• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Waratahs v Highlanders (Round 18)

They are top of the table yes. Best team in the comp... im not so sure. This performance although they are piling on the points now has not impressed me at all. This was a 2013 like performance by the HL for me very weird performance if you look back at the rest of their games they do seem to struggle against ozzy sides and ones with a proper 7.

If the Crusaders can find some sort of cohesive attack in their backline before the finals I think theyd blow this Tahs outfit off the field just with there forwards. Its a big IF though as they've been terrible most of the year.

To be honest the Crusaders haven't impressed me all that much this year... I know what you mean about the 'Tahs - we've looked a little brittle at times and I do worry about the pressure games - but I think you're thinking of the '08 vintage Crusaders. This year they've been much more inconsistent and look quite vulnerable for mine. They have a tendency to just go side-to-side I've noticed and have crumbled in a couple games when pressure has been put on them at the breakdown. To me they look a shadow of their former selves (the old Crusaders would never have been pumped by that England side either I don't think - even with the missing players) and I'm actually still more worried about the Sharks to be honest.

To be honest the Crusaders haven't impressed me all that much this year... I know what you mean about the 'Tahs - we've looked a little brittle at times and I do worry about the pressure games - but I think you're thinking of the '08 vintage Crusaders. This year they've been much more inconsistent and look quite vulnerable for mine. They have a tendency to just go side-to-side I've noticed and have crumbled in a couple games when pressure has been put on them at the breakdown. To me they look a shadow of their former selves (the old Crusaders would never have been pumped by that England side either I don't think - even with the missing players) and I'm actually still more worried about the Sharks to be honest.

Not thinking about the old Saders at all. That forward pack has pretty much single handedly put them in the position they are in. You clearly havent watched many of their games this year. Nearly every team (sharks) they've played this year even when they've lost they have decimated the opposition forward packs for the majority of the match.

The thing is even though they were all side to side recently they are beginning to get that crap ass back line to actually do something. And I think given a couple more weeks they might settle the back line down and do some real damage.

I think with Dan, Nodolo and Dagg back they will play a bit better with the tactical kicking and really put enormous pressure on teams to exit their halfs and the points will come.

Now if the Tahs can trick them like the blues to taking them on in the backline I think the Tahs would run away with it like the Blues but im sure the Saders learnt something from that match.

I've watched a fair few of their games, but there even with that pack they just don't inspire fear into me the way the have in the past... But you're right that Carter and Dagg being back will make their back line much more imposing. That's one thing the Waratahs do lack - a world class 10 that can both kick goals and control the match with his tactical kicking.

not sure I want to go to the game next week now...what the hell happened... We were wasting their scrum in the first half...then Walsh just started hammering us...it was like he heard the commentators comment on his stats with us and though "I can beat that!"...I blame the game plan, I looked like they heard the tahs say they'd be watching fekitoa and smith so thought we would use the back line at all

Last edited:
With Sanzar here I really don't think the Saders should inspire a lot of fear for any of the top sides, watching them shovel the ball side to side has been an all to common sight this year. Also if they're still settling in in the last weeks of the season theres clearly a lot of issues.

Beale is having a superlative level again, maybe his issues with addictions are being overcome.

Right now I've (slightly) gotten over that I will add a few more thoughts.

Overall it was an incredibly poor display by the Highlanders. They just didn't seem to turn up. I hate to say it but the 30 point margin probably flattered the Highlanders - if the Tahs had been more clinical in the 1st half the margin could well have been 50! This is not to say the Waratahs didn't deserve the big win - far from it, they played very well and are clearly a much better side than the Highlanders. I just don't think the Highlanders would have beaten any side in the competition the way they played...

I'll start with the positives for the Highlanders. The scrum was dominant in the 1st half, the lineout was good once Mitchell went off injured (though was shocking before that), Ben Smith was dangerous when he actually touched the ball, while Osbourne, Dixon, and Fekitoa made some good spot tackles.

That's where the positives end though. I won't list all the negatives (as that would take too long), but the biggest issues in my opinion were our inability to stop the Tahs ball runners behind the advantage line, our inability to slow down the Tahs ruck ball, completely aimless kicking, woeful midfield defense, and an inabilty to adjust to the Waratahs rush defense (there was in behind/out-wide but we seemed unwilling/incapable of exploiting this).

I do think the Tahs are now firm favourites for the ***le (if they weren't already) but I do think the Crusaders are their biggest threats. The Crusaders haven't been outstanding this season, but they are a much better side with Carter and their other previously injured players (Read, Dagg etc) back. The can get too lateral at times, but if executed correctly their style of play in the backs can be effective (e.g. the 1st 20 mins vs the Blues), and it can be particularly effective against a rush defense (like the Waratahs use). Kicking in behind could also be an effective tactic against the Tahs, and both Carter and Ellis are quick to identify space in behind. If the Waratahs and the Crusaders did meet in the playoffs I would still have the Tahs as slight favourites, but I would predict it would be a close match that could go either way.

