• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 America's Rugby Championship

Ya I've come off as abrasive and cranky and disrespectful. I'm just still bitter and disappointed about how bad Canada's backs were and how Canadian teams have played as a whole over the last year. The Canadian forwards were dominant and doing a great job and the backs just looked like they forgot how to play the game. I sure as hell hope Crowley is flying in some reinforcement backs. I need Wilson-Ross out on the wing and Harry Jones(shudder but he needs playing time) at Fly-Half to free up Parfrey to play in the Centers and send Daypuck back to the old folks home.

Good on Uruguay for giving their guys some reinforcements. It should help give them a confidence boost. USA Selects are pretty good and will definitely push the Uruguay side to their limit. I don't think any team stands a chance against the Jaguars again this year and expect two more blow outs. It's definitely a good learning experience for some guys who may be on the cusp of Los Teros.

Last edited:
Understand and thank you TRF_LittleGuy It is my understanding that the ARC is a tournament focused on player development and even if Uruguay had, for the first time in it's history, to prepare a 2nd team I assure you that it is at the same level or better than the Paraguay team - with no disrespect to the Paraguay guys.

With reinforcement Uruguay will get into the game, as it will Canada, although as it looks the Jaguars will be tough to beat for Uruguay!

Uruguay are flying in a handful of reinforcements from the main team, I think 5-6 guys are heading out to join their side. Going to be very tough for them on what looks like a solid Jaguars side.

Canada vs. U.S.A. likely to be the battle for 2nd place, hopefully we see a marked improvement from the backs.

If we've come off as disrespectful MartinS that wasn't our intention, in fact I think the full Uruguay team could have very well beaten Canada last night as our advantage in the scrums and lineout likely would have dissapeared which is where we won the game for the most part. I was surprised at Uruguay 'A's resilieince though, that side out last night probably only has 5-10 guys with a real chance at making the Los Teros RWC squad and than most likely on the reserves and they didn't get blown out.

I'm glad Uruguay have been invited now that they have qualified for the 2015 RWC, any game time against high level opposition will be good for them. Now the IRB need to ensure they get some November tests there maybe a couple of teams available e.g. Namibia, Portugal, Spain et.al.

I heard from some sources I trust that Argentina are rumoured to be doing a proper tour of North America in June. It's been a while(too long) since full tests between these sides.

I'm glad Uruguay have been invited now that they have qualified for the 2015 RWC, any game time against high level opposition will be good for them. Now the IRB need to ensure they get some November tests there maybe a couple of teams available e.g. Namibia, Portugal, Spain et.al.

I heard from some sources I trust that Argentina are rumoured to be doing a proper tour of North America in June. It's been a while(too long) since full tests between these sides.

That would be awesome! Which European country is suppose to 'tour' NA next June?

That would be awesome! Which European country is suppose to 'tour' NA next June?

No one was scheduled at the end of last year(though that dosen't mean it won't happen). Scotland, Ireland and Italy have all been over recently, even Wales wasn't that long ago in 2009. Not sure if France or England want to come over right now. My guess is Argentina would be sort of the replacement for a European tour which is fine by me.

Uruguay 'A' is playing Brazil so that will be another depth game for them. It would be nice if the IRB/WR could get Uruguay games like the Russia/Hong Kong series that was scheduled. Namibia already has a full slate with Germany, Canada, French Barbarians and Portugal. The IRB/WR should get Uruguay an Iberian series and a game against the French Barbarians. Maybe the England Saxons and/or Ireland Wolfhounds if the Spanish and Portugese can't/won't play? Uruguay definitely needs some real game time over the next year against tough sides outside of the ARC and CONSUR games. They also need to hurry up as November is quickly approaching.

If Argentina tours North America would a European side come here? If we stay in the PNC that limits potential weekends. With no Southern Hemisphere(South Africa, New Zealand, Australia) tours next summer because of Super Rugby, I'd gladly pass up the PNC for games against Argentina and some Europeans who might want some money(c'mon England and France). Though we NEED games against the USA and Japan because I just hate them both so much and want Canada to get revenge. I'm conflicted about what I want :( .

