• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Wales vs Australia

Well so far its exciting, but lots and lots of errors. I just wish Webb wouldn't force the wide ball, great when it comes off but so dangerous (its like using the flat pass in RLL2 ;) ).

I know its not full, but Is it just me or is there no atmosphere in the stadium??

Cant wait for second half

Australia best prepared side in the world. Even bring their own ref.

Incredible game!!!!!!!! and Wallabies did it again! When the Welsh watch the gold jersey have nightmares :lol:

Not incredible really.

28-33. No surprises. Decent first half, Aus not all that much better in a lot of areas, but were very composed when they needed to be. Despite Sam saying it's not psychological, the big three have the habit of winning against Wales and expect it.

Poor crowd today, the WRU have priced a lot of fans out of being at the game. I could only afford one game and I'm going to see the AB's.

Atmosphere seemed a bit pants today so hope it changes.

Not incredible really.

28-33. No surprises. Decent first half, Aus not all that much better in a lot of areas, but were very composed when they needed to be. Despite Sam saying it's not psychological, the big three have the habit of winning against Wales and expect it.

Poor crowd today, the WRU have priced a lot of fans out of being at the game. I could only afford one game and I'm going to see the AB's.

Atmosphere seemed a bit pants today so hope it changes.

Well, if you are a Welsh, obviously the game hasn't been incredible. But for a neutral supporter like me, the game has been amazing!

Gutted.

Not going to analyse the game now as emotions are high just will say that in watching the game from about the hour mark I could feel it happening like it did.

Wales threw it away today simple as that.

Soft interception pass that led to Folau scoring instead of using the ball through the hands. Wales failure to game manage when ahead at the end and therefore conceding soft penalties. Of course switching off in parts of the game when dominating. Frustrating to say the least.

One thing I do question when is a penalty advantage over? When substantial territory is made? Or when enough possession is maintained e.g. 8 phases or so?

Oh BTW, can't blame the ref for this one.

Last edited:
Wow nearly woke up the neighbors Lucky to have that intercept try! Noticed wales had allot of injuries what effect did that have on how they usually play? I Line out was amazing this morning scrum was not as bad as it was made out too be looked like wales were turning the scrum at times.

Really Gripping match. Wales had too many errors and yet another game we should have won.

The Joubert really was the difference towards the end. Shocking bias on advantage times and also many poor decisions on Wales rolling away, he simply gave them no chance. However, Wales had a last chance and blew it by not just taking the penalty and ended up getting a half break which ended the advantage.

Really gutted but result as expected.

Last edited:
Wales threw it away today simple as that.

Soft interception pass that led to Folau scoring instead of using the ball through the hands. Wales failure to game manage when ahead at the end and therefore conceding soft penalties. Of course switching off in parts of the game when dominating. Frustrating to say the least.

One thing I do question when is a penalty advantage over? When substantial territory is made? Or when enough possession is maintained e.g. 8 phases or so?

Oh BTW, can't blame the ref for this one.

Agree about Joubert, I may have been disappointing he was reffing but he didn't do a lot wrong. You can argue about his not giving players chances to get out but he applied the law. The onus in on the tackler to try to get away and not the players joining the ruck to let them roll away.

As for advantage its a rule that depends on the ref some let teams have a lot of it, others not so much. In my playing youth I was always taught that advantage lasted for up to 10m beyond where the penalty would be given.

On the whole we played a good game. Thought Warbs was superb, he seems to have benefited from his lesser playing time and looks a yard quicker. Ball and AWJ played well, both carrying and tackling well. Webb got the try but those 2 killer intercepts somewhat tarnished his overall display. Today was the sort of game that you wished Stephen Jones or Neil Jenkins were playing now, they knew how to manage a game, Biggar and Patchell are attacking 10's and Preistlnd isnt playing well. Lets hope this Anscombe chap shows he can manage a game

Agree about Joubert, I may have been disappointing he was reffing but he didn't do a lot wrong. You can argue about his not giving players chances to get out but he applied the law. The onus in on the tackler to try to get away and not the players joining the ruck to let them roll away.

As for advantage its a rule that depends on the ref some let teams have a lot of it, others not so much. In my playing youth I was always taught that advantage lasted for up to 10m beyond where the penalty would be given.

