• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Ireland v England (20/03/2021)

It's easier to tackle a big person low than it is to go high. Have you never played?
Hahah, sure, as if you were in a position to lecture me about this. Hillarious. Thanks, that cracked me up.
It's not just about big or small. It's about a big person going low. That is precisely what makes the situation difficult to handle. There is a lot of momentum with a low centre of gravity and the laws do not allow you to make contact with the tip of the spear about to hit you until it's past your line. That's the entire bloody point.

If this is such a huge unavoidable issue how do teams ever manage to keep all 15 players on the pitch for the full 80.
First, i never said unavoidable. I said and i quote "In some cases". People do not charge the same way in the midfield as they do when in the last 5 metres, and for good reasons.
Second, context is kinda relevant. You can get away with doing that in some places of the pitch, but not in others, definitely not in the last meters.

A] being driven back 1-2 metres in the tackle (for examples, see most tackles made on Billy when he first burst onto the scene)
B] drawing in an extra man to help you make the tackle (for examples, see most tackles made on Billy)
C] forget the macho ****, go low, hit him in the midrif, and drive him upwards and backwards (for examples, see Faf De Clerk or Underhill)
D] line the tackle up early, and go in like an exocet; targetting the carrier's belly button (for examples, see Lawes)
E] get red carded (and subsequently banned) for dangerous play, and potentially giving a colleague brain damage (for examples, see Aki today, or Aki during the RWC, or many other examples over the last few years)
Circumstantial and not all of them mutually exclusive, but a couple of fair points. I can work with this.

a) Not always an option, definitely not desirable in the last 10-20 meters.
b) This! Not sure how efficient it is but it can and does work.
c) If you are talking on FdK's tackle on Hughes, (arguably his most 'popular' tackle) Hughes was barely trotting, sideways (parallel to the in goal line) and didn't see FdK coming. I wouldn't use that as an example.
d) But then the problem becomes the speed. He changes his speed, minimally, and you wend up hitting his head instead of his belly.
e) ...

My point is that defenders have it hard enough already and those options aren't fair. I am not advocating for them to go bashing heads with their shoulders, but if they are standing their ground, knees bent, do their best to wrap, and the charger comes low enough that head collides with the shoulder of the tackler, then so be it.
You want to protect yourself? then don't charge with your head.

Hahah, sure, as if you were in a position to lecture me about this. Hillarious. Thanks, that cracked me up.
It's not just about big or small. It's about a big person going low. That is precisely what makes the situation difficult to handle. There is a lot of momentum with a low centre of gravity and the laws do not allow you to make contact with the tip of the spear about to hit you until it's past your line. That's the entire bloody point.

First, i never said unavoidable. I said and i quote "In some cases". People do not charge the same way in the midfield as they do when in the last 5 metres, and for good reasons.
Second, context is kinda relevant. You can get away with doing that in some places of the pitch, but not in others, definitely not in the last meters.

Circumstantial and not all of them mutually exclusive, but a couple of fair points. I can work with this.

c) If you are talking on FdK's tackle on Hughes, (arguably his most 'popular' tackle) Hughes was barely trotting, sideways (parallel to the in goal line) and didn't see FdK coming. I wouldn't use that as an example.
d) But then the problem becomes the speed. He changes his speed, minimally, and you wend up hitting his head instead of his belly.
e) ...

My point is that defenders have it hard enough already and those options aren't fair. I am not advocating for them to go bashing heads with their shoulders, but if they are standing their ground, knees bent, do their best to wrap, and the charger comes low enough that head collides with the shoulder of the tackler, then so be it.
Nonsense so the ball carrier should either carry the ball standing completely upright or run backwards? he wasn't standing his ground he initiated the tackle with his shoulder to the head there isn't much more to it than that I am afraid, I am glad it didn't affect the outcome of the game though.

e) ...

I am in a position to lecture you about this actually. Let's look at some evidence, we have 4 and a half games were defenders managed to tackle the 'rampaging billy' legally. Then all of a sudden according to you it's not possible.

I do have to ask though, have you ever played rugby? Because I have for a long time. And big people running at speed are much easier to stop by going low. You'd know that if you'd ever played ffs.

e) ...

Why are you choosing to die on this hill? Head contact = red. Stop being silly.

Well done Ireland. Better than England in every department.
So bad I walked outside on 70 mins and couldn't watch the ineptness of England a minute longer.

At least this hiding should force big changes for the next England international?
Should be time to say thanks and bye bye to Mako, Hill, Youngs, Ewell, Farrell and Daly (unless he is moved from 15) Billy needs to find some form before being considered again.

Just about to slip on my blue shirt.
Allez Les Blues

Why are you choosing to die on this hill? Head contact = red. Stop being silly.

The issue with this is that in the wider context of the game its not that simple.

Many of the HIAs we see are called on defenders injured in the tackle. Often by hips, knees or elbows. I saw a study on head injuries commissioned before the World Cup in '19 by WR and it showed across the pro game 75%+ of HIA failures were by defenders. There was a trial in an U17 competition in France based on tackles only below waist level in youth rugby and it had to be abandoned after one round of games because of the massive amount of head knocks to defenders.

So ultimately asking defenders to go lower could evidently lead to more head injuries.
Players put in hits like Akis today because it allows them to safely spot a location for their head.

In the end WR have gone down a road that they can't come back up and its going to bite them either way

Have not read any comments on this thread as of this post... post you rating of the England performance out of 10. I half watched it while decorating seems we got thoroughly outplayed.

Have not read any comments on this thread as of this post... post you rating of the England performance out of 10. I half watched it while decorating seems we got thoroughly outplayed.
1/10

Daly might have been our best player...

Latest posts