• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: Italy vs Scotland (Round 3)

Unless they can surprise Italy in Rome.....but I don't see France falling in Murrayfield, and Cardiff is the least likely for Scotland...
Just wait for Cotter to come over from Clermont and enjoy the wonders of having a NZ'er coach. Scotland should look competitive again, they have the players. Just look at how Ireland has turned around, ridiculous improvement.

u sure about scotland not able to beat Wales well at this stage wales arn't playing well either nearly lost to italy and got demolished in ireland, i personally think that wales and scotland are playing abit like each other atm except wales actually won a game and we haven't atm i know playing at the millenium stadium will be hard but with the way that wales are playing scotland could beat them BUT! i do remember last year that france were on awful form and scotland played them last but france still won at the stade du france i can expect it being the same story this year with wales. but my question is even though scotland are on bad-form and italy aren't the actual question is will it be a surprise ? just because were on bad form we were on good form last year and france were playing bad. i thought scotland would win since france are playing badly. but i got a shock but i hope this is the same scenario with italy , but its very unlikely but we'll see.

i know scotland dont have a good chance but the best thing as a scot to do is try to believe in scott johnston's decisions and believe in the team, i know that believing in dropping denton and still no site off kelly brown and laidlaw's captains again. but i just have to believe and i do like johnnie beattie at 8 he can have his good games and do well and a strong ball runner which denton is but if i was scott johnston i would play beattie at 6 instead off ryan wilson who i think needs to be dropped. and no site off kelly brown is also not a good thing but Chris Fusaro did what was asked off him. and laidlaw captain it i suppose just like any other player can have his bad games but can have his good, i am a good fan of laidlaw i do think hes a good kicker but i dont like him as captain. and we are heading the right way, gray finally back in the team and ross ford dropped but i dont like the choice of scott lawson on i wanted to see Pat MacArthur on. and Jim Hamilton can play well but i think needs a break

To be honest though Benz, Scotland were lucky not to have 45+ put on them if England were more clinical. You guys didn't have a great time in Dublin either, and now you're best player has just been dropped. Wales haven't looked great, but they're backs are up against the wall and like last year I'd expect them to fire pretty soon - but I don't think, and hope they don't, they have it in them to repeat last year.

On the other hand Italy really put up a fight for a long time against France, and nearly beat Wales in their own back yard. At least you can hang onto the fact Italy will probably miss the majority of their penalties and conversions. Going to have to go with 18-12 to Italy.

Ppl sure are quick to judge Wales...what if they come out and beat France comprehensively by 10 points ? All of a sudden everybody will start praising their qualities again and understand all they had to do is step it up a notch and they were at home after all...
I mean screw theory, let's look at how they actually function: 8 straight losses last year and then BAM Six Nations ***le. And yes, it happened as abruptly as this last sentence sounds. Form in sports really isn't much when a team has the players and potential on paper. Who'd have thought Wales after losing at home to Ireland in 2013 would crush England in a historical record win....to claim the ***le ?!

Cardiff is definitely Scotland's hardest task yet this tournament, regardless of its position in the tournament timeline. And I personally have very little certainty about what will unfold there tonight for France...

I remember Barbieri being a very strong ball carrier a couple of years ago... seemed to fall off the radar a little bit since then.
Will be interesting to see if he can do what I remember him doing.

I don't think anyone brings him up on it enough..... Ritchie Gray's hair is an awful thing.

How bitter do the Jock commentators sound about Allan..?! "He's no Dan Carter!"

Last edited:
Scottish commentators are a joke, the most biassed commentary you can find. Even when they are playing absolutely terribly, Scottish commentators are singing their praises.

It's ridiculous... he's constantly saying how **** his goal-kicking is.

what the actual **** was Steve Walsh talking about there - not going beyond the ball. Isn't that the whole basis of counter rucking?

Scottish commentators talking about how many phases Scotland managed. Ignoring that most of those phases Scotland are going backwards.

Richie Gray a world class player? HA!

Last edited:
what the actual **** was Steve Walsh talking about there - not going beyond the ball. Isn't that the whole basis of counter rucking?

All refs ping players for doing it. It has nothing to do with counter-rucking.

When they go in to contest the ball they place their hands on the ground way in front of the ball and then "rake" their hands backwards.
You have to go straight for the ball - not just put your hands in wherever the **** you feel like it.

Ludicrous comparison of Gray to O'Connell by Nichol.

Last edited:
Oh, I wasn't talking about getting your hands on the ball, I thought Walsh was pinging scotland for counter rucking beyond the ball.

Italy well on to. Don't know what the bbc lads are talking about.

Haha oh that last 5 minutes summarises Scotland perfectly. Ability to hold the ball for ages, go absolutely nowhere then walk away with absolutely nothing. Easily the worst team in the 6N.

Jesus why does the BBC have these Scottish commentators? The most biased commentary ever. "Italy aren't playing well" whilst saying Scotland are!? Wtf is up with these people?

Last edited:
Why oh why do NH cameramen/directors feel the need to zoom into the ball all the time?

One of the best things about SR is that they actually show the shape of both teams, rather than just whoever has the ball.

Haha oh that last 5 minutes summarises Scotland perfectly. Ability to hold the ball for ages, go absolutely nowhere then walk away with absolutely nothing. Easily the worst team in the 6N.

Jesus why does the BBC have these Scottish commentators? The most biased commentary ever. "Italy aren't playing well" whilst saying Scotland are!? Wtf is up with these people?

None of this is fair or true. The commentators want scotland to win, fine, every commentator has an allegiance to one nation or another, but there's nothing inappropriately biased/overt about their commentary. Andrew cotter is the most level headed of commentators, and Andy Nichol one of the most insightful analysts. They haven't said scotland are playing well at all. And they're right to say Italy aren't playing well - it's fact.

Also, Scotland and Italy are pretty much on the level and in fact Scotland tend to win more handily at murrayfield then Italy do in Rome.

Dunbar is officially the greatest Scottish player of all time.

People complaining that last nights commentary was biased, my god today's is ridiculous...