• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Hurricanes v Brumbies (Round 4)

Why take the lineout in the last 5 minutes down by more than 10 when you've been getting a hiding all night at them?

Then that idiot scores and does the nice smile pose on the ground. That is the sign of a team that doesnt have their heads on properly he should of been straight up and back trying to get ready to attack again.

Game ends after another poor Canes lineout. Well done to the Brumbies - they weren't clinical, but they were definitely the better side.

Game ends after another poor Canes lineout. Well done to the Brumbies - they weren't clinical, but they were definitely the better side.

Yep Brumbies deff the better side. Its a wonder though you go through the team sheets and to me the canes have probably a better squad of talent.

Hurricanes came close on the scoreboard. I thought the difference would be greater for Brumbies.

We really struggled after being the better team in the first 30 minutes. Truth be told Cardiff Vaega looked so far out of his depth in the Hurricanes debut - we really needed one of Bateman or even Parkes to have been there, as his defense was very subpar while his handling put the Canes under pressure several times. The forwards were also thoroughly out-muscled, unsuprisingly. We really need Victor Vito in there...

Why John Schwalger continues to play at TH I have no idea...

Also - what the hell is with Hammett's BS about Savea having to take the 7 jersey off Lam (who is equally as comfortable at 6) when he is happy to move Lam to 6 when Savea replaces Hill?! It's just remarkable...

Just getting to the match, but gotta say that the passing just before the 'Canes 31st minute try looked more like volleyball than rugby. Or maybe a girly game of hot potato. :)

das

The only thing really keeping the Hurricanes in that game was Beauden Barrett, who I thought had one of his best ever games. Some of his skip passes were majestic.

Next week if Parkes and Bateman haven't recovered I think we'd probably see Marshall move into second five.

Hurricanes are so rubbish. Selections were off, players looked like they couldn't be bothered at times. How Hammett can motivate all blacks to play that badly is beyond me. Thrush looked like a club player with how bad he was. He couldn't even win a line out. Hill and Thomson were shocking as expected. The backs were all poor, Barrett and especially Perenara included.

The only thing really keeping the Hurricanes in that game was Beauden Barrett, who I thought had one of his best ever games. Some of his skip passes were majestic.

Next week if Parkes and Bateman haven't recovered I think we'd probably see Marshall move into second five.

I agree - Barrett was outstanding with ball in hand. He didn't run that often but when he did he was incredibly effective, and his passing game was superb. His tactical kicking and goal-kicking were pretty good too. He did miss a few too many tackles on defense, but he certainly wasn't the only one.....

Vaega had a bit of a shocker on debut, and I would be surprised if he start again for the Canes this season. He struggled defensively at times during the ITM Cup too, so it probably shouldn't have been too much of a surprise that he struggled at Super Rugby level. If Parkes and Bateman are out Marshall would probably be the best option at 12 (with Banks back starting at fullback), though the could look at a 12. Smith 13. Leiua midfield (as we saw later in this match).

Apart from Barrett there weren't many standouts for the Canes. Coles and Thrush were pretty good around the field, but the lineout was a disaster. Thomson was a bit more prominant than he has been but made a few too many errors, while Jack Lam had a couple of great moments but was generally pretty quiet. I felt Ardie Savea added quite a bit when he came on with his ball running - hopefully he finally gets to start next week. Perenara had a poor game (which is unusual for him), while Smith, Jane, and Marshall tried hard (and defended pretty well), but didn't get many chances. Julian Savea was a bit quiet yet again, and made far too many errors. He made one excellent run but that was about all - he just didn't seem as hungry for the ball as usual. The Canes really need to get him fired up....

The Brumbies starting front-row played pretty well (though Moore conceded a few too many penalties at the breakdown), while Mowen and Fardy worked hard in the loose. White, Toomua, Speight and Kuridrani all had solid games, but the pick of backs were Coleman, McCabe & Mogg. Coleman lacks a bit of size but I think he adds a lot of spark to the backline from the wing. Mogg again showed his electric pace and ability to find even the smallest of gaps - he still can't tackle to save himself though. McCabe was the man of the match for me by some margin. When he was last in the Wallabies he was used almost solely to crash the ball up in midfield (and was criticized heavily for his 'limited' style), but he is a far better player than that. He broke the line almost at will this match, mainly by running hard and straight at gaps, but also showed a good sidestep and some handy pace. If he continues to play like this he will certainly be close to regaining the Wallabies 12 jersey, as he is also one of the (if the the) best defensive 12's in world rugby.

Latest posts