• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Super Rugby] Hurricanes vs. Chiefs (Round 14) 16/05/2015

The Chiefs were hard done by at the end, but they've got away with plenty of crap over the last couple of years anyway. ****le off the ball, blatant obstruction, etc. Tameifuna, and the front row in general are usual suspects. They endured what the rest of the country have had to put up with every time we come up against them.

Larksea is a bit butt hurt.

The Squire tackle was also late and he made no effort to take Nonu down safely.

I've now seen the Goodes charge last night on "Rugby Nation". Looks bad in slow motion but then they always do. Only Goodes will know what was going through his mind in that split second.
Tony Johnson said this type of tackle outlawed in League and he felt they need to do the same in Union. I'd agree with that. Mind you Goodes is out for a week so it's just a matter of debating whether or not the punishment fits the crime.

Squire tackle is a yellow these days. Soft, but that's the way they rule it. He needs to take more care.

Not many Chiefs supporters in Wellington? A poor crowd for a big game

It's not as easy to get to Wellington from Hamilton. It's an 8 hour drive and domestic flights in NZ are pretty expensive compared to other countries unless you can get something on sale.
you are more likely to see a lot of Chiefs fans at a Blues home game because it's easy to drive up to Auckland from Hamilton.

I've now seen the Goodes charge last night on "Rugby Nation". Looks bad in slow motion but then they always do. Only Goodes will know what was going through his mind in that split second.
Tony Johnson said this type of tackle outlawed in League and he felt they need to do the same in Union. I'd agree with that. Mind you Goodes is out for a week so it's just a matter of debating whether or not the punishment fits the crime.

Squire tackle is a yellow these days. Soft, but that's the way they rule it. He needs to take more care.

RL calls it a "cannonball tackle". It's righly outlawed in RL and I agree 100% with TJ that it ought to be outlawed in RU

haha yeah I'm just making it all up and the fact there are news articles everywhere about the officiating in this game and that the TMO from this game has been stood down are all just a coincidence.

actually the one thing the chiefs supporter in me takes from the game is that the chiefs were actually the better side and despite having no locks for more than half the game, losing a man for 10min and some poor ref calls the chiefs almost won, and would have won in a scenario the officiating was more accurate.

That should give them a lot of confidence for the return fixture and any post season meetings. Given that both teams are all but set to make the finals.

the other big thing was how much gear has improved. He looks like he's going to be a huge asset for the chiefs going into the tail end of the season.

so far officially by sanzar/referee's governing body the canes have earned an off field Red card and yellow card for this game

"Sanzar has ruled the controversial television match official decision made late in the Hurricanes' 22-18 win over the Chiefs in Wellington on Saturday night was wrong.
The competition governing body's game manager Lyndon Bray confirmed on Tuesday the match-defining incident involving foul play missed by referee Glen Jackson and TMO Vinny Munro was incorrectly ruled on."

this was not just some run of the mill bad calls or rub of the green. it's very rare to get a single incident in a game resulting in off field action, this game had two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell this one really made you sad :(.

How many times has 'simultaneous grounding of the ball while touching the line' be ruled enough for a try? Nonu was touching the ball when it grounded - totally inconsistent requirement of control considering what has been awarded this season. Same with James Marshall's try which a very iffy forward pass was caught (which again we've seen 100 of them awarded this season). But you ignore this because your beloved Chiefs lost. Boo hoo. It's not that rare that two incidents of foul play are cited in a game (a yellow card offence isn't even punishable after citing) - considering the Hurricanes very good disciplinary record (much better than the Chiefs) it's hardly like you can start really whinging that much.

RL calls it a "cannonball tackle". It's righly outlawed in RL and I agree 100% with TJ that it ought to be outlawed in RU

Thing is it looks like a cannonball tackle but I still say that was not Goodes intent. He was clearing out a ruck. The only reason it turned out the way it did was the Chiefs player was over the ball before the hurricanes so they had to clear him instantly or loose the ball. So they both took the quickest route to effect that. In goodes case it was from the side and he didnt have time to reposition for correct entry so he took the gamble. In this case he probably came out of that gamble pretty well off (the other guy not so)...

The actual problem here is rucking and how attacking players are allowed to clearout PAST the ball (among other things). Again it happens in every game and its a far bigger menace than a "cannonball" tackle that we might see once in a blue moon. The other side of the coin is the player defending and trying to snaffle the ball. I havent looked at the injured players attempt to snaffle enough to know weather his attempt was legal but I suspect it was o.k at first glance. Usually they are over the ball way to fast and not allowing the attacker to place the ball after tackle which is one of the biggest gripes of mine.

The CANNONBALL tackle issue is a whole other issue imo and it rarely happens even though its not really illegal. I suppose the assertion seems to be players are now going to go around cannonballing each other and I just dont buy it.

Last edited:
I can tell this one really made you sad :(.

