• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] England vs Ireland (12/03/22)

Actual footage of Sexton trying to chase down Smith

giphy.webp

Ire are without Porter and Kelleher from the front row which is a big loss for them although they have got decent alternatives.

I have my doom hat on, but is there likely to be a single unit where we can say Eng are likely to be demonstrably better?

Front and locks might be tight with Ire shading and I really like that Ire back row.

Half backs, Ire win because of 9. Centres a clear win for Ire. Back 3 Ire as our wings are totally underwhelming.

Porter is a very big loss in my opinion, Kilcoyne with Healy bouncing is still an international level duo but not a point of difference like Porter.

Sheehan and Herring isn't as big a loss but we'd really want to be leading when Sheehan comes off, Herring is solid but again, not going to be impactful.off the bench.

Furlong is so far ahead of any other front row on the pitch that I'd say he levels the front row battle that England would have edged otherwise.

Itoje and Beirne are the pick of the second rows, if England go with Ewels and we have Henderson on the bench I'd give us a small edge here but overall, and with home advantage, you'd expect parity in the front five.

Without Curry available I don't think I'd take an England backrow ahead of ours, if our loose forwards are allowed to be a point of difference they will be.

JGP is probably a bit steadier than Randall at the moment but definitely a position where both sides will want their young guys at club level to make an impression and get starts soon.

For a one off test match I'm taking Johnny over Smith every day of the week, playing two or three weeks in a row and I'd have to reconsider. If this game is decided on which ten has the most impact, we'll win, Johnny can get more out of his teams than Smith can at this point of his career. I think I'm right in saying this is Smith's first game against any Irish team, running out halves have had their struggles against us, slow ball and a tightly packed defensive line can effectively counter them.

I don't think much separates Slade and Ringrose, Ringer has form on his side but for a 13 at this level that's fairly fickle. If Manu comes back firing England have the edge here, if he's rusty it's still fairly equal because I doubt we'll pick Henshaw and if we do he'd need a sharp upturn in performance. If Manu doesn't play we should have the edge.

Back three again I'd take our guys. Steward v Keenan is probably the closest head to head here, two guys who are very competent and quietly add a lot to their sides attacking play.

Reading that back you'd think Ireland will win, and my prediction is that we'll edge it, but away from home and in a fixture where ambushes aren't uncommon I'm not comfortable at all. I also think that under Jones England have had some of their best games against us, 2019 was the pick of the bunch but 2016 and 2020 were total composed domination as well, and there were hammerings in the WC warmups and ANC too.

I'm yet to see England beat us in person, hopefully it's 5/5 come Saturday evening.

The Sussex Arms and the Prince Boucher in Twickenham Green and the Barmy Arms on the riverbank opposite Eel Pie Island. Hope you have a great day on Saturday except for the game.

Looking forward to this. Reckon Ireland will comfortably win but could see England shithousing their way to victory and it being at home it should be relatively close I suppose. Ireland by 12.

I think this will be pretty close. But Ireland with more experience in closing out must win games may see them over the line.

Heading over for this so when you see Marcus Smith crying just know that it was only 95% because of the realisation that he'll never be as good as Johnny Sexton and 5% is the borderline stuff I'll be shouting from the stands... I will ruin family days out.

As an aside, any pub recommendations around Richmond/Twickenham for a decent pre-game atmosphere would be welcomed. And I know the go to response will be "there is no atmosphere" but give me the best of a bad lot in that case!
For atmosphere, the Cabbage Patch is the standard answer. The last time I was there, there was plenty of atmosphere (although it was after a Cornwall game, we tend to make our own atmosphere), but it wasn't a lot of fun trying to get served. I'd guess this would go for anywhere else on the flight path to HQ.

I stayed in Richmond the night before (which was premiership final day) and you would hardly have known there had been a big match just down the road by the time we got there around 6pm, so probably not the best bet for atmosphere, but you're more likely to get served before you die of thirst. If you're looking to eat, I'd highly recommend The Shaftsbury in Richmond. Decend gastro-pub fayre for less than I expected to pay in that neck of the woods.

I think this will be pretty close. But Ireland with more experience in closing out must win games may see them over the line.
It's easy to forget what a massive factor home advantage is in the 6N. Without doubt Ireland are the better side, but I'd want a decent price before I backed them winning by a long way.

hope the game is as good as the bants. I think the general consensus is that Ireland are the stronger team going into this, and are still in the running for the ***le so pressure is on, and this is where England get a boost. No one expects them to win, they're at home, and might actually get given some licence to play by EJ at last as they've nothing to lose. It's not like we haven't got some quality on the pitch, a decent scrum, some handy young backs, there are plenty of threats if we switch on and come out firing. But anything less than total commitment and I fear Ireland may rip us a new one, especially if Sexton gets in the refs ear and starts truffling for cards!! Ireland are certainly favourites But it's far from a sure thing.

How can people say Ireland's second row is better than ours???

Have they even heard of Charlie Ewels! Just watch his last game (and no others) to see how amazing he is (although he only played ok for an international lock) and then weep when you have to face this man mountain (he's not actually that big).

Just a note, please don't watch any other game he's played.