• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Ireland vs Wales (05/02/22)

Congrats to Ireland. I would say as expected, and it pretty much was, but I thought we'd have a bit more fight and intensity than that but oh well. Will have to go back to the 90s where beating England is the only thing that matters.

@Groundhog offer to eat his entire ass doesn't sound so bad now compared to watching that **** yesterday.
Very gracious, pretty hard to tell where Wales are from that, I agree with the lacking in fight, I genuinely think France and Ireland are in a league of their own this 6 Nations and could embarrass Scotland and England in a similar fashion, Adams at 13 was defiantly targeted and should be considered a failed experiment IMO.

Will watch the game again and give a sober review but I'm absolutely delighted. A great, stress free, win with Johnny and Ringer showing they're the best there is is all I want in a rugby game.

Our pack is dirty good and will give us a chance in any game.

Farrell has implemented a tempo which probably can't be obtained three, four or five weeks in a row so I'm not exactly excited about next year but I don't think there is anything we can do better right now.

I still think we're more likely to win three games than four or five but we will beat the Scots fairly easy which is important before our pool game next year.

Very gracious, pretty hard to tell where Wales are from that, I agree with the lacking in fight, I genuinely think France and Ireland are in a league of their own this 6 Nations and could embarrass Scotland and England in a similar fashion, Adams at 13 was defiantly targeted and should be considered a failed experiment IMO.
To be honest, that was a really, really tough watch. Injuries or not im one more defeat like that away from Pivac out. Sounds harsh but I'd be very tempted to go all out for Scott Robertson if this continues. While our current woes can't all be blamed on Pivac as head coach the buck stops with him at the end of the day.

Farrell has implemented a tempo which probably can't be obtained three, four or five weeks in a row so I'm not exactly excited about next year but I don't think there is anything we can do better right now.
Sustained?

Yessir

Not at full capacity rn.
Cool, thought that's what you meant. But on the point of not being able to yet sustain that over 3-4 weeks. Yes, not yet, but I think that is what Farrell is building towards for next year to get Ireland past their QF hoodoo.

Congrats to Ireland. I would say as expected, and it pretty much was, but I thought we'd have a bit more fight and intensity than that but oh well. Will have to go back to the 90s where beating England is the only thing that matters.

@Groundhog offer to eat his entire ass doesn't sound so bad now compared to watching that **** yesterday.
Offer always stands!!

Delighted with that result. Wales were quite poor, but at the same time we played nice rugby at an intense rate and our defense was phenomenal. I don't think we'd struggle against many sides of we play to the level. We could have scored one or two more. As for Wales, I don't really have answers for that. It was a very flat performance. I expected their backrow at the very least to show a lot better than they did. I will also need to watch it again while sober, but there was no stage of the game I felt we were under pressure.

Offer always stands!!

Delighted with that result. Wales were quite poor, but at the same time we played nice rugby at an intense rate and our defense was phenomenal. I don't think we'd struggle against many sides of we play to the level. We could have scored one or two more. As for Wales, I don't really have answers for that. It was a very flat performance. I expected their backrow at the very least to show a lot better than they did. I will also need to watch it again while sober, but there was no stage of the game I felt we were under pressure.

Re. backrow, I think Tain Basham played very well, arguably outplaying his opposite number which was impressive given what he was playing behind/alongside.

Jenkins still looks undercooked and a little unfit to me. His comeback v SA in the AI's was crazy impressive, but since that he's been off the pace for Cardiff, and was again yesterday.

Wainwright simply lacks physicality. I thought there were positive signs that his transition to 8 was going to be successful utilising his pace and footwork in the carry. But sometimes you just need some old fashioned power, and yesterday was probably one of those days. Consistency isn't one of Wainwrights strengths either.

Maybe a backrow of Moriarty, Basham, Ratti for the next game?

Re. backrow, I think Tain Basham played very well, arguably outplaying his opposite number which was impressive given what he was playing behind/alongside.

Jenkins still looks undercooked and a little unfit to me. His comeback v SA in the AI's was crazy impressive, but since that he's been off the pace for Cardiff, and was again yesterday.

Wainwright simply lacks physicality. I thought there were positive signs that his transition to 8 was going to be successful utilising his pace and footwork in the carry. But sometimes you just need some old fashioned power, and yesterday was probably one of those days. Consistency isn't one of Wainwrights strengths either.

Maybe a backrow of Moriarty, Basham, Ratti for the next game?
Yes Basham was one of your better players. Definitely missing a carrier like Moriarty. Think Jenkins should be persisted with. Always impressed me.

I think the Adams at 13 experiment did not work. We did a lot of our best work when attacking his channel.

It's the skill set in the front 5 that is severely lacking for me. We got outmuscled for sure but you look at the ball players that Ireland have in that area and it's night and day.

Wel what a great win. **** poor Welsh team but not Irelands fault. Bigger challenges next week. But Farrell, Catt, Paulie and Easterby certainly have brought our style on

Watched again, not much to add. Scrappy first half but the discipline stayed throughout. Second half was clean and clinical.

Great day in a fully open Dublin, looking forward to next week.

I think for next week I'd bring Henderson in to start, Beirne, Coombes and Henshaw on the bench. Injury permitting

Just to have a bigger, more explosive team for 80mins, we trailed off quite badly towards the end I thought and France won't afford us the opportunity to do that.

It turns out both teams AI form carried into 6 nations then....... Don't really have too much to add to what has already been said, Ireland looked great although worryingly for Wales, left a few points on the table to be honest.
What ever Wales did just didn't work, attack didn't really get over the gain line and then when they kicked, it was poor or the chase was poor. Dismantled in the outer channels is the probably the best way to describe the defence although the were loosing ground in the tight carries as well.
Hopefully a pasting in the u20s and 6 nations proper to Ireland will make WRU actually sort their crap out..... but I doubt it.

