• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: England vs Wales (Round 4)

If May is looking to take on too much himself, then what do we say about Nowell, who touched the ball 14 more times and pass it three less times? The event in which he ignored Nowell to try and run around the whole Welsh defence is sticking in people's minds. One mistake - and, frankly, giving it to Nowell when Nowell was semi-marked by a faster man was not the correct move. It's probably better to take contact yourself with support waiting, then shift it one pass further away from support with the risk of getting taken out, if that pass is not going to fashion anything in particular. The better move was the kick; Cuthbert was up flat.

And, lets be honest, May took the ball in with three supporting players. Its not his fault a penalty occurred. Its the fault of the three players to varying degrees.

As for Hartley... the main thing winning the ref over was 8 man shoves and Jenkins' stupidity. Yup, did well in defence, was nought but a water carrier in attack though; necessary work, but nothing to sing too much about, and not that visible at it. Fair dos for the lineout throwing. So... good game... except with four penalties (and two turnovers according to ESPN) which is a really significant issue. I cannot disagree more about his penalties being harsh. Not only was I pretty certain that ball had come off the England catcher in real time, every player knows what happens if they touch the ball and it's off their own player in that position. Penalty. Don't go to catch the ball in that position unless you're certain it came off the opposition player.

I don't care if he's arrogant. I don't care if he's a dick. I do care that his record for doing stupid stuff on the pitch seems perpetual and I do care that outside the set-piece, his influence is pretty much military-medium for a player of the standard. The thirteen tackles were a little noteworthy, but they don't counteract conceding 4 penalties.

He's probably playing as well as he's ever done in his England career, and he's still bench fodder the moment Youngs remembers how to throw, so, yeah, fairly comfy with the second choice...

Usually when a player is said to be suffering from a Lions hangover, it is also due to their domestic form. This cannot be said of North, who is having a good season with the Saints by all accounts. Plus i believe the hangover is partly blamed on fatigue, which would be surprising for the likes of Warbs & Davies & Roberts who i think have been out with long injury spells.
And another Lions myth is that the French will win the ***le afterwards....looks ominous for England in Rome then :rolleyes:

May passes a much bigger percentage of his possession than Nowell does. Just putting that out there. Check the stats.

Last edited:
I don't think May is greedy I just think he is looking for a mismatch. I find passing stats somewhat useless as well because wingers who make breaks don't often have support to pass to.

I don't know why everyone is going on about our wingers. Two young lads getting their first few caps due to other player injuries. That's all

I don't think May is greedy I just think he is looking for a mismatch. I find passing stats somewhat useless as well because wingers who make breaks don't often have support to pass to.

I don't know why everyone is going on about our wingers. Two young lads getting their first few caps due to other player injuries. That's all

I agree, besides you can swing stats anyway you like when they are numbers and not presented int he correct context.

Against Wales, May passed 5 times, and ran 98 metres, beat 2 defenders. Nowell, passed twice, ran 105 and beat 5.

What that doesn''t tell you is the quality of the metres gained, the quality of the pass, the effectivness of the defenders beaten and so on...

May could beat 4-5 defenders stepping sideways and be far less effective then Nowells one going forward. Nowell could run the length of the pitch and cough the ball up for someone to score on the counter - it all has to be taken in the correct context of the game and the position they are playing - which are very different.

Essentially though everyone watched the game, and everyone saw what the lads did, if anyone thinks May is more effective than Nowell or is having a bigger impact than Nowell they are deluded.

Last edited:
If May is looking to take on too much himself, then what do we say about Nowell, who touched the ball 14 more times and pass it three less times?

Where did you get that stat from? I take it you mean 4 more times rather than 14?

Stats seem to say different things:

Espn scrum says that Nowell kicked 4 times, passed 2 times and ran 15 . He made 103 metres, made 1 clean break and beat 5 defenders
The same source says that May kicked 2 times, passed 5 times, and ran 10 times. he made 98 metres and beat 4 defenders.

Not going to lie, these are pretty similar stats. They go some way to dispelling the more exaggerated conclusions we might try and draw, but not all the way.
I do like May - I think the score I gave him perhaps makes it look as though I thought he played poorly; not at all, but I struggle to think of the things at which he excelled.

As regards his performance:
I believe there were two occasions where a decision of his led to a penalty. One is that which we were talking about with Nowell outside. To be clear, I thought the pass to Nowell would then allow the latter to kick and chase when his defender was upon him. He didn't give away a penalty, that was Burrell. The other instance was when he seemed to hesitate, then ran across and then infield - think it was a penalty for holding on or something.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember him being as good under the high ball when under pressure; this six nations.
Otherwise, my only real beef has been two occasions of not backing himself for the sprint, but cutting back inside and across each time.
I don't have a massive issue with running laterally if you eventually go forward, but there's of course the issue that if you get caught before you can go forward, you give the opposition back-row easy momentum with which to counter ruck.

Where did you get that stat from? I take it you mean 4 more times rather than 14?

Stats seem to say different things:

Espn scrum says that Nowell kicked 4 times, passed 2 times and ran 15 . He made 103 metres, made 1 clean break and beat 5 defenders
The same source says that May kicked 2 times, passed 5 times, and ran 10 times. he made 98 metres and beat 4 defenders.

Oops, yeah. 4 times. Espn stats.

This. No, they're not doing everything right, and they probably haven't nailed down places, but they haven't let us down either and have shown they can do a job at least. There's probably more in both kids' futures... although I think Nowell might be looking at more time at 15 or 13. Not really winger quick. But no biggie.

Latest posts