The real issue is geography, Ontario and B.C. Are so far apart meaning that setting up some kind of inter provincial competition is expensive as hell.

Yeah, Canada is like Australia. A huge country but most of the land is uninhabitable. Then you have little population in relation to their vast territory

I would love for the Pumas to tour North America but it is my understanding that next year (as it happened in 2011) there will be no June Int'l window. As far as I know for Argie teams, the Pampas XV will participate in the Pacific Rugby Cup to be played in Australia during late February. The Pumas will be receiving the French Barbarians late May for 2 games - then the team goes for 2 weeks to the Exos Center USA for fitness preparation for RWC and the RC which this time is a short version of only 3 games that starts in July (away NZ & Boks - at home Aussies). There will be friendly game against the BOCKS bavk in Argentina and the team goes to Europe for final preparation for RWC with 1 additional friendly game.

Beerfalo, i
I know we are a step behind NZ, SA & AUS, and getting there, but we are still in the Southern Hemisphere!! JaJa :=)

Uruguay 'A' is playing Brazil so that will be another depth game for them. It would be nice if the IRB/WR could get Uruguay games like the Russia/Hong Kong series that was scheduled. Namibia already has a full slate with Germany, Canada, French Barbarians and Portugal. The IRB/WR should get Uruguay an Iberian series and a game against the French Barbarians. Maybe the England Saxons and/or Ireland Wolfhounds if the Spanish and Portugese can't/won't play? Uruguay definitely needs some real game time over the next year against tough sides outside of the ARC and CONSUR games. They also need to hurry up as November is quickly approaching.

If Argentina tours North America would a European side come here? If we stay in the PNC that limits potential weekends. With no Southern Hemisphere(South Africa, New Zealand, Australia) tours next summer because of Super Rugby, I'd gladly pass up the PNC for games against Argentina and some Europeans who might want some money(c'mon England and France). Though we NEED games against the USA and Japan because I just hate them both so much and want Canada to get revenge. I'm conflicted about what I want :( .

Ya Canada is pretty damn big haha. The different provinces can't realistically compete with each other outside the small CRC schedule which means the very best domestic players aren't playing against each other on a regular basis like they would in New Zealand/British Isles, Pacific Islands and France. Plus BC is weird and runs a winter schedule while the rest of us play a summer schedule. The sport is getting bigger and better here but it's still a pretty niche sport. Team Canada games are hyped up and shown on TSN which helps with exposure. I'm also holding out hope they might show interest in the CRC but I ain't holding my breath. (Some)Teams are taking youth development a lot more seriously which I hope starts to show over the next decade. Getting kids into the sport at a young age so they grow up playing the game and developing their skills instead of just relying on high school/college converts.

You have a lot of talent and human resources to be a rugby power, most Canadians are tall and strong. What about CFL players? Are they at the same level as the NFL players? Their physical conditioning

I would love for the Pumas to tour North America but it is my understanding that next year (as it happened in 2011) there will be no June Int'l window. As far as I know for Argie teams, the Pampas XV will participate in the Pacific Rugby Cup to be played in Australia during late February. The Pumas will be receiving the French Barbarians late May for 2 games - then the team goes for 2 weeks to the Exos Center USA for fitness preparation for RWC and the RC which this time is a short version of only 3 games that starts in July (away NZ & Boks - at home Aussies). There will be friendly game against the BOCKS bavk in Argentina and the team goes to Europe for final preparation for RWC with 1 additional friendly game.

Is it possible Canada and the United States would be used for warm up matches for the 2015 RC? I know both countries were incredibly dissapointed with their lack of test matches this year. The Eagles have 7 and Canada only 6(with one exhibition game as well).

