• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Sharks vs Highlanders (Round 11)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140422063317200117.png

15. Lwazi Mvovo
14. JP Pietersen
13. Paul Jordaan
12. Frans Steyn
11. S'bura Sithole
10. Tim Swiel
9. Charl McLeod
8. Keegan Daniel
7. Jean Deysel
6. Marcell Coetzee
5. Stephan Lewies
4. Willem Alberts
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Bismarck du Plessis (Captain)
1. Tendai Mtawarira
140422063305305010.png

14042206331372948.png

15. Ben Smith (co-captain)
14. Richard Buckman
13. Malakai Fekitoa
12. Shaun Treeby
11. Patrick Osborne
10. Lima Sopoaga
9. Aaron Smith
8. Nasi Manu (co-captain)
7. Shane Christie
6. Elliot Dixon
5. Joe Wheeler
4. Jarrad Hoeata
3. Chris King
2. Liam Coltman
1. Kane Hames

Last edited:
The Sharks have no chance against the Mighty Highlanders :p

I think this will be our 7th home-game of the season. Only the Stormers left to visit the Shark tank. Have to win this and start a great tour!

Last week match should be scraped form memory, both Sharks and Cheetahs played against their own style and seemed like NH rugby - play not to loose.
This will be a cracker of a game but I still favor the Sharks to take it at home.

Jordaan and Pietersen back, huge boost!
Still no rest for tight five or Steyn, terrible mistake. Marais wasting away in the VC.

15. Lwazi Mvovo
14. JP Pietersen
13. Paul Jordaan
12. Frans Steyn
11. S'bura Sithole
10. Tim Swiel
9. Charl McLeod
8. Keegan Daniel
7. Jean Deysel
6. Marcell Coetzee
5. Stephan Lewies
4. Willem Alberts
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Bismarck du Plessis (Captain)
1. Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements
16. Kyle Cooper
17. Dale Chadwick
18. Lourens Adriaanse
19. Etienne Oosthuizen
20. Ryan Kankowski
21. Stefan Ungerer
22. Heimar Williams
23. SP Marais

Highlanders:

15. Ben Smith (co-captain), 14. Richard Buckman, 13. Malakai Fekitoa, 12. Shaun Treeby, 11. Patrick Osborne, 10. Lima Sopoaga, 9. Aaron Smith, 8. Nasi Manu (co-captain), 7. Shane Christie, 6. Elliot Dixon, 5. Joe Wheeler, 4. Jarrad Hoeata, 3. Chris King, 2. Liam Coltman, 1. Kane Hames

Substitutes: 16. Ged Robinson, 17. Craig Millar, 18. Ma'afu Fia, 19. Josh Bekhuis, 20. Gareth Evans, 21. Fumiaki Tanaka, 22. Trent Renata, 23. John Hardie

Not too bad, Joseph always finds a way to disappoint me ;)

I was assuming Hoeata would be starting at lock, but I would have preferred Bekhuis. The main disappointment to me is Evans being dropped to the bench. He doesn't standout, but it is pretty obvious to me that the Highlanders loose trio work so much better when he is involved. He is excellent in the breakdown, makes his tackles, is a strong lineout option , and does his job in the tight. Dixon has been playing well, but he basically performs exactly the same role as Manu (runs the ball hand). He is a very effective ball runner, but the trio becomes unbalanced with him at 6.

The backline is predictable, but I'm still not a fan of the 6/2 split on the bench....

As much as I'd like us to win (or at least pick up a bonus point or two) I feel it is very unlikely to be the case. The Sharks look the best of the South African sides this season, and have been very impressive at home (no side has come within 10 points of them).

I think the Sharks will dominate at scrum time (and up front in general). The Highlanders scrum had been pretty solid this season until we faced the Bulls. The Bulls absolutely destroyed us at scrum-time - it seemed they would get a penalty or tighthead at almost every scrum! The Sharks perhaps don't have quite as much weight behind their front-row as the Bulls do, but they have the Boks front-row, and I fear they will be just as dominant as the Bulls were. Personally I would have started Fia over Hames this match as Fia is the better scrummager, and Hames got hammered against the Bulls. I'm not sure what to expect at lineout time. The Sharks only have one genuine lock in their pack so they may not be able to pressure us as much as some other sides have. The Sharks should have no trouble getting clean ball at lineouts, as I imagine the Highlanders will use the same tactics they used (largely successfully) against the Bulls - not contest the lineout and get prepared for the lineout drive.

