• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 U20 Six Nations

27-0. Another try from JO'D who injured himself in the action. Was very impressive in his time on the pitch. Ringing the changes now.

EDIT: 34-0 try this time from Heffernan. Came from big chase and hit by Fitzpatrick following an up and under.

EDIT EDIT: Final score 34-7

Last edited:
I do find it weird how some things are shown just on Welsh TV that nobody else in the UK can watch. Unless BBC Wales is entirely funded by Welsh people, it should be available for everyone.

Just the way that regional TV is split up I guess, trying to make sure it reaches it's main target audience. That said, games on BBC Wales and S4C (as well as BBC ALBA and BBC NI which cover most Glasgow, Edinburgh and Ulster home games between them) are actually available to everyone with Sky, Freesat and any other satellite service out there, possibly Virgin and BT too.

A good nights work from the Irish pack. I thought McCarthy had a good game too at 9 and Byrne at 10.

We didn't see anything from 11 to 15. I wasn't impressed with Robb though. He made a few mistakes too many and didn't really use his size to make the hard yards. Sub scrumhalf Cullen was all over the place too. Busby was probably the pick of the backs. I won't be too harsh on them though given the conditions.

All the pack played well. O'Donoghue looks a fine athlete. It was a slow game as the pitch turned into a bog. You get the feeling we didn't see what the pack are really capable of yet.

Another highlight of the match was the Irish teams handling in those conditions. Technically they look good. There was a few mistakes but much less than expected.

It has to be said that Scotland were terrible. They couldn't string 2 passes together. Their scrum went from being dominated to getting on top in the second half. It was some turnaround for whatever reason?!

Wales are next up. They had a nice warm up against Italy and games against them are usually close at this level. Lets hope the conditions are somewhat drier so we get a decent game.

Didn't catch much of the Wales game (car died the other night, diesel leaking everywhere and today was when I wanted to fix it). From what I saw, the Welsh pack looked pretty good, solid in the scrums despite giving 6st away to the Italians I think I heard one of the commentators say, good lineout, good work rate from the tight five, and an impressive looking backrow. James Benjamin looked especially impressive. Some good impact from the bench at lock and in the backrow too.

Solid looking halfback pairing with Tom Williams looking sharp at 9 and Ethan Davies mixing things up nicely. Centres also looked promising, although the conditions didn't allow them to do too much. Didn't get to see much of the back three bar Howells last try, so I can't comment too much there. Is there any news about whether Dixon and Amos will return from injury in time to slot in at some stage?

Next week should be a cracker. Wales and Ireland are usually quite well matched at this level, and by the sounds of it Ireland are looking strong again this season.

A good nights work from the Irish pack. I thought McCarthy had a good game too at 9 and Byrne at 10.

We didn't see anything from 11 to 15. I wasn't impressed with Robb though. He made a few mistakes too many and didn't really use his size to make the hard yards. Sub scrumhalf Cullen was all over the place too. Busby was probably the pick of the backs. I won't be too harsh on them though given the conditions.

All the pack played well. O'Donoghue looks a fine athlete. It was a slow game as the pitch turned into a bog. You get the feeling we didn't see what the pack are really capable of yet.

Another highlight of the match was the Irish teams handling in those conditions. Technically they look good. There was a few mistakes but much less than expected.

It has to be said that Scotland were terrible. They couldn't string 2 passes together. Their scrum went from being dominated to getting on top in the second half. It was some turnaround for whatever reason?!

Wales are next up. They had a nice warm up against Italy and games against them are usually close at this level. Lets hope the conditions are somewhat drier so we get a decent game.

Agree with this but also was impressed by scrum

First Blood to France the under 20's winning 21-15, excellent game from both sides despite the conditions (very greasy pitch and cold evening), the French played the last 16 mins with 14 on the park as the prop was harshly red carded.The English were excellent in defence and ginger nut (no7) was everywhere sometimes a bit too quick but no one could pull him up for his enthusiasm.
The French won the game on heart in the end, they defended like heroes with only 14 and even scored a try from close quarters, the French no 9, Serin ( as his name suggests) played out of his skin and was the best player on the park bossing everyone including the ref at times!!!
Also add France Universities, and France Federale and the girlie under 20's all won their games could this become a Rosbif whitewash???
An excellent game from both sides in not great conditions some of these boys have a great future in Pro rugby if they continue in the same vein.
An excellent game from both sides in not great conditions some of these boys have a great future in Pro rugby if they continue in the same vein.[/QUOTE]
Find it difficult to understand why these games are not screened live in the uk. in France all the French games are on national TV. even the girls are playing tonight at Grenoble and it is live with 6 Montpellerienn's in the team!!!

