• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Super Rugby] Crusaders vs. Highlanders (Round 9) 11/04/2015

I remember having discussions about Deans with Aucklanders years ago on Kiwi rugby forums. History has proved me right about him. They were trying to make out as if he was a clueless git who had the luxury of a Dan Carter and Ricchie McCaw when they were in form yet didn't have any coaching credibility once in a challenging environment. Look at the Wallabies record - they haven't done nearly as well without him, not even "kinda sorta" close. They were like 2nd in the world under him .. now what are they...6th? But that's another story haha.

How good is Naholo for the Highlanders!?

It's the way they're being coached for the most part. Under Daryl Gibson this sort of unimaginative, impatient, side-side repetitive stuff wasn't happening; granted, it was a different era. But we let a hell of a backline coach go because of what Blackadder wanted to do with him.

I also think we lack an extra punch somethings. A Robbie Fruean of old in the midfield perhaps? But that was just a sloppy effort all round tonight unfortunately. There were a lot of people doing a lot of silly things. But the Highlanders have tipped up some good teams this year, they deserve credit.

Disappointing as this would have been a golden opportunity to move into 3rd and slowly climb the ladder in a competitive conference. We have the Chiefs next week, so it doesn't get any easier.

They just have no imagination in the backs. They're fine against teams that fall off tackles or leave gaps in the back-line, but when they come up against a strong, well-organised and committed defence, they just revert to their left to right to left shuffleball approach. I don't mind so much if they do shuffle back and forth so long as they end up gaining ground, but they don't, they basically throw it around until they lose it.

Blackadder must go!

I remember having discussions about Deans with Aucklanders years ago on Kiwi rugby forums. History has proved me right about him. They were trying to make out as if he was a clueless git who had the luxury of a Dan Carter and Ricchie McCaw when they were in form yet didn't have any coaching credibility once in a challenging environment. Look at the Wallabies record - they haven't done nearly as well without him, not even "kinda sorta" close. They were like 2nd in the world under him .. now what are they...6th? But that's another story haha.

100% agree with this... the stats dont lie

Australia under Deans
v All Comers.............P 74 W 43 - 58%
v 3N/RC...................P 32 W 12 - 38%
v NZ head 2 head.....P 18 W 3 - 17%

Australia under McKenzie
v All Comers........... P22 won 11 - 50%
v 3N/RC..................P14 won 4 - 29%
v NZ head 2 head....P 7 W 0 - 0%

Saders fans what do you guys think of Mauger does he have much influence in the team you think.

Only saying this as when he played for us in his last season he was a backs coach due to injury and our backs produced some of the best rugby I have seen from tigers (5 TBP wins on the trot) and took us to the HC cup final that was with players like Vesty and Staunton starting In it.

Also you can't moan about Gibson he wants to stay with us as a backs coach before he went to Glasgow but lofferda didn't want he. :( he was extremely keen to stay oh what could have been.

The thing for me is that the Crusaders are going to find themselves ending up like the Highlanders and Blues within the next couple of seasons if they dont sort this out. The other NZ teams are clearly making good offseason player selections and are improving. You cant say that about the Crusaders. They had a **** backline last year and its obvious to anybody that they needed to find a solid centre and another good winger.... what did they dig up... NOTHING.

Colin Slade should of started from the first game right through and left Dan to the later rounds (I think he's well past it anyway) Not shifting him back to fullback and the same ridiculousness as last year.

This tells me the coaching staff and the upper management at the saders are not on the ball.

Without Nadolo they really would be in trouble already I reckon.

Last edited:
I just think the attack patterns need a shake up. I was watching the Chiefs earlier in the season and even what they're doing is a hell of a lot different to what we're doing. Have a review, put a little more monetary investment into another X-factor player or two because Nadolo alone isn't enough. Crotty is awesome, and even the stats will tell you that, but there's no classic combo or depth in the midfield like the Chiefs have, or big names like the 'Canes.

Maybe they even need to consider whether the partnership of Tabai Matson and Aaron Mauger amongst the backs is working, what do they do individually and should they swap their roles, ala an All Blacks style coaching rotation? Is having both of them necessary? Mauger and Matson were both very successful in the ITM Cup. Canterbury for a few seasons there scored the most tries of the competition. But obviously the step up has been more challenging.

Thing is .. we have the forwards. But they can only get you so far. They lay the platform as the classic saying goes. But if you don't finish your opportunities off, then all the Ricchie McCaw's in the world don't mean jack.

Maybe they even need to consider whether the partnership of Tabai Matson and Aaron Mauger amongst the backs is working, what do they do individually and should they swap their roles, ala an All Blacks style coaching rotation? Is having both of them necessary? Mauger and Matson were both very successful in the ITM Cup. Canterbury for a few seasons there scored the most tries of the competition. But obviously the step up has been more challenging.

You know Mauger is leaving next season.

One of the theing that really ****** me off is seeing the Tasman players playing for other franchises.

Joe Wheeler, Marty Banks Shane Christie (Highlanders)
Bryce Heem, James Lowe, Quentin McDonald, Liam Squire (Cheifs)
Mitchell Scott (Force)

Tasman is a part of the Crusaders catchment, and their players should be playing for the Crusaders...

good game

pretty obvious winner in the Dagg vs. Smith dual

Ben Smith carries the highlanders big time in many ways, how critical were his long kicks while they were a man down?

...pretty happy they aren't!

would you rather they rode the bench in chch though? christie over mccaw/todd? banks over slade /carter? wheeler over whitelock? these guys are going to be coming back with a lot more experience

Lowe could probably do some good in that back line i'll give you that

Bryce Heem and James Lowe would have been awesome options to have. And I thought Quentin McDonald was a big loss when he left us. We probably could have been a bit stronger with Fruean in the mix. It wouldn't have solved our problems, but when he's on song it can make a difference.

Latest posts