The loose-forward battle will be interesting. Coetzee isn't what we would describe as a genuine openside in NZ but he (along with B du Plessis) force a lot of turnovers at the breakdown (Deysel & Daniel are pretty handy here too). If Evans was playing I think we would have had parity at the breakdown, but I think the Sharks may have an edge here. Stopping the the Sharks big ball runners (Deysel, Alberts, Mtwarira, B du Plessis etc) will be a big challenge for the Highlanders, but most of our forwards are pretty strong defenders and are happy to tackle all day. Overall I think the Sharks have a massive advantage up front - the best the Highlanders can hope for is to get parity in some areas. I think this is a massive chance for Liam Coltman to stake him claim for an AB's spot - if he can match-up well against this pack it will show he is capable of playing at the next level.

If we are going to cause an upset I feel the halves will be the key. Aaron Smith has been in fantastic form, while Sopoaga has shown some good signs. Aaron Smith is the key for me. Several of the big Sharks forwards (J du Plessis, Alberts in particular) can be guilty at times of being a bit slow to come push out laterally on defense close to the breakdown, meaning there can be holes there that Smith can exploit (either by running himself or putting one of our forward runners into the gap). I hope to see Sopoaga too have a few runs, though he won't want to be running too close to the Sharks forwards (as the likes of Deysel, Alberts or B Du Plessis would smash him!). I feel that McLeod and Swiel are perhaps the Sharks weakest links. I'm not a big fan of McLeod (as his distribution is average), while Swiel is very inexperienced at this level (though looks talented based on the youtube videos I've seen of him).

Francois Steyn has by all account been playing well, but I feel Treeby and Ben Smith should be able to contain him (though he will probably draw in both of them). I'm a big fan of both 13's - personally I think Jordaan is a much bigger threat than Steyn. I actually feel we could look to exploits Steyns lack of lateral speed on defense. Steyn is a strong defender if you run straight at him, but Fekitoa could beat him on the outside if given a bit of space. The Sharks outside backs are all dangerous, and could do some damage as Osbourne is pretty hit and miss on defense, while Sopoaga (who will be defending at wing and fullback) is the same (though even more miss than hit...). Buckman should do his job on defense, though will need to be careful not to give the Sharks outside backs too much space to move. The Highlanders need to get Ben Smith chasing the high ball as much as possible, as it seems 9/10 he will get it back these days. I would love to see him counter-attacking a bit more from the back, but his chances to do that are more limited these days when he is defending up in the line.....

Overall I'm picking the Sharks to be too good, and win by around 15 points. To be honest if we could pick up a single bonus point from this match I would probably be happy!

Last edited:
I guess it's fair to put Jordaan back at 13 but I've been mighty pleased with Sithole there.
Can't wait until we have a replacement for Jannie 'Kan nie scrum nie' du Plessis. He's useless and his attitude stinks.
Looking forward to the game though, however I think our backline is going to struggle. Also not so sure of Mvovo at 15 for this game, his positioning is going to be tested.

I guess it's fair to put Jordaan back at 13 but I've been mighty pleased with Sithole there.
Can't wait until we have a replacement for Jannie 'Kan nie scrum nie' du Plessis. He's useless and his attitude stinks.
Looking forward to the game though, however I think our backline is going to struggle. Also not so sure of Mvovo at 15 for this game, his positioning is going to be tested.
Jan is burnt out. We have a solid replacement, but he gets five minutes a week. White said he needs to rest players, well bud, better start. SP is too good to bench, adds some flair to the side, I'd rather have him in the back three than Sithole (play him as an OC or nothing).

Amazing away victory by Landers against the best SA team in Durban

Well I called that match wrong. Completely wrong. I've never been so happy to be so wrong :D

Unfortunately I didn't see the match - I didn't feel like getting up early to watch us get pumped by 20, but I'm regretting my decision now. Based on the highlights alone it looked like a pretty strong team effort, though that final try by Fekitoa was a stunning solo effort!

They looked completely disinterested. I'm going to watch all of our matches backwards so I can see some improvement.

I got up and watched it...great game, lost count if the number if sharks knock ons!

Insane individual try by Fekitoa - probably try of the season so far for me.

Now honestly guys, who saw this coming? Who gave the Highlanders any chance of winning this, let alone, four tries to zip!!

And an even bigger question, is how did the Blues manage to let a game-breaker like Fekitoa, go south?

Now honestly guys, who saw this coming? Who gave the Highlanders any chance of winning this, let alone, four tries to zip!!

And an even bigger question, is how did the Blues manage to let a game-breaker like Fekitoa, go south?

Not many I bet ... certainly not me, the Highlanders usually struggle on tour ... got to say I was a little worried when Osbourne went off injured, given that they only had two backs on the bench, but it turned out to be the right call later in the match.

