• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Italy vs Wales (09/02/2019)

Very poor today from Wales. Very few positives to take away from it... apart from the fact that it actually could've been worse.

Wales should definitely be disappointed. Gatland was too complacent looking to blood his squad. Wales can still win but this is not the momentum they wanted going into the first break.

Last edited:
Let's not dress this up this was a poor performance from Wales. I almost expected this arm wrestle type match . Watkin and young had good games, beard not so aled Davies was poor. Don't want to see him again this tournament unless absolutely necessary. Navidi mom well I thought he was better last week , Moriarty made an impact imo let's not have that backrow starting again for England I would have Navidi Young and Moriarty. Young put his hand up today .

Let's not dress this up this was a poor performance from Wales. I almost expected this arm wrestle type match . Watkin and young had good games, beard not so aled Davies was poor. Don't want to see him again this tournament unless absolutely necessary. Navidi mom well I thought he was better last week , Moriarty made an impact imo let's not have that backrow starting again for England I would have Navidi Young and Moriarty. Young put his hand up today .

Don't think anyone is dressing this up, it was... yeah i'll go there, embarrassing.

In the pub after a few drinks it looked forward. I'll get back to you tomorrow when I can look properly.

So apparently if the ball touches the body above the knee and 'maybe' it was just above Foxy's knee it is a knock on, so I'll humbly defer on this one.

So apparently if the ball touches the body above the knee and 'maybe' it was just above Foxy's knee it is a knock on, so I'll humbly defer on this one.

Thanks for that, it explains Pallazani's knock on call earlier that came off his belly.

Don't know what you can say about that bag of s**t Gatland does it all the time takes too many out and expects them to be the same, continuity is what we want before England we'll have to be mich better against England

Arguably the 2 easiest teams and 2 wins no BPs. Still have all the home nations to play. I cant see them getting any higher than 3rd but likely 4th. Attack just wasnt good enough from the backs they barely challinged an italian defence that got ripped appart last weekend.

Play like that vs England, Ireland and even scotland they will struggle alot.

At least gatland didn't dress it up this time by quoting " we've forgotten how to lose" carry on playing like this and we'll lose the next 3 , f##k the WC planning it's all about the 6Ns

While I don't disagree with the law book definition, I thought that it was generally accepted that a knock on was hitting the body anywhere between the neck and the knees. So knees and below are fine, as well as head being fine. Everything else is a knock on. Part of the problem comes from World Rugby's interpretation of the rules. I don't know if we go by what is written, or by what refs have been advised.

Don't see a problem with the game management myself.
Biggar was on from the start this time, to keep the points ticking over. Anscombe was supposed to be brought on later to put some points on the board, and (hopeful) bonus point.
Unfortunately, the scrum Half was pretty dire. Don't really see why they didn't play Tomos Williams again, for more experience, rather than the 'Gareth Davies lite' option.
As soon as Davies came on, Anscombe looked a lot better, and I feel Wales would have had a couple more tries with the better service to the back line.
Either way, it was a win, and I feel Wales can pick up a bonus point win vs a very average/below average Scotland side away.
Whatever happens in the rest of the 6 nations, we can all remember where we were. The day that will go down in infamy as the day where Liam Williams actually passed the f***ng ball.

Lloyd Williams may as well retire if Aled Davies is getting starts and he cant even make the squad. Wtf does Davies offer that he doesnt?

Lloyd is quicker, more of a running threat, kicks better, better defender.......I am sick of Aled Davies being given 'chances to impress'.

Apart from the dreadful lineouts, I thought the forwards did well. The main problem was the backs.

Backs need service. There was a blockage in the service with our 9 making Laidlaw look like a machine gunner. Slow, ponderous, lacking in vision. Young stepped in at 9 when Davies got caught in a ruck and magically a try appeared through quick service. Webb is our best 9 by miles. He is not available. Davies isnt even the best 9 at his club! Got a wales cap via the Scarlets effect and has been stealing them since. He is the worst starting 9 out of the 4 home regions(Rhodri at the Dragons offers more). I feel Habberfield is better at the Ospreys and Williamsx2 are both years ahead at the Blues.

Beard was poor other than a maul steal. Again why is he being favoured when Seb Davies only seems to get games out of position?

Hill really needs to start as even though he is no giant he definately sorts our lineout. I dont know why but when he is on it is so much more solid.

I do find it hard to slate the backs too much when they were fed such ponderous ball. I just dont get it. It would be like having a go at a toddler for being cr#p at walking when they hadnt learnt how to do it yet. If Howley knows nothing else surely it is sniping attacking 9 play?

Latest posts