On the whole we played a good game. Thought Warbs was superb, he seems to have benefited from his lesser playing time and looks a yard quicker. Ball and AWJ played well, both carrying and tackling well. Webb got the try but those 2 killer intercepts somewhat tarnished his overall display. Today was the sort of game that you wished Stephen Jones or Neil Jenkins were playing now, they knew how to manage a game, Biggar and Patchell are attacking 10's and Preistlnd isnt playing well. Lets hope this Anscombe chap shows he can manage a game

On at least two occasions, particularly one near the end, he gave a penalty for not rolling away after liteerally one second. It was instant. The ball was at the feet of the Aussie scrum half. There was no way the tackler could have gotten away in that one second and he was not even impeding the ball.

Another example is where Hibbard (i think) was sealed in the ruck, unable to move. Hooper had the ball at his feet but decided to push against the player on the floor and lock him in. Cheating play and poor reffing in that instance.

Another loss, but it's so typical that Gatland can just bluff another "getting closer/building for 2015/look at the positives" line and buy himself another season. Haven't heard that before...

On at least two occasions, particularly one near the end, he gave a penalty for not rolling away after liteerally one second. It was instant. The ball was at the feet of the Aussie scrum half. There was no way the tackler could have gotten away in that one second and he was not even impeding the ball.

Another example is where Hibbard (i think) was sealed in the ruck, unable to move. Hooper had the ball at his feet but decided to push against the player on the floor and lock him in. Cheating play and poor reffing in that instance.

It wasnt literally one second. It was quick but there was the time and thats Joubert's style of reffing, he wants rucks to be a smooth process, we failed to adapt to that.. And the Hibbard one wasnt cheating by the Aussies at all, like I said its not their responsibility to allow the tackler to move (which is why they usually cop a shoeing). Hibbard made a tackle that put him at the wrong side by the time the tackle was made he was on the wrong side and unable to get away but thats not the ref's or the Aussies problem.

Another loss, but it's so typical that Gatland can just bluff another "getting closer/building for 2015/look at the positives" line and buy himself another season. Haven't heard that before...

You can't blame Gatland for the mistakes which caused the tries, and also the poor performance from Joubert.

It wasnt literally one second. It was quick but there was the time and thats Joubert's style of reffing, he wants rucks to be a smooth process, we failed to adapt to that.. And the Hibbard one wasnt cheating by the Aussies at all, like I said its not their responsibility to allow the tackler to move (which is why they usually cop a shoeing). Hibbard made a tackle that put him at the wrong side by the time the tackle was made he was on the wrong side and unable to get away but thats not the ref's or the Aussies problem.

Just compare it to the Aussie rolling away, there is little difference and just as much ball slowed down as a result but far less penalties for it.

Hooper clearly chose to impede Hibbard from rolling away and to play for the penalty instead of playing the ball, he didn't just 'not move'. No matter how much you argue that 'we didn't adapt' or it is his responability - that is cheating. The replay clearly demonstrated it.

Last edited:
number 10 for Aussies over Wales. It's incredible, during ENG NZ I looked at the live result for this one, and Wales was ahead very late in the game. I return at the end of ENG NZ and find Aussies won, and by more than just like 2 or 3. Just a curse, just a complex...just incredible. Welsh fans keep focused and hopeful, there are more tests to come.
For me, it's a bad sign because France are very mediocre against Fiji atm (it's halftime here) and the Aussies are coming soon...

I can blame him for no progress in six years. His focus on fitness physicality doesn't work. It surprised some in 2011, but Wales still lost matches from stupid mistakes and brainless tactics. He has been figured out by the top teams since 2008, and managed his success in Europe amidst rebuilding Irish and English sides, assisted by idiotic French players/coaches.

I can blame him for no progress in six years. His focus on fitness physicality doesn't work. It surprised some in 2011, but Wales still lost matches from stupid mistakes and brainless tactics. He has been figured out by the top teams since 2008, and managed his success in Europe amidst rebuilding Irish and English sides, assisted by idiotic French players/coaches.

A grandslam, 6 Nations Championship and World cup semi-Final is not progress? Utter tosh.

An RWC semi where we lost to SA, lost to France, and lost to Australia? Beating Samoa, Fiji, Namibia, and Ireland? Lost to Aus again weeks later.
Grand Slam in 2008 was good, 2012 was fortuitous. Lost three straight in Aus following that, and four more at home, followed by a hammering by Ireland, but it's ok because we beat England at the end. Managed a win against Samoa, but then got thumped by Ireland. There has been no change or development. Our sole attack since 2012 has been hope Cuthbert or North scores.

Latest posts