MartinS, I know Argentina is a Southern Hemisphere country. When I said no Southern Hemisphere tour next summer, I only put New Zealand, South Africa and Australia in parentheses because Super Rugby is running straight through the June window so there's no tours of those three countries next year. I haven't heard anything about the other countries though. I'm looking on Wikipedia right now and it says Japan is scheduled to play Australia on July 8th in Tokyo while Canada is playing Fiji on July 12th. They have them listed alongside New Zealand vs Samoa and England vs Baa-Baas. I can't find anything else online so I have my doubts but Wikipedia seemed spot on with the updates over the summer for the AIs this year so I don't know. If it is true I assume there are more matches to be announced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_mid-year_rugby_union_internationals

And ya Conrad, Canada is similar to Australia. Most of our people live close to the USA border with the highest concentration in Southern Ontario up to Montreal. Australia seems to be concentrated in the South East of the country.

I'm not sure how to properly compare CFL players to NFL players as though they are similar sports they are also different games that require different players. CFL players are usually smaller and have to be quick as the field is bigger and built more around passing. NFL players are typically bigger, stronger and still have good speed. The NFL has access to A LOT(absurd amounts) more money so they get the cream of the Football crop from both countries. A good amount of football players(high school to college to the CFL and NFL) would make for good rugby players if they had the training from an early age. As I've said before North American rugby suffers from the bulk of sporting options available to people here. Football, basketball, hockey(especially in Canada), soccer and baseball easily dwarf rugby here and take the bulk of the best potential players. It helps that there's a clear path here to playing professionally in those sports.

Is it possible Canada and the United States would be used for warm up matches for the 2015 RC? I know both countries were incredibly dissapointed with their lack of test matches this year. The Eagles have 7 and Canada only 6(with one exhibition game as well).

I haven't heard anything to that respect, although Daniel Hourcade (head coach) has included some rugby during their fitness program in Exos this year, he might do something. I can understand the "disappointment" due to the lack of games. Los Pumas had to endure that until 2012 when they were included in the Rugby Championship! If you recall, between RWC 2007 (Bronze medal) and RWC 2011 the Pumas played only 18 games, and just a handful against the Top tier teams, in comparison ABs, Boks, Wallabies, England, France, Ireland, Wales played between 42 and 48 games!!! Pumas managed to bring attention to that issue after a fantastic bunch of players who made an immense effort - we must not forget the NH rugby clubs that hired a lot of our guys - got an umprecedent 3rd place in RWC 2007 and manage to pass to the QF in RWC 2011.

Another note on CFL vs. NFL conditioning is that CFL players have alot more limited time to train, most of them have other jobs in the offseason and even part time jobs during the season to make ends meet, while the NFL has effectively become a 365 days a year job.

Beerfalo is dead on with the different types of athletes involved as well, speed, quickness and ability to catch are much more important at a CFL game, while blocking, tackling etc. would probably be more important in the NFL.

Another note on CFL vs. NFL conditioning is that CFL players have alot more limited time to train, most of them have other jobs in the offseason and even part time jobs during the season to make ends meet, while the NFL has effectively become a 365 days a year job.

Why CFL players have to have other jobs? Canadian football is not professional?

Why CFL players have to have other jobs? Canadian football is not professional?

CFL is professional but there's only like a $5 million salary cap. With like 56 guys on the payroll that doesn't leave a lot of money. Average salary spread across the roster would be like $83k. League minimum salary is $50k with stars making over $100k up to like $500k (I think that's the highest paid players salary). QBs command a lot of money. To be in the condition to play at this level $50k-60k isn't always enough especially when a lot of players go back to the states in the off-season and have families to take care of.

The short season's another reason, just to build on Beerfalo's post. Season only runs from July to October(with some preseason and training in June) if your team makes it to the playoffs you can play into November, the Grey Cup game is played towards the end of November. So even if you go all the way there it's really only a five month commitment, so players take advantage of the off time to work even if it's at fairly low level jobs in the cities they play at. During the season teams are also limited to having their players for like 4-5 hours a day except on game days, some of the guys do a bit of moonlighting if they can even during the season.

Latest posts