Last edited:
First Blood to France the under 20's winning 21-15, excellent game from both sides despite the conditions (very greasy pitch and cold evening), the French played the last 16 mins with 14 on the park as the prop was harshly red carded.The English were excellent in defence and ginger nut (no7) was everywhere sometimes a bit too quick but no one could pull him up for his enthusiasm.
The French won the game on heart in the end, they defended like heroes with only 14 and even scored a try from close quarters, the French no 9, Serin ( as his name suggests) played out of his skin and was the best player on the park bossing everyone including the ref at times!!!
Also add France Universities, and France Federale and the girlie under 20's all won their games could this become a Rosbif whitewash???
An excellent game from both sides in not great conditions some of these boys have a great future in Pro rugby if they continue in the same vein.
Find it difficult to understand why these games are not screened live in the uk. in France all the French games are on national TV. even the girls are playing tonight at Grenoble and it is live with 6 Montpellerienn's in the team!!!

Ireland appear to have a very well drilled pack. It's hard to assess the backline since, as profitius said, conditions were dreadful.

Jack O'Donoghue was a big positive for 60 minutes until his injury. I hope it's not to serious. He seems to be an explosive ball carrier. Sean O'Brien was next best of the pack, always going forward even from a standing start. Peter Dooley was the best front rower, completely dominating his opposite number in the scrum and showing up in the loose. Rory Burke had an excellent scrummaging first half before wilting in the second half. With a bit of work he could have a decent future. Dav Leavy was quiet apart from one cameo where he ripped the ball around the 22 and made a searing break.

Behind the scrum, Ross Byrne looked very composed. He attacks the gainline and seems to have soft hands. A couple of things to work on are overuse of the inside pop pass and a long wind up for his clearance kicks. He could be prone to charge downs. His 6'3" frame could be a big advantage if he adds some bulk to it. The other backs didn't get much of a chance to shine but David Busby looked lively in tough conditions.

Go to agree with you - What the hell is Sean Lineen thinking about?

Last night's result tells all. He's got to get the players to wake up and into the real world of high level rugby, and for God's sake there is no place for nepotism in sport - he should start Ben Cooper at 10 - perhaps then they'll see more points on the board!

Anyone know, if the England v Scotland U20 game is to be shown on any channels Uk side?

Scottish rugby youtube channel will show it.

How wet is the ball in the Irish game? The handling and passing skills are atrocious. It was understandable last weekend but this weekend I don't see any rain falling and just the direction of their passes are so wayward.

edit. Irish 11 went a bit spastic there. Can't see any of these Irish backs making a career out of rugby.

Last edited:
How wet is the ball in the Irish game? The handling and passing skills are atrocious. It was understandable last weekend but this weekend I don't see any rain falling and just the direction of their passes are so wayward.

edit. Irish 11 went a bit spastic there. Can't see any of these Irish backs making a career out of rugby.

Camera doesn't always show it, but earlier on it lwast it was absolutely *******. Ross Byrne is already in the Leinster academy he's got a pretty good chance.

This is a very poor overall performance though.

EDIT: Fitzpatrick really should have given that definite try otherwise.

Last edited:
Camera doesn't always show it, but earlier on it lwast it was absolutely *******. Ross Byrne is already in the Leinster academy he's got a pretty good chance.

This is a very poor overall performance though.

Ah ok there's a strong swirling wind as well. But even taking the conditions into account like you say the performance has been pretty dreadful. Lots of unforced errors. I'm not sure what to make of Ross Byrne.

Been honest I'd say the moist on pitch is heavy too. It's very understandable regards skill

That kick from Wales in the first half was insane, when he aimed 10yds outside the posts and the wind threw it in.
The Wales forwards definitely went in to 'beast mode' in that game though, was very impressed with the youngsters, and looks like there may be replacements for out front row.
There was some horrific passing by the Irish kids. Was unbelievable at one point in the second half, where the ball just seemed to be thrown in a random direction, hoping there would be someone to catch it (and if they did, it turned into a hospital pass).

How the heck do I insert a gif?
This is a link to a gif of that crazy kick...

http://gfycat.com/RichCloseGerbil

Last edited:
I didn't see the full game but of what I did see, Wales were far superior.

Ireland were second best up front and lacked both penetration and passing skills among the backs. Peter Dooley played pretty well in the loose although he was part of a pack that was mullered in the scrum.

Latest posts