I think for next week I'd bring Henderson in to start, Beirne, Coombes and Henshaw on the bench. Injury permitting

Just to have a bigger, more explosive team for 80mins, we trailed off quite badly towards the end I thought and France won't afford us the opportunity to do that.
Hard to see POM left out after this week. He was very good when coming on again.

Again Henshaw is a starter or spectator and well Aki again earned his sport as starting 12.

JGP had few wobblers and Murray could come in. But if he does that changes the approach and means Henderson Coombes etc come in to 23 too for power.
For me I think it will be same 23 with maybe the #23 jersey changing.

I'm a big Henshaw fan but it would be harsh to change the starting team after that performance, even if perhaps they could have been a bit more clinical.

Hard to see POM left out after this week. He was very good when coming on again.

Again Henshaw is a starter or spectator and well Aki again earned his sport as starting 12.

JGP had few wobblers and Murray could come in. But if he does that changes the approach and means Henderson Coombes etc come in to 23 too for power.
For me I think it will be same 23 with maybe the #23 jersey changing.
I'm thinking more along the lines of needing more beef than anything else, every player obviously deserves to retain the jersey on Saturday's showing but arguably that's not the best fit for next Saturday. I'd like us to be a bit more ruthless with selection like Schmidt was with Leinster and Lancaster and Cullen have shown at times too. It's less predictable, keeps players hungry and often brings success.

I think JGP is nailed on until the world cup tbh, he's integral to how we play, definitely won't hit the heights Murray has in the past but Murray doesn't fit what we need to do for our gameplan as a starter anymore.

I think Henshaw on the bench is no different to Hume, he covers 12 and 13, Joey covers 10 and 15, Keenan covers the wings. It's as good coverage as you can ask for really. I'd certainly rather have him as an option than Larmour or Earls because I like neither of them in at 13, whilst Baloucoune leaves us with no midfield coverage.

I'm thinking more along the lines of needing more beef than anything else, every player obviously deserves to retain the jersey on Saturday's showing but arguably that's not the best fit for next Saturday. I'd like us to be a bit more ruthless with selection like Schmidt was with Leinster and Lancaster and Cullen have shown at times too. It's less predictable, keeps players hungry and often brings success.

I think JGP is nailed on until the world cup tbh, he's integral to how we play, definitely won't hit the heights Murray has in the past but Murray doesn't fit what we need to do for our gameplan as a starter anymore.

I think Henshaw on the bench is no different to Hume, he covers 12 and 13, Joey covers 10 and 15, Keenan covers the wings. It's as good coverage as you can ask for really. I'd certainly rather have him as an option than Larmour or Earls because I like neither of them in at 13, whilst Baloucoune leaves us with no midfield coverage.
True but that my point. I think there won't be changes as we are reliant on likes of Beirne to play game we want to play.
Like I know you say be more ruthless etc but easy for Leinster to do it as club game is really like 3 or 4 tough games. If Leinster had 4 real hard games like a 6 Nations style there wouldn't be as much rotation. And for club game their depth is superb.
Regards beef again not disagreeing but I think Faz values the POM impact too high.
Equally for these reasons I agree with JGP. As I said if Murray starts it is a change of approach which then again encourages a selection of beef. On 23 shirt I did note that as possible area of change. Just don't think Henshaw will get in. injuries are catching up with him and I do think in Irish coaching staff eyes his stock has fallen a small bit. He is still a Lion and worldclass not arguing that. More he won't fill 23 jersey. Not sure what solution is though.
I think if fit Earls is the man who gets it as he "covers" 13 and wings in their eyes.

True but that my point. I think there won't be changes as we are reliant on likes of Beirne to play game we want to play.
Like I know you say be more ruthless etc but easy for Leinster to do it as club game is really like 3 or 4 tough games. If Leinster had 4 real hard games like a 6 Nations style there wouldn't be as much rotation. And for club game their depth is superb.
Regards beef again not disagreeing but I think Faz values the POM impact too high.
Equally for these reasons I agree with JGP. As I said if Murray starts it is a change of approach which then again encourages a selection of beef. On 23 shirt I did note that as possible area of change. Just don't think Henshaw will get in. injuries are catching up with him and I do think in Irish coaching staff eyes his stock has fallen a small bit. He is still a Lion and worldclass not arguing that. More he won't fill 23 jersey. Not sure what solution is though.
I think if fit Earls is the man who gets it as he "covers" 13 and wings in their eyes.
Tbf re Hume, he had 20 minutes or so and dint really impose himself on the game all that much, though that was also with Sexton off. If Henshaw came into 23 I dont think you'd be too disappointed
Hansen played well, and In hindsight Im unsure Balacoune has that distribution side of his game (Ulster dont really bring their wingers into midfield to take up that role), but it seems he's competing more with Conway. Him and Lowry looked sharp on Friday so maybe get a look in v Italy
Oddly, i think the only member of the starting backline who looked below his usual standards was Keenan, but he's been so solid and reliable, and did pick up his game after a slightly rocky opening 20
In second row, I think Beirne has been so standout that Ryan and Henderson are competing for the same jersey, realistically having any of those 3 starting, and one benching is a dream scenario

Finally, was watching with my dad, and despite the wind and rain at the aviva, he didnt even think about a slippery ball until the 60th minute because the irish handling was so good and slick (it obviously slowed a little due to rain, it would have to, but even still) and i think this shows the intent to play "their way" regardless of the situation, backing their skills and it really highlighted for me just how far those skills have come

Latest posts