• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Reds v Waratahs (Round 19)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140707055347676817.png

15 Mike Harris
14 Rod Davies
13 Samu Kerevi
12 Ben Tapuai
11 Lachie Turner
10 Ben Lucas
9 Scott Gale
8 Jake Schatz
7 Beau Robinson
6 Curtis Browning
5 James Horwill (c)
4 Rob Simmons
3 Greg Holmes
2 James Hanson
1 James Slipper
140707055345189076.png

140707055346372980.png

15 Cam Crawford
14 Alofa Alofa
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
12 Kurtley Beale
11 Rob Horne
10 Bernard Foley
9 Nick Phipps
8 Wycliff Palu
7 Michael Hooper (c)
6 Stephen Hoiles
5 Kane Douglas
4 Will Skelton
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau
1 Benn Robinson.

Last edited:
Reds.png
Versus%20Super.png
Waratahs.png

Date:
July 12th​

Time:
7:30pm​

Teams haven't been announced yet, but it looks like the Waratahs will field a full strength team for this one and apparently Queensland are taking a "State of Origin mindset" into the game. Not sure if that's going to help thought.

The last 12 matches before this year were almost entirely influenced by Ewan McKenzie… When he came to New South Wales he broke the hoodoo against Queensland and took the boys to 7 straight wins against the banana benders. Then the stupid NSWRU fired him in 2008 - a year we made the Grand Final - and the next year he was at the Reds, where for the next 5 years he reestablished the Qld hoodoo.

Now Link has gone and the Tahs have Cheika, a bloke who took Leinster to the HC championship and has a similar style of coaching to Link but with a stronger focus on ball-in-hand play. Meanwhile, the Reds have Richard Graham, a coach that spent years doing nothing with the Force and has seen the Reds plummet this year.

As always, you can never write Queensland off, but along with injuries and general momentum, it's pretty hard to see them overcoming a much more skilled, fitter, and better coached Waratahs side that has beaten far better sides than the Reds in their streak stretching their last 6 matches.

Go the 'Tahs!

Reds:
15 Mike Harris
14 Rod Davies
13 Samu Kerevi
12 Ben Tapuai
11 Lachie Turner
10 Ben Lucas
9 Scott Gale
8 Jake Schatz
7 Beau Robinson
6 Curtis Browning
5 James Horwill (c)
4 Rob Simmons
3 Greg Holmes
2 James Hanson
1 James Slipper

Replacements:16 Saia Fainga'a, 17 Ben Daley, 18 Albert Anae, 19 Dave McDuling, 20 Liam Gill, 21 Sam Johnson, 22 Jamie-Jerry Taulagi, 23 Chris Kuridrani

Waratahs:

15 Cam Crawford
14 Alofa Alofa
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
12 Kurtley Beale
11 Rob Horne
10 Bernard Foley
9 Nick Phipps
8 Wycliff Palu
7 Michael Hooper (c)
6 Stephen Hoiles
5 Kane Douglas
4 Will Skelton
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau
1 Benn Robinson.

Replacements (one to be omitted): 16 Tolu Latu, 17 Jeremy Tilse, 18 Michael Ala'alatoa, 19 Jacques Potgieter, 20 Mitchell Chapman, 21 Pat McCutcheon , 22 Brendan McKibbin, 23 Jono Lance, 24 Taqele Naiyaravoro

Last edited:
This is a tough game to call. The Tahs and Red's always turn up to pay one another and despite the Reds having a woeful season, I think this game will be close. I think it is a classic trap game for the Tahs but expect them to win by 7 to 10.

I've got to say that I an surprised to see a full strength Waratah outfit. I would have assumed some of the senior players would be rested, like; Palu, TPN and AAC.

I've always struggled with the selection decision in the later rounds of a season when the playoff seeding is confirmed. Do you rest your stars to prevent injuries? Or do you keep everyone on the field to keep the momentum going? Tricky question.

Anyone got a strong opinion either way?

I reckon you keep your side together. Yeah, you risk injuries but momentum is pretty critical too and wrapping guys in cotton wool can leave them under-prepared coming into the finals against teams that have fought tooth and nail to get there.

Also, apparently Folau is out of the match with a corked thigh, so Cam Crawford is coming in.

Reds will likely be torn apart as they have all season and it will be equally depressing to watch.

Not for us in Sydney it won't be :D.

To be honest, whilst the halves are obviously a problem, otherwise the Reds have named a full strength forward pack and reasonable back line, so I reckon this could be a tougher assignment than the Highlanders in a lot of ways.

Reds:

15 Mike Harris
14 Rod Davies
13 Samu Kerevi
12 Ben Tapuai
11 Lachie Turner
10 Ben Lucas
9 Scott Gale
8 Jake Schatz
7 Beau Robinson
6 Curtis Browning
5 James Horwill (c)
4 Rob Simmons
3 Greg Holmes
2 James Hanson
1 James Slipper

Waratahs:

15 Cam Crawford
14 Alofa Alofa
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
12 Kurtley Beale
11 Rob Horne
10 Bernard Foley
9 Nick Phipps
8 Wycliff Palu
7 Michael Hooper (c)
6 Stephen Hoiles
5 Kane Douglas
4 Will Skelton
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau
1 Benn Robinson.

Supposedly the Queenslanders are going to be wearing a heritage jersey for this game - meaning it will be the proper Queensland colour of maroon rather than the bright red they changed to a few years back. I'm guessing the idea is to add a State of Origin type atmosphere to the whole thing.

Anyone got any idea of what the crowd is looking like?

Why exactly did they call themselves the Reds in the first place? The old maroon jerseys were much nicer IMO.

Don't know why to be honest... Always found it a bit odd.

Tahs have another blow injury wise - Rob Horne out.

3-17 going into halftime. I expected the Reds to show up which they have in effort but they are just are woeful team. Terrible in fact.

Bit worried about Kepu - he clearly threw two uppercuts. I'm assuming this means he will miss the next game which is likely to be the Brumbies. With how well he and the scrum has been for us this year, would be a major blow.

Lineout has been shocking. I don't think it has been as bad all season as Sharpe has been saying but it has been bad tonight. I think we are up to 5 lost throws?

All in all, this Reds side is abysmal and the Tahs will be annoyed at themselves for not being 30 points up by now.

Very pleased with the defense but hoping for a much better second half.

Last edited:
Bit worried about Kepu - he clearly threw two uppercuts. I'm assuming this means he will miss the next game which is likely to be the Brumbies. With how well he and the scrum has been for us this year, would be a major blow.

That was really silly of him, punches are always unnecessary but it's just extra stupid, heading into playoffs with his team secure in the top spot.

That was really silly of him, punches are always unnecessary but it's just extra stupid, heading into playoffs with his team secure in the top spot.

Couldn't agree more. Dumb move. I don't mind the punches but not during a meaningless game risking yourself for the finals.

Pretty sure Hooper just did the same thing to Gill around the 50 min mark...

Yeah, and it looked like Robinson had a bloodied nose from it, too. The hair-pulling was a bit ridiculous, especially when Palu (I think) walked over and had a yank at Beau's locks just for the hell of it. Such a silly girl. :)

EDIT: Was that Palu and Robinson chatting each other up after the match? Mebbe that hair tug was nothing more than a love tap. :)

das

Last edited:
Much better second half in all facets.

The extra week off will be great for the boys.

Bring on the finals - go Tahs!

Wow... that was possibly the worst performance I've see from the Waratahs all year and they still beat the Reds 34-3.

I'm not sure if I'm worried or relieved that we still managed to win in spite of playing so badly.

Latest posts