test level. That takes time. I still think England will finish the 6 nations quite strongly.
In fairness, he should have built the team a little sooner than this Championship ! As you say, it takes time and we don't have a lot of matches before the RWC to work everything out.

In fairness, he should have built the team a little sooner than this Championship ! As you say, it takes time and we don't have a lot of matches before the RWC to work everything out.
This, we should have been making changes last year / tail end of 2020. Instead we had a crap year and gained nothing because he was determined to stick with out of form players.

Summer, autumn internationals then another 6 nations before the World Cup. Also could include the last autumn internationals ( 3 wins from 3) and this 6 nations, so plenty of matches to find the answers. England were unfortunate to lose last weekend and won today without conceding. It's hardly dire straits.

Always weird how NZ are never rebuilding

Having watched it warts and all my thoughts:
- I'd rather see us at least trying something and failing because of spills etc than not trying at all. Our attack looked better, if still rusty, and players looked like they were trying to find overlaps more.
- The pace noticeably dropped of when Youngs came on. He really doesn't seem to offer anything apart from the odd game here or there where he remembers what he can actually do. Most games he is just rubbish.
- Malins is very talented but not convinced he is a winger.
- Smith's range of passing and taking the ball to the line is such an improvement. The players need to get more used to supporting him / having him in support though. There were a few times where he made the right decisions but nobody else was reacting to them.
- In general our speed to our own ruck needs improving, our players have a tendency to hang back too much. We have our players positioned for an offload / ready for the next phase without being ready to deal with what is happening at that moment.
- Penalty count still too high
- Despite Italy scoring 0, our defence was actually quite poor. They were given numerous lineouts in our 22 that a more competent team would have scored from. We put a lot of pressure on ourselves each time through ill discipline and need to stamp it out.
- I still feel Simmonds speed and burst of power could be so useful if we just adjust our tactics to take advantage of it.
- Ewels was painfully anonymous yet again.
- Eddie gonna Eddie with ridiculous subs.

Even though it was Italy, I feel this is the style of play we should be developing more. I feel it will be impossible to do so if Youngs stays in the side, he simply needs to go now.

This is the same Eddie Jones that said straight after the WC final that this particular team was done. Yet continued to play that exact same team for another two years. Albeit trying to copy SA style of play, with a lock at 6 with lots of box kicking
What this has done is regress very talented players such as Itoje, Curry and Slade and prolong players such as Young's, Farrel and Daly .
In turn he is now forced to blood a load of young players 2 years too late. Not only that but it has also taken him 2 years to realise that the style of play needed to change.
I honestly believe that talent wise( Du pont aside who is a generational talent) their is not much difference between the English and the French. However they have a clear consistent plan and a coaching team that are able to extract a level of intensity we have not seen from England for 3 years

Expect Manu to be fast tracked for Wales…..

Anyway here's what I made of it.

Front row. Had its moments but whatever combination we put out falls short of what Ire and Fra can offer. You could maybe argue about Collier / Stuart but otherwise there would be few complaints on the 6 selected.

The Row. Ewels was Ewels - did a few decent things but falls short at this level. Isiekwe was rightly pinged for the try but would have got away with that 80% of the time. He also knocked on once but had a couple of forceful carries and gets incredible height when jumping. Definitely worth persevering with.

Back row. Curry worked hard but still doesn't quite look where we expect him to be. I thought Itoje showed some pretty good signs at 6 - Lawes coming back may complicate things but otherwise I'd like to see him get a run there. Dombrandt did some good stuff, including over the ball, but we need some direct aggressive carrying from somewhere.

Half backs. Bit harem scarem at times, but nice to see the energy and ambition. But I have little doubt that was a one off and we'll see Youngs back for the tougher tests to come.

Centres. Reflected the whole team performance by needing a bit more thrust and intent. Totally expecting to see Manu and Slade v Wal. I think most would see that as being as good as it gets (on the massive assumption about Manu's fitness…..).

Back 3. Steward looked pretty sound and good to see him ball in hand although I thought he missed an obvious pass a couple of times. Wings - a real problem. Malins just doesn't cut it there for me and while in his brief appearance Nowell looked busy, as he always does, he's not going to give too many sleepless nights to international opponents these days.

From the bench. Daly didn't do too much wrong but there wasn't a lot of wow either. It's probably too early for Chessum to be involved really, but I enjoyed his cameo.

But, unfortunately, you can't really read too much into any result against Ita at the moment.