As for the Highlanders..... Despite that hammering we are still firmly in playoff contention. I don't expect us to beat the Crusaders, but I imagine we will put on a much better performance. Even if we lose (without a bonus point) we are still a good chance of making the playoffs. If the Chiefs lose to the Blues we are in, but we will also be in if the Brumbies vs Force match isn't a draw or the losing side doesn't pick up 2 bonus points. If we secure a bonus point it almost guarantees us a spot (barring a high scoring draw between the Brumbies and the Force), but ideally we should just beat the Crusaders are get some momentum (and home advantage) going into the playoffs :)

Last edited:
Finals are going to be interesting, with it possible that both the Brumbies and Force could make it now. But I suspect that won't happen as it would require them to draw, and they're not exactly common.

I have to say I'm glad the Blues are all but out of contention though - for me they have looked New Zealand's second most dangerous of late.

Finals are going to be interesting, with it possible that both the Brumbies and Force could make it now. But I suspect that won't happen as it would require them to draw, and they're not exactly common.

I did the math yesterday and there are a couple of ways the Brumbies and Force could make it and it isn't crazily unlikely either. Now that the Blues and Bulls are officially out of the race, they would only need the Chiefs to lose. After that, baring a draw - the losing team between the Brumbies and Force would need a bonus point (losing within 7 is pretty doable) to finish on 41 points. As long as the loser gets the 1 point they would be then tied with the Hurricanes who (a) do not play next week and (b) are already 1 win behind both the Brumbies and Force so would lose the tiebreaker. The winning Aussie team could finish as high as 4th if the Highlanders lose too and the losing team could actually squeeze in at 6th. A few things have to happen but it is possible.

Very interesting Guilty. Would be incredible if there were three Aussie teams in the final! Don't think it's ever happened before.

I actually thought there were more than that. I was at the game and the entire Southern half of the stadium was jam packed, while the north side was full at the bottom and a bit at the top.

Atmosphere was great, that's for sure.

Yeah I heard that there were more than 30k :D

I've watched a fair few of their games, but there even with that pack they just don't inspire fear into me the way the have in the past... But you're right that Carter and Dagg being back will make their back line much more imposing. That's one thing the Waratahs do lack - a world class 10 that can both kick goals and control the match with his tactical kicking.

This is exactly how the Poms were talking heading into the third test vs the AB's. <_<

I suppose its possible the Saders might get knocked out by someone else before these two even get to meet.... possibly the Sharks.

Apples and oranges mate. The poms were stupid - they'd lost two in a row and the All Blacks hadn't lost in 16 tests. This is Super Rugby and the Waratahs are top of the table and have just won 6 straight, and while the Crusaders are looking like they're on the improve, they've been pretty inconsistent this season, going down the the Canes just last week.

I did the math yesterday and there are a couple of ways the Brumbies and Force could make it and it isn't crazily unlikely either. Now that the Blues and Bulls are officially out of the race, they would only need the Chiefs to lose. After that, baring a draw - the losing team between the Brumbies and Force would need a bonus point (losing within 7 is pretty doable) to finish on 41 points. As long as the loser gets the 1 point they would be then tied with the Hurricanes who (a) do not play next week and (b) are already 1 win behind both the Brumbies and Force so would lose the tiebreaker. The winning Aussie team could finish as high as 4th if the Highlanders lose too and the losing team could actually squeeze in at 6th. A few things have to happen but it is possible.

That would be fantastic! :D

Very interesting Guilty. Would be incredible if there were three Aussie teams in the final! Don't think it's ever happened before.

That never happened, also could be classified 4 Kiwis teams :D
Beale is having a superlative level again, maybe his issues with addictions are being overcome.

You haven't seen any Tahs game this year, liar

Last edited:
Moby's Extreme Ways was playing in my head te whole time...

been watching some SR these days. Loads of games come on TV here in France (cable). Anyways, just saw this. Hoopah is really turning into one heck of a heck of a hell of an OS flanker. Beale has found form like...never before ? Playing out of his socks. And the Waratahs just are brilliant to watch. And Foley's stache is just a little bit hard to look at, but the man's got game. Aussies are lookin' guuud right now, damn, 45 points on those Highlanders ?...

From a French perspective, the same Kepu who pushed back Domingo on a few occasions last June, got smashed here in the scrum. I think this just says it all about the French scrum today. Whatever the reason is, Domingo and Mas are basically one fifth the scrummagers they were just 6 months ago. Shocking stuff. SHOCKING.

Latest posts