• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Junior World Championship - June 2 to 20

Defence is a skill. Just because it's one of the very basic parts of the game doesn't mean its not a skill and one in which players have varying levels of ability. It's a skill that we teach - how to tackle, where to stand, when to tackle. It's both an individual skillset and a group skillset. And there are a lot of players who don't have it at their chosen level and when that happens its a real weakness.

So I'm disagreeing there.

Incidentally - if there's one thing that exasperates me about spending a lot of time around Irish rugby fans, it's their belief that English packs will be bigger than theirs, regardless of the actual stats. Eyeballing the weights, the England team that played Ireland in the semi-final wouldn't have weighed much more, and certainly not more than the Welsh team they beat. In my experience, the big differences between the teams tend to be conditioning levels and professional experience - and yes, raw talent. As profitus notes earlier, most Ireland age grade sides who are carrying at least a few players who don't have a hope of becoming much in the game. There are far less such players in the England sides.

Ireland U20
15 Cian Kelleher (Lansdowne/Leinster)
14 Ciaran Gaffney (Galwegians/Connacht)
13 Gary Ringrose (UCD/Leinster)
12 Harrisson Brewer (Terenure/Leinster)
11 Alex Wootton (Garryowen/Munster)
10 Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
9 Nick McCarthy (UCD/Leinster)
1 Peter Dooley (Lansdowne/Leinster)
2 Dylan Donnellan (UCD/Leinster)
3 Oisin Heffernan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
4 Darragh Moloney (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 Ross Molony (UCD/Leinster)
6 Peadar Timmins (UCD/Leinster) Capt
7 Rory Moloney (Buccaneers/Connacht)
8 Frank Taggart (Belfast Harlequins/ Ulster)

Replacements
16 Max Abbott (Cork Constitution/Munster)
17 Denis Coulson (Lansdowne/Leinster)
18 Rory Burke (Cork Constitution/Munster)
19 Stephen Gardiner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
20 Josh Murphy (UCD/Leinster)
21 Ryan Foley (Cork Constitution /Munster)
22 Conor McKeon (Lansdowne/Leinster)
23 Dan Goggin (Young Munster /Munster)

5 changes mostly u19 players brought in. While all the injuries haven't helped the team for this tournament or the injured players it has helped a lot of players who'll be back next year get vital experience. 5 of the backline are u19.

Still I don't hold out much hope for this one.

Oh and yes Harrison is the son of Mike Brewer but he came through school here so not another poach. :D

The Junior Springbok team to face England in the JWC Final on Friday at Eden Park:

15. Warrick Gelant, 14. Dan Kriel, 13. Jessie Kriel, 12. André Esterhuizen, 11. Sergeal Petersen, 10. Handré Pollard (captain), 9. JP Smith, 8. Aidon Davis, 7. Cyle Brink, 6. Jacques Vermeulen, 5. Nico Janse van Rensburg, 4. JD Schickerling, 3. Dayan van der Westhuizen, 2. Corniel Els, 1. Thomas du Toit

Substitutes: 16. Joseph Dweba, 17. Pierre Schoeman, 18. Wilco Louw, 19. Victor Sekekete, 20. Jean Luc du Preez, 21. Zee Mkhabela, 22. Jean Luc du Plessis, 23. Duhan van der Merwe

The Junior Springbok team to face England in the JWC Final on Friday at Eden Park:

15. Warrick Gelant, 14. Dan Kriel, 13. Jessie Kriel, 12. André Esterhuizen, 11. Sergeal Petersen, 10. Handré Pollard (captain), 9. JP Smith, 8. Aidon Davis, 7. Cyle Brink, 6. Jacques Vermeulen, 5. Nico Janse van Rensburg, 4. JD Schickerling, 3. Dayan van der Westhuizen, 2. Corniel Els, 1. Thomas du Toit

Substitutes: 16. Joseph Dweba, 17. Pierre Schoeman, 18. Wilco Louw, 19. Victor Sekekete, 20. Jean Luc du Preez, 21. Zee Mkhabela, 22. Jean Luc du Plessis, 23. Duhan van der Merwe

Looks like our best line-up so far. Some picks suggest we aren't just going to try and close up shop which I am all for.

