• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Ireland vs Scotland (01/02/20)

Lads it's a fair team.

Front row is fair call. Herring deserves start and not to overheap pressure on Kelleher. He's just back from a layoff. Ease him back.

2nd row deserves spots.

Backrow is probably the form guys
9 and 10. Conor has played well lately and well rumour of Cooney not being the favourite man of Sexton I'm sure there must be some truth. But well both are experienced and I suppose Farrell wants that in the heart.

Centres are the form guys.
Back 3 is fair too.

16,17 &18 all deserve there if not more.
Toner is no 19 but well in form and best of what available
POM again is there for lineout and tactical reasons.
Cooney and Byrne are there.
23. Henshaw is no 23 and big worry is if Larmour goes down does he go 15.

Apparently Earls and Addison both have dealt with injury issues

Conway is the obvious choice to switch to 15 if Larmour gets injured.

Apparently Earls and Addison both have dealt with injury issues

Conway is the obvious choice to switch to 15 if Larmour gets injured.
Of course! Also good to hear, Worst thing about the squad for me was having both Henshaw and Aki. Stank of lack of any thought process other than getting the best/favourite players on the pitch.

Great point made by Mike Catt too on the 9 jersey. "Doris is the form youngster in the country and it's vital he has an experienced 9 for him too. And that this is a championship so we can't afford to over experiment. Yes we could throw alot of youngsters and inexperienced guys in and it may go brilliant or bad so it's vital for balance"

Not saying that Conor is vindicated but they do offer a fair reason. The same could be said for Ronan Kelleher.

Decent team overall. There'll be much wailing and knashing of teeth over Cooney but Murray has gotten better in the last while. Don't love Henshaw at 23 but with Earls and Addison injured is the best option.

O'Mahony and Toner on the bench seems like trying to make life as easy as possible for Kelleher when he comes on which is fair, but I'd honestly be much more worried by Herring's throwing, Ulster's lineout has been atrocious the last few weeks. Depending on how things go wouldn't be surprised to see 19/20 be taken by a more dynamic option though (although the sub front row has no shortage of impact in fairness).

Overall the right balance between change and practicality I think. Evolution rather than revolution. Cooney and Kelleher both have a clear route into the team from here if they take their chances which is all anyone can ask for, beyond that not much for anyone to get worked up over. Backrow call is very fair as well and I think the best option available, but I will be disappointed if we don't see Deegan at some stage during the tournament.

The team is ok-ish... there has to be a balance of changes vs. combinations.

Now if Murray is having (yet) another stinker - don't leave him out there for 75 mins.

*I would not have had POM in my squad, Ruddock instead. I'd have started Henshaw and I would have had Addison on the bench. Other than that, can't complain too much. I know why he started Murray and its a valid argument (and Cooney's box kicking isn't where it needs to be).

The team is ok-ish... there has to be a balance of changes vs. combinations.

Now if Murray is having (yet) another stinker - don't leave him out there for 75 mins.

*I would not have had POM in my squad, Ruddock instead. I'd have started Henshaw and I would have had Addison on the bench. Other than that, can't complain too much. I know why he started Murray and its a valid argument (and Cooney's box kicking isn't where it needs to be).
I think Cooney is more brought down by his stats compared to Murray which is circling alot. It doesn't make for great reading in 1 sense. Luke McGrath is more unlucky based on these. But stats can be misleading and well Cooney is in form.

On backrow I can see why POM is there but can't say Ruddock has missed out. On form Jack O'Donoghue and Deegan are well clear and deservedly in squad ahead of Ruddock.

Henshaw has not been great lately so can't argue being behind Aki and Addison was injur3d on and off on camp it seems

I think Cooney is more brought down by his stats compared to Murray which is circling alot. It doesn't make for great reading in 1 sense. Luke McGrath is more unlucky based on these. But stats can be misleading and well Cooney is in form.

On backrow I can see why POM is there but can't say Ruddock has missed out. On form Jack O'Donoghue and Deegan are well clear and deservedly in squad ahead of Ruddock.

Henshaw has not been great lately so can't argue being behind Aki and Addison was injur3d on and off on camp it seems
What state is he falling back on out of interest?

I hate that the narrative has shifted to what John Cooney can't do rather than what he can. He's an excellent attacking player. So what if he can't box kick as well as Conor Murray, box kicking is dying as an attacking weapon.

What state is he falling back on out of interest?
His turnovers,
His kicking,
His defensive stats

Now I will say again I'm not against Cooney starting. Only reason I like Murray starting is to ease pressure on Doris but again it is good for Ireland to have competition.

His turnovers,
His kicking,
His defensive stats

Now I will say again I'm not against Cooney starting. Only reason I like Murray starting is to ease pressure on Doris but again it is good for Ireland to have competition.

The difference in kicking and tackles is background noise and neither a differentiator worth mentioning.

I see the 42.ie had stats up.

Try assists:
Cooney: 2
McGrath: 6
Murray: 9

Linebreak passes:
Cooney: 1 [I find this somewhat hard to believe, I'd swear I've seen him pass off more than once to forward who punch through a hole - I wonder how they define linebreak]
McGrath: 8
Murray: 8

Linebreaks:
Cooney: 15
McGrath: 8
Murray: 0

Defenders beaten:
Cooney: 27
McGrath: 11
Murray: 4

Kicks retained:
Cooney: 14%
McGrath: 16%
Murray: 15%

Turnovers:
Cooney: 24
McGrath: 9
Murray: 13

On the conclusion of those stats, Cooney makes more linebreaks than Murray makes linebreak passes + linebreaks. Verdict: Cooney.

By dint of those linebreaks, he ends up in greater danger of getting isolated and turned over. Hence the turnover stat being much higher - that should not be used as a stat to beat him with.

The other thing is it's hard to decide by club games in 1 sense. Murray was off form but would always look poor statistically given we were poor. Yes his form was poor too. But styles of rugby decide too.

Again not trying to defend Conor as if Cooney was starting I'd have been happy too. I was one of his biggest supporters before todays announcement

Cooney is unlucky but like I said he's presumably going to get decent time off the bench (instead of the traditional 3 minutes with the result decided our 21 has gotten the last few years).

Another point is that Murray knew on some level that no matter how he played he'd still start under the old regime. Now he's going to be acutely aware that he's playing for his place and a poor game is leaving the door open to Cooney. If starting Cooney is as easy a call as some (not here) would have is believe he'll show it off the bench. Kelleher too although I do have my doubts about Herring, he's not a medium term solution let alone a long term one.

As for McGrath he was poor earlier this season but over the last month of so has noticeably improved, wouldn't have him involved unless one of Cooney/Murray start absolutely stinking the joint out though.

Interesting the leadership group is Sexton, POM, Ryan, Henderson, Furlong, and Ringrose.

Latest posts