• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Super Rugby] The Final (6 July 2019)

I wonder if this a sign of things to come and we see ABs 3 peating in Japan come 2 November.

good game, pretty intense and close first half before the crusaders defense and scrum kinda put the game beyond doubt for them in the 2nd. could say it was close but this was a big win for a final considering in a RR game the crusaders would have gone for the corner and 7 rather than kick for 3 like they did last night. In particular when they got that scrum penalty right on the line that is an awesome chance to go for another scrum and draw a card and/or a penalty try with the scrum dominance they had. Still the Jags were worthy contenders. I'd like to see another Argentinian side in super rugby.

Bit of an end of an era for the crusaders. They are going to be a heck of a different side next year without Tordd, Sam, Read, Taufua, Franks and whoever else missing, throw Dagg in too after his earlier injury retirement.
all eyes on the NPC this ear with all the spots opening up in super rugby. Its insane

Also losing a couple of very talented coaches in Mooar and ROG.

cruzader's try was out of hands in the ruck
No, it wasn't. It came from a legal turnover.... in a Maul, not a Ruck

Game time 24:29 - YT time 0:48

FYI, when a Maul goes to ground, it does not become a Ruck. ANYONE is entitled to play at the ball.

todd off side all night.

Counted 3 high tackles by the crusaders.

Really? Show me!

Please tell that is just a typo, and you are not implying the referee was paid to not see infringements by one side

Last edited:
Crusaders won fair imo. The only thing i caught i didnt like was whitelock preventing lavanini from standing up in the ruck that lead to the maul that lead to the crusades try, but to be fair, although the letter of the law is on lavaninis side i know they are never called. Even with hindsight i cant help feeling a bit pedantic just by mentioning it. I'm sure crusader fans spot their stuff too. Overall i think Jaco did ok.
I actually thought the no try on maul was a standout call as i believe a LOT of refs wouldn't have checked. Half of the jaguares team thought it was a try, you can tell by their body language.

We had our chances and we missed them.

We will be back, and with the unfair advantage of having no derbies to worry about, probably do alright.

@smartcooky off sides and hands in the ruck are difficult to see and are up to interpretation.
in the other hand the high takes are not.
counted 3 by the crusaders.
I'm not saying payper cheated. or was biased. actually it looked as if he wanted an entretaining game.
imo It was way better for sanzaar if the jags won. so I guess they where rooting for the jaguares. I mean how boring is the crusades wining over and over..
believe it or not the payper spelling is coincidence I don't know how to write it!

Finally got a chance to watch. Kinda crushed, it looked like the Jags really had a lot of chances, but over and over they coughed it up after building phases and getting so so close... Oh well, fair play to the 'Saders.

Follow-up - was this performance a good sign or a bad sign for Argentina going into the World Cup?

Finally got a chance to watch. Kinda crushed, it looked like the Jags really had a lot of chances, but over and over they coughed it up after building phases and getting so so close... Oh well, fair play to the 'Saders.

Follow-up - was this performance a good sign or a bad sign for Argentina going into the World Cup?

Well, they're primed to go better than ever... and they always go well to be fair. The only issue is (& it does have some positives too) is that they only 'really' have one team to draw players from.

I'm confident that they'll qualify out of their group, maybe even win it and then they'll have either Wales or Oz in the QF... which would be deemed 'win-able' by all three sides.

Last edited:
jags played awesome. just little errors let them down.
saders had their final last week vs the canes imo
this week they just put a huge defensive wall up and jags kept bashing at it.
this will only fire up the pumas for WC. they will be looking for scalps with the ABs at the top of that list

Add Sánchez, Isa, Cordero and the overseas props like Herrera and they're good to go for the RWC. They'll definitely get out of their group I think and they'd beat Australia if they play against them. Wales on the other hand would be a much closer game and a tough one to call. Cordero has been called up but does anyone know if Imhoff is being considered?

@smartcooky off sides and hands in the ruck are difficult to see and are up to interpretation.
in the other hand the high takes are not.

You need to look at the video again. You claimed the Crusaders try came from hands in the ruck.... but there was no ruck. Todd ripped the ball out of a Jags players hands in a Maul - both players were standing up, on their feet.

counted 3 by the crusaders.
I'm not saying payper cheated. or was biased. actually it looked as if he wanted an entretaining game.
imo It was way better for sanzaar if the jags won. so I guess they where rooting for the jaguares. I mean how boring is the crusades wining over and over..
believe it or not the payper spelling is coincidence I don't know how to write it!

The Crusaders set a high bar; the only way to beat them is to get better. The fact they they keep winning means they are better. Personally, I would rather see excellence rewarded, no matter who wins.

Glad to see your not accusing the referee if intentioal bias... and is name is Jaco Peyper.

It was a fair match. Ref was good.

