• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Highlanders v Western Force (Round 5)

Try Parker... Just needs to get the conversion now...

Bugger

Jeez now long kick.... ****** around to much should of quick tapped they were on the ropes 5 minutes ago... FFS

That was very very poor from the HL. Just stupid really they HAD to quick tap imo when the took that lineout.

****... Useless Highlanders. That last ten minutes was embarrassing. Where was the intent? Where was the urgency? Absolutely useless display tonight.

To think we had a chance of going 5 from 5 this weekend. Of course it's spoiled by a ridiculously inept display.

Arrgh. Just so many bad decisions from the Highlanders in the last minutes. You need a converted try, you're right beneath the goal posts with some forward momentum - so why the **** would you go wide? Not to mention, the Highlanders wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place if they hadn't ****ed around with scrums while they were short on time.

I'm still too disappointed to go into too much detail about this match. We basically gifted the Force 2 tries, somehow managed to get back into the match, then looked clueless in the final 8 minutes against 13 men. The two co-captains idea is clearly not working. I had to resort to yelling at the TV when with 4 minutes left and 7 points behind we had a 30 second conference before deciding what to do. The solution is quite simple: make Nasi Manu captain. This whole co-captaincy gig appears to be affecting Ben Smith's play, which is the last thing we need.

+ves:
-Kane Hames. Strong ball running again, big work-rate in defense, and part of a dominant scrum. He has bascially come out of nowhere in the last year, and is developing into a very good Super Rugby player.
-Nasi Manu. Strong ball running and a big work-rate.
-Aaron Smith. So much better than last season. He continued to put players into gaps with his passing. Tanaka was pretty good when he came on too.
-Malaki Fekitoa: Our most dangerous back by some margin. We just need to keep giving him the ball.

-ves:
-Coltman had a bit of a shocker. Two throws in a row were not straight, he threw the intercept pass for Ebersohn's try, and missed a simple 1-on-1 for McCalman's try. I still believe he will be an All Black this season, but he needs to put this poor performance behind him quickly.
-The loose trio as a whole were completely outplayed. Christie and Manu were good individually (Hardie was quiet), but didn't really gel as a trio. I expect to see Evans back starting next week.
- Sopoaga was poor, and I hate the fact we have to hide him at fullback all the time on defense (and he still misses tackles). If he can't defend up in the line I think we should seriously consider starting Parker at 10, as having Ben Smith in the line limits his ability to counterattack from the back.
- Ben Smith was well contained (again). He has looked dangerous in most matches, but hasn't really broken the line yet. We need him at his linebreaking best if we are going to win a few more games.

the last 8-10min of this match was the hardest super rugby I think ive ever had to watch.

The Highlanders had the force absolutely on the rack and just let them off. Force had the last ~8min down 2 men and the highlanders easily wasted about half that time maybe more?

taking a line out instead of a quick tap? Walking to line outs? Choosing to take a scrum? Holding the ball in the scrum? None of the players looked urgent to keep the game in play and they just seemed to allow the clock to run down.

I obviously have a lot of admiration for Ben Smith but where was he? Was there no one on the field that could read that situation? Absolutely no urgency. Tanaka and Manu probably even more to blame. So far Ive seen absolutely nothing from Manu to suggest he should be co-captian.

Imagine how the chiefs would have played that last 10min in the same situation!

Holy crap if they had just ran to that line out instead of walked they would have probably had time for a restart after the last try and another shot at winning the game.

I dont think ive ever seen anything like that, maybe the highlanders have just gotten too used to losing?

the last 8-10min of this match was the hardest super rugby I think ive ever had to watch.

The Highlanders had the force absolutely on the rack and just let them off. Force had the last ~8min down 2 men and the highlanders easily wasted about half that time maybe more?

taking a line out instead of a quick tap? Walking to line outs? Choosing to take a scrum? Holding the ball in the scrum? None of the players looked urgent to keep the game in play and they just seemed to allow the clock to run down.

I obviously have a lot of admiration for Ben Smith but where was he? Was there no one on the field that could read that situation? Absolutely no urgency. Tanaka and Manu probably even more to blame. So far Ive seen absolutely nothing from Manu to suggest he should be co-captian.

Imagine how the chiefs would have played that last 10min in the same situation!

Holy crap if they had just ran to that line out instead of walked they would have probably had time for a restart after the last try and another shot at winning the game.

I don't think ive ever seen anything like that, maybe the highlanders have just gotten too used to losing?

agreed....actually think that was worst too watch the the entirety of last season...walking to that lineout and holding it in the back of that scrum only to drop it...pretty unforgivable.

can you imagine how things would have been if they hadn't dropped it...over the line next to the post, easy conversion and 7 mins to get the win....

Latest posts