• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Hurricanes vs Reds (Round 11)

Ardie Savea has to be one of the best impact players in the competition.

He can make a good impact, but I think this game really illustrated to me how far he still needs to go. His lack of physicality at the breakdown was very apparent when the Reds were on the attack near the end. He was getting to the breakdown quickly (as was unlucky no force a turnover on a couple of occasions), but the opposition players had no trouble driving him off the ball (and Hanson ran straight over him for his try). Freakishly talented? No doubt. You can certainly understand why Hammett prefers Lam starting in the 7 jersey though.

what happend to Julian Savea in the game ? he got -2 points in the fantasy league

Savea has hit worst game of the year. He made a huge number of handling errors, and wasn't the threat he usually is. He's been in fantastic form this year, so I think this match an anomaly.

A few other thoughts:
- Toomaga-Allen had a great match with ball in hand. He's been a bit quiet over recent weeks, but he can be a real asset for the Canes as he can give them front-foot ball.
- Coles showed his wide range of skills again - running, passing, and even kicking. He is clearly the best hooker in NZ at the moment
- The loose-forward trio went well as a unit. Levave was his usual abbrasive self, and I thought Vito showed some excellent physicality at times too. Lam again impressed - he looked like a outside back when he broke the line and started stepping players at full pace!
- Perenara had his best match of the year in my opinion. We got to see his full range of skills - he looks to be coming right just in time for the AB's tests....
- Barrett was brilliant at 10 again (goal-kicking aside). He controlled the game well, and though he didn't run that often when he did run he almost invariable broke tackles (quite a few on one run). He seems to be getting better every week.
- Leuia did a good job at 12 yet again - he adds straight running physical presence the Canes have been looking for in the midfield since Nonu left.
- Savea was poor (as I've mentioned), but Jane showed some excellent touches on the right wing, and Taylor was electric at fullback. He seems to have got his confidence back, and was breaking tackles at will at times. He even managed to make the last pass for a couple of Jane's tries, which was surprising, as in those situations he usually just goes himself!
- Robinson was the pick of the Reds forwards for me, but I do think they are missing Gill's ability to turn-over (or simply slow down) opposition ball.
- Genia and Cooper actually had a few good moments, but overall where outplayed by their opposites.
- F-Sautia showed what a talent he is. He made a few mistakes, but he was the most dangerous player on either side in my opinion.

Latest posts