To be fair to the Blues, they have a number of potential game breakers in their squad, and they can't retain everyone ... I'm just pleased (like I said in the Fekitoa thread), that he is still playing in NZ, and getting decent game time for a NZ franchise, rather than trying to play for oz after serving the three years

Well I called that match wrong. Completely wrong. I've never been so happy to be so wrong :D

Unfortunately I didn't see the match - I didn't feel like getting up early to watch us get pumped by 20, but I'm regretting my decision now. Based on the highlights alone it looked like a pretty strong team effort, though that final try by Fekitoa was a stunning solo effort!

Hmmm...

The Sharks have no chance against the Mighty Highlanders :p

Seems legit :p

I'm just pleased (like I said in the Fekitoa thread), that he is still playing in NZ, and getting decent game time for a NZ franchise, rather than trying to play for oz after serving the three years

Get him on the sevens squad for a while!!
cheesy.gif

Malakai Fekitoa scored an amazing individual try. (Photo by Steve Haag/Gallo Images)
53 16 ShareThis
ODT Online rugby writer Jeff Cheshire rates the Highlanders after their upset 34-18 win over the Sharks in Durban this morning.

Ben Smith 8/10: Read the Sharks kicking game well and ran the ball back hard and dangerously, kicked well under pressure.
Richard Buckman 7.5/10: Probably his best game of the season, made good runs with ball in hand and applied very good pressure with a strong chasing game.
Malakai Fekitoa 8.5/10: Scored one of the most amazing individual tries you will ever see to really put the nail in the coffin and made a handful of other strong runs. Defended well too and did a good job getting over the ball at ruck time.
Shaun Treeby 8/10: Was outstanding defensively, made nine tackles and applied great pressure to the Sharks which forced a multitude of handling errors at the line. Ran strongly too, gaining good go-forward and putting in an impressive fend on Willem Alberts.
Patrick Osborne 7/10: Had to leave the field early, but not before breaking the game open to initiate the sequence which resulted in the first try.
Lima Sopoaga 8.5/10: Was once again radar accurate when kicking at goal, but also read the Sharks game well and controlled play efficiently both through his kicking and his distribution.
Aaron Smith 7.5/10: Box kicked well to allow the chasers to put the Sharks back three under all sorts of pressure, while also passing well and sniping dangerously when he chose to go.
Nasi Manu 9/10: Had a huge game, was the best of the forward ball carriers, always going forward and making the most carries, while also being the leading tackler and working tirelessly.
Shane Christie 6.5/10: Was the crucial link man to allow play to continue after Osborne's break before the first try, while also making a handful of tackles. Unfortunately had to leave the field late in the first half.
Elliot Dixon 7.5/10: Did a lot of the dirty work and made some good tackles. Won an exceptionally good breakdown penalty, running back from a scrum to be the first to the ruck after a Lwazi Mvovo break. Also did well in the lineout.
Joe Wheeler 6.5/10: One of his quieter games, but was still prominent cleaning out and made a good run in close to provide the go-forward for Aaron Smith to snipe to score the second try.
Jarrad Hoeata 8/10: Was very physical, particularly in the early stages when the game was intense. Worked hard around the field and was a reliable option in the lineout, particularly in the short lineout.
Chris King 7/10: The scrum was a bit inconsistent, but he still worked hard around the field and cleaned up a few loose balls.
Liam Coltman 7.5/10: Threw well into the lineout and was heavily involved in the tight, very strong in contact.
Kane Hames 8/10: Again was inconsistent at scrum time, but was outstanding in his work rate, making a handful of tackles and never far from play in support.
Ged Robinson 7/10: Carried on Coltman's good work, went looking for tackles to make and was generally safe throwing into the lineout.
Craig Millar (No rating): Came on briefly and hurt himself making a tackle, let's hope it is nothing too serious.
Ma'afu Fia 6/10: Solid, supported play and did well enough at scrum time.
Josh Bekhuis 7.5/10: Very good in the lineout and made a couple of tackles.
Gareth Evans 7.5/10: Similar to Bekhuis, came on a grabbed a few good lineouts, both at the front and the back, while also tackling well.
Fumiaki Tanaka (No rating): Closed the game out well, not making any mistakes and providing good service to his ball runners.
Trent Renata 6.5/10: Replaced Osborne and did little wrong. Operated well with the rest of the back three to shut down the Sharks' kicking game and did the basics right.
John Hardie 8.5/10: Reminded us just what a good player he is, looked hungry for work on defence, not only tackling, but also initiating multiple successful counter rucks. Was quick to the breakdown and did a good job ensuring the Sharks were always under pressure.

The odts player ratings...bit sure I always agree with them, thoughts Dixon and hoeata had quiet games

Just getting around to watching this match (I am very behind - still have three matches to watch!). Just want to say that that Fekitoa try was brilliant - it was like he was the Invisible Man, or something, just weaving in and out of players without anyone appearing to notice.

das

Latest posts