• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 6 Nations] Round 4 : Ireland v Scotland (10/03/2018)

My stats are taken straight from ESPN.
Your backtracking on your points more than a Michael Jackson moonwalk.

Run along
ESPN tell me Ireland made 98 tackles and France 238 tackles.

Could you tell me where you saw your stat.
But as you say Sex Panther works 100% of the time 70% of the time.

So maybe you have run off already but I will Moonwalk away

Ringrose at 13 definitely adds an extra dimension in attack that they were missing in the centres

There is definitely room for improvement in terms of defensive communication. We played a ruthless game but let's not forget Scotland let our bad reads off the hook a few times. I think it's an area we'll continue to improve, but lack of width in defence continues to be the weakest part of our strong game. Would also like to see lineouts cleaned up in a big way and making the simple decisions in the opposition 22.
Was slightly surprised Kearney got MOTM just because our pack were so good. He was at his best missed tackle as side though. Ryan, Leavy or POM would have been the pick of the bunch for me. I don't think Sexton was near his best, but still dominated most of the game and outplayed his opposite number by a mile. Bench added good impact (Cronin especially), but was worried to see McGrath outmuscled in a few scrums. He was the form loosehead in the world not long ago, and while the competition between him and Healy is great, I'd like to see him back at his best. Stockdale is an X Factor man. His intercept against Wales speaks for itself, but his one on Saturday happened against the run of play and seriously turned the tide of the game and ended Scotland's purple patch in a big way.

I thought defensively we were much better out wide. We shouldn't be too critical of ourselves as Scotland are outstanding in that area and you can't expect to snuff every attack before the ball is whipped out.

I too am quite concerned with Sexton's form but he usually always shows up for the big games - the next one his biggest yet. He has such a reputation for being a game manager, you forget how dangerous he is with ball in hand.

My worry for England is it looks like injuries might force them to field an actual back row in Armand, Simmonds and Robshaw.

Even if England put out that backrow they're still weaker man for man against ours and have no 7, Leinster snuffed out Armand for 130 mins over the two games in December and CJ v Simmonds is a hell of a mismatch. The two botched Scottish chances weren't actually problems with the wide defence, it was bad organisation off the kick chase, again, and Leavy getting done one on one in midfield. Ringrose's lateral speed and reading of the game saw a huge improvement over Farrell and Earls in the previous one and a half games.

I thought Ringrose made a big difference too in defence. Is he out for this game, though?

I feel Ireland have not even approached the higher gears this championship but can they do it when it really matters - England certainly also have a few more gears too

The score line is the reality of the final result, you can say whatever you want about what it could have been or should have been and how the score line doesn't reflect the effort mighty Scotland put in, and they did put in a mighty effort, very threatening. However, they failed to finish due to poor ball handling when it counts so therefore the score reflects the reality of the game, not some ideal.

You are misrepresenting the quote. It is entirely fair to comment on a match being closer than the scoreline. For the sake of argument, if Ireland are even with England next week on possession, territory, tackles made and line breaks in the opposing 22 but lose by 20 points due to a lack of execution it would be utterly fair for someone to say, as above, that the "match was closer than the scoreline suggests".

I'm not saying Scotland were that close against Ireland in this game, but it's a fair argument that a 20 points loss doesn't fully reflect the performance of both teams. Similarly, I'd argue that Ireland losing at Murrayfield last season didn't quite reflect Ireland's superiority in other statistical areas (other than the scoreline).

I agree, Scotland were terrible against Wales and it probably could have been worse. However against Ireland there were positives and they did create chances just couldn't finish them off, on a different day those passes go to hand. Ireland were clearly the better team but I don't think they was as better as Scotland as the score line suggested.

You are misrepresenting the quote. It is entirely fair to comment on a match being closer than the scoreline. For the sake of argument, if Ireland are even with England next week on possession, territory, tackles made and line breaks in the opposing 22 but lose by 20 points due to a lack of execution it would be utterly fair for someone to say, as above, that the "match was closer than the scoreline suggests".

I'm not saying Scotland were that close against Ireland in this game, but it's a fair argument that a 20 points loss doesn't fully reflect the performance of both teams. Similarly, I'd argue that Ireland losing at Murrayfield last season didn't quite reflect Ireland's superiority in other statistical areas (other than the scoreline).
Ignore him, he's a goon.

Ringrose fine for England game. Only concern is Healy and that down as just a stinger

Think the Huw Jones botched chance was really a turning point. They score there and it's arguably ending a 1 score result

Think the Huw Jones botched chance was really a turning point. They score there and it's arguably ending a 1 score result

Its arguably ending in a Scottish win!

We were very nervous I thought prior to the Stockdale intercept. Put Scotland ahead and the nerves would likely have resurfaced.

Its arguably ending in a Scottish win!

We were very nervous I thought prior to the Stockdale intercept. Put Scotland ahead and the nerves would likely have resurfaced.
Well not a definite Scottish win but mentality on both sides changes

I read this muppet's post and he needs to watch some videos of Joe Schmidt in order to learn some humility and class. The original poster was clear in his recognition of Ireland deserving to win and offering his congratulations and was flamed unnecessarily.

On the game. Though I think Townsend made a real valid point. Ireland are 3 years ahead. Scotland are on the right track and have clarity on their gameplan. Just need to learn a few things which are part of the process

Latest posts