How many times has 'simultaneous grounding of the ball while touching the line' be ruled enough for a try? Nonu was touching the ball when it grounded - totally inconsistent requirement of control considering what has been awarded this season. Same with James Marshall's try which a very iffy forward pass was caught (which again we've seen 100 of them awarded this season). But you ignore this because your beloved Chiefs lost. Boo hoo. It's not that rare that two incidents of foul play are cited in a game (a yellow card offence isn't even punishable after citing) - considering the Hurricanes very good disciplinary record (much better than the Chiefs) it's hardly like you can start really whinging that much.

wow are you as much of a ****** in real life as you are on the forum? any particular reason you feel the need to belittle me other than your just insecure?

only thing that upsets me is seeing an early 20's player get his knee blown out by what was "probably" a deliberate and targeted hit. I dont think anyone could watch that and not be a bit upset.

name one other game where sanzar officials have handed out an off field red card and also came out and stated that the game defining 79th minute referee call was wrong and the referee involved was stood down, since you say it's not that rare I'm sure it will be easy for you.

Both the calls against the canes were tough but they weren't wrong.

chiefs discipline does suck, but they pay for it a lot and never seem to get away with it enough to make it a viable plan. It does seem a bit stupid at times.

It's not as easy to get to Wellington from Hamilton. It's an 8 hour drive and domestic flights in NZ are pretty expensive compared to other countries unless you can get something on sale.
you are more likely to see a lot of Chiefs fans at a Blues home game because it's easy to drive up to Auckland from Hamilton.

Yeah I thought something like that. I meant no many Chiefs supporters who are living in Wellington

Larksea - you just are the most one eyed Chiefs fan that there is simply little point. As it is you ignored any points on the referee, insisted on your "it was deliberate!" theory, continue to blame a loss soley on a referee decision.

SANZAR has issued plenty of bans this season which weren't picked up on the time. Trying to say this is a remarkable case of referee incompetence is just simply being one eyed yet again. The Chiefs lost, walk it off mate.

Yeah I thought something like that. I meant no many Chiefs supporters who are living in Wellington

I was at the game and their were plenty of Chiefs fans around me. I was quite surprised by how many.
The 18.000 crowd was probably about what they were hoping for. People aren't turning out too games like they used too and with all the floods and cancellations in the Region many would have made an early decision to stay home.

The Chiefs lost, walk it off mate.

Given the fact that 2 officials have been demoted I would say that it is a case of poor refereeing determining the outcome of a game, as a Chiefs fan I have no problem with them losing game when they play bad, eg Rebels.

But when the referee makes a bad call that changes the outcome of the game then it gets frustrating, 3-4 games in the last 2 years the Chiefs have lost due to this, as do other franchises, and all fans have the right to feel aggrieved, with the competition tightening up and games getting harder to win these calls have far more importance on them then years gone past.

When rugby wonders why fan bases at live games are diminishing they need to be looking at this, fans don't want to pay good money to see live games ruined by incompetence, when you compare this to say football, it would take 10-15x the amount of games in football to get the same level of poor referee game discussion happening, and football referees do not have big screen replays.

Actually, nobody has been demoted - this is a complete fabrication that has been allowed to run, and lack of transparency/honesty by SANZAR. Unless they know something we don't, nobody has been punished, and referees are prohibited from apologizing publicly (which is ridiculous).

Munro was never scheduled to work a match this week anyway, and Jackson had been assigned as being assistant referee for weeks in advance. Rennie seemed satisfied with 'action' taken, but no action has been taken. He, like the rest of us, have been misled.

Kind of hypocritical from an organization that demands accountability and transparency, yet won't let officials acknowledge their mistakes in public nor name names when announcing that officials will face selection consequences. The whole thing is a mess.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11451302

Actually, nobody has been demoted - this is a complete fabrication that has been allowed to run, and lack of transparency/honesty by SANZAR. Unless they know something we don't, nobody has been punished, and referees are prohibited from apologizing publicly (which is ridiculous).

Munro was never scheduled to work a match this week anyway, and Jackson had been assigned as being assistant referee for weeks in advance. Rennie seemed satisfied with 'action' taken, but no action has been taken. He, like the rest of us, have been misled.

Kind of hypocritical from an organization that demands accountability and transparency, yet won't let officials acknowledge their mistakes in public nor name names when announcing that officials will face selection consequences. The whole thing is a mess.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11451302

Exactly its all just lip service as per usual. They knew they were getting bad press so they did a bit of public relations and now they will brush it under the carpet move on and let the rot continue.

And I also agree with TRF nick. Its not just the Chiefs this has happened to although if you only read this thread or didnt follow any of the other matches this year you might think it.

The issue is not a one off game cock up this has been going on all bloody season!!

Last edited:
Couple of points from last nights TV show hosted by Jeff Wilson.
1. Refs are making errors all the time - they only human - this one magnified because it in the final minute.
2. Nonu "try", that was ruled a knock on, was actually a try. Rolled up his arm, then back down to hand where he grounded it.

Latest posts