Dan Kriel moved to wing... probably want a bit of size there.
Very very strong team

Really looking forward to this game, England side did very well up to now.
Let's settle this

Interesting to see New Zealand have named a full stength side for the 3rd/4th playoff. I expected to see a few changes, with players who hadn't been given much game-time a run, but clearly they are taking this match very seriously...

Interesting to see New Zealand have named a full stength side for the 3rd/4th playoff. I expected to see a few changes, with players who hadn't been given much game-time a run, but clearly they are taking this match very seriously...

Any links for that?

Ireland absolutely hammering us up front at the moment (all over the park to be honest). They already have a penalty try, and we are (rightly) down to 14 men for the next 10 minutes. Not only are our forward pack weak, but they can't seem to get the concept that we aren't going to stop a maul with 8 Irish players with only 3-4 players!

We are somehow in front though (through a nice forward pass!), but barring 3 moments of brilliance we have been completely outplayed....

EDIT: This NZ side is just completely thick. If you get a penalty straight in front of the post (and the opportunity to take the lead into halftime) you do not opt for a lineout, especially when your lineout is a joke. Just pathetic.

Last edited:
Ireland absolutely hammering us up front at the moment (all over the park to be honest). They already have a penalty try, and we are (rightly) down to 14 men for the next 10 minutes. Not only are our forward pack weak, but they can't seem to get the concept that we aren't going to stop a maul with 8 Irish players with only 3-4 players!

We are somehow in front though (through a nice forward pass!), but barring 3 moments of brilliance we have been completely outplayed....

EDIT: This NZ side is just completely thick. If you get a penalty straight in front of the post (and the opportunity to take the lead into halftime) you do not opt for a lineout, especially when your lineout is a joke. Just pathetic.

You mean the try when Mo'unga passed it back inside to Tevita Li? I don't think it was forward - the ball traveled forward slightly, but the pass itself went backwards from Mo'unga's hands, from what I could see.

You mean the try when Mo'unga passed it back inside to Tevita Li? I don't think it was forward - the ball traveled forward slightly, but the pass itself went backwards from Mo'unga's hands, from what I could see.

I'm referring to our 3rd try, when Drummond passed it inside to Li. I agree the Mo'unga pass was backwards from the hands.

Great break out from Taggart undone by not so great kick chase.

I'm referring to our 3rd try, when Drummond passed it inside to Li. I agree the Mo'unga pass was backwards from the hands.

Okey dokey. I wasn't quite sure, as I've been doing things while watching the game so have missed a few details. Carry on, then!

Okey dokey. I wasn't quite sure, as I've been doing things while watching the game so have missed a few details. Carry on, then!

Fair enough. I should have been working but watched the game instead. I regret my decision now, as although we won the match comfortably in the end it was painful watching us play such stupid rugby. I'm not sure whether it was the coaching or just the players themselves, but if this is representative of the rugby IQ New Zealand's future players we are in big trouble!

Looks like our best line-up so far. Some picks suggest we aren't just going to try and close up shop which I am all for.

I feel like such an idiot. This morning, one of my clients visited me at my office, and I can see the lady is very agitated but also excited. So I asked her what's the the matter, her response in afrikaans was "My seun speel vandag in 'n final".

So i thought at first that it's some kind of school event, because I thought he's still in matric.

Then we went on talking about work and so on, and then all of a sudden she got a call from her husband, and she said she's almost done, he must PVR it just incase she's a bit late. And then it struck me that her son is the hooker of the Baby Boks and starting today's finals.

It's always nice when you have some sort of personal connection to the team, it makes you want the win even more.

Morris has a cannon of a boot, what a kick.

Great bit of play there and a try for England by Earle.

Last edited:
11-10 at half time for England with SA struggling to turn pressure into points and a good break by the English 13 setting up the try for them at the end ff the 1st half. So an evenly balanced game. While I'm disappointed we havn't been able to convert pressure into points by letting up through mostly silly errors we've seen SA behind more games than not so far at half time so I am hoping that the trend of a more accurate 2nd half from us continues but England has had the momentum the last 10 minutes or so..

All in all an exciting game if one ignores those silly little errors.

Latest posts