We had 2 plays at 5 yards and missed them. They got one and scored. Also Bonilla kicked so bad all night long. This are the small things that you need to win.

pd. We have a few players leaving....Matera is one of them huge loss.

Add Sánchez, Isa, Cordero and the overseas props like Herrera and they're good to go for the RWC. They'll definitely get out of their group I think and they'd beat Australia if they play against them. Wales on the other hand would be a much closer game and a tough one to call. Cordero has been called up but does anyone know if Imhoff is being considered?

Imhoff won't be called up IMO

He's 31 years old and only plays wing where Los Pumas are stacked already:

Cordero Moyano Delguy Cancilliere Boffelli & a bunch of other U20 stars to emerge as well

Los Pumas will be dangerous in the RWC I believe they'll be the 1st team to arrive in Japan

Australia might struggle to get out of the group TBH

Wales are a very good side but they remind me of Ireland in 2015 Alot of hype with a similar style of play

I can see Pumas turning them over

It was a fair match. Ref was good.

We had 2 plays at 5 yards and missed them. They got one and scored. Also Bonilla kicked so bad all night long. This are the small things that you need to win.

pd. We have a few players leaving....Matera is one of them huge loss.

Where's Matera going? Whomever will be a lucky club... think I've found my new man-crush actually.

Where's Matera going? Whomever will be a lucky club... think I've found my new man-crush actually.

Matera is off to Stade Francais and will be a teammate of Nicolas Sanchez

Lavaninni is of to Leicester Tigers - he'll be missed but easy to replace
with Alemmano and Paulos around

Garcia Botta & Landajo are off to Harlequins - they won't be missed as they're out of favour
and essentially 3rd choice players at their perspective positions (LHP and SH)

Matera, to Stade Francais I think.

Regarding to our wing is true, but I prefer Imhoff over Cancellieri in that list.

Just, wondering if the ABs play the wrc final tomorrow I would field Mounga. When he was about to kick no matter where I have the feeling that there was no chance he to miss one and it was a final.
On the other hand what yours opinion of Miotti? I think he entered very well in the match, few minutes of course but I think he was what the match needed for us. I don't know if I m biased because I rate him over Bonilla (have to say he had a great tournament though) and was 4.30 in the morning with the tv in mute so maybe I'm just delirious.

Matera is off to Stade Francais and will be a teammate of Nicolas Sanchez

Lavaninni is of to Leicester Tigers - he'll be missed but easy to replace
with Alemmano and Paulos around

Garcia Botta & Landajo are off to Harlequins - they won't be missed as they're out of favour
and essentially 3rd choice players at their perspective positions (LHP and SH)

Cheers for the info... what with Sergio Parisse leaving I wonder whether they may try Matera at 8. He's more than big enough and certainly has the skill set and then some.

Matera, to Stade Francais I think.

Regarding to our wing is true, but I prefer Imhoff over Cancellieri in that list.

Just, wondering if the ABs play the wrc final tomorrow I would field Mounga. When he was about to kick no matter where I have the feeling that there was no chance he to miss one and it was a final.
On the other hand what yours opinion of Miotti? I think he entered very well in the match, few minutes of course but I think he was what the match needed for us. I don't know if I m biased because I rate him over Bonilla (have to say he had a great tournament though) and was 4.30 in the morning with the tv in mute so maybe I'm just delirious.

I like Cancilliere as he can cover Scrum Half as well

Imhoff is a luxury that's not needed atm & he's not played for the Pumas in 4 years

Miotti made a noticeable difference when he came on but I have to say his chip kick to the corner was poor
Pitch was wet already Kick with less power and shorter in length and Moroni scores in the corner

Miotti is a player for the future Play some games for Jaguares XV and Jaguares and gain experience

Bonilla chose a bad time to have his worst game of the season but he deserves to play in RWC

I agree with most comments. A tough grinding Northern Hemisphere type of game. Bit boring for a neutral, but befitting of a final.
Crusaders had an outstanding team in 2019, which history will remember as one of the best ever Super Rugby teams.
Next year Crusaders many will be gone and they'll come back to the field (but still be tough).
Jaguares had a huge season and I'd give their Coach "Coach of the Season". He transformed their game away from South African style, toward NZ/Aus style of play and reaped the rewards. I enjoyed watching them.
Don't go on about having to travel for the Final. Home advantage is the reward you get for your performance throughout the season.
And don't go on about Ref's mistakes. At the end of the day Ref's mistakes generally balance out. You've got to take your chances and Jaguares didn't take their big one when it counted. That's why they lost - not because the Ref missed this or that.

Someone can tell me if the Crusaders tried to do "La Gran Cacho"?????.

Essentially their scrum isn't up to it and that continues to be shown up, including in this game. Therefore They won't win the World Cup. In a tight game you can't afford to give away scrum penalties

Latest posts