• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013-14 IRB 7's] Wellington

England have looked like the best side so far

Canada were right in that match against NZ. Could have been a lot closer in better conditions. They should have started Hiriyama. Every time Canada had the ball in the first half, they were surrounded by NZ players and turned it over. They were better in the 2nd half though

That's the first time I have ever heard it suggested that poor weather conditions inflated the margin of victory :lol:

Canada played ok, but New Zealand won the match pretty comprehensively. Canada didn't even really look like scoring a try (did they even have possession of the ball in NZ half?). England will certainly prove a much bigger challenge though, because as you say they have probably been the form side of the competition thus far.

Canada had a spell in the kiwi 22 at the end of the match when the game was decided. Didn't score, but they were able to out together a good string of rugby.

They tackled well and weren't really out of the game, but turnovers and handling errors sunk them.

That's the first time I have ever heard it suggested that poor weather conditions inflated the margin of victory :lol:

Canada played ok, but New Zealand won the match pretty comprehensively. Canada didn't even really look like scoring a try (did they even have possession of the ball in NZ half?). England will certainly prove a much bigger challenge though, because as you say they have probably been the form side of the competition thus far.

Canada handled the conditions poorly unlike NZ. They dropped the ball several times unforced while in attack, if it had been better conditions they wouldn't have dropped those balls

Canada handled the conditions poorly unlike NZ. They dropped the ball several times unforced while in attack, if it had been better conditions they wouldn't have dropped those balls

Did the conditions go away when NZ had the ball in hand? ;) New Zealand had to deal with the same conditions with ball in hand and certainly had their own issues. They didn't knock the ball near as much as Canada, but they lost ball at the breakdown (when it slid out the side in wet conditions), and struggled to put more than a couple of passes together, with many passes going behind the players. Make no mistake: if the conditions had been better New Zealand's attack would have been far better too. There is no doubt New Zealand adapted to the conditions better than Canada - as I mentioned before we are one of the best teams at adapting to such conditions (if not the best), but that doesn't necessarily mean Canada would have got closer in dry conditions!

Last edited:
I thought Spain vs. Tonga would never end!!!! Boy do Spain look dour this year, they can barely beat the guest sides. Almost a certainty they'll be relegated barring some sort of shock result or turnaround.

Edit: Canada absolutely bossing Samoa out of the stadium, complete and total dominance. Even though we won't finish as high this round actually think this is the best we've ever performed at a 7's event, we are looking really good.

Last edited:
Great game from canada there. They controlled the entire match, Samoa had no say in the play at all.

Yeah Canada have really been on the rise, they have an experienced team and showed their real potential in that game. Never would have expected that big of a scoreline though

The NZ defence is just too good. Every time an England player makes a run, there are 3 New Zealanders surrounding him blocking him off from support, giving them almost no chance of retaining the ball

Last edited:
Great display by NZ in the semi versus England: 31-0 is pretty comprehensive! Not the best game of 7's (there was lot of kicking!), but it was great to see Ioane with ball in hand at the end again....

I think Fiji woke New Zealand up in that first pool game yesterday since that loss the Kiwi's have been unstoppable.

Damn South Africa 10 - 0 over Fiji. Fiji have had poor discipline in tackles this tournament and it cost them in that 1st half. The game was there for them in the 2nd half where they had most of the possession and territory, but they made too many mistakes

Last edited:
SA struggling in attack on the heavy wet fields. That final is looming large indeed!

Fiji was pounding on the door there in the semi but I think SA got them out of sorts through pure harassment LOL.

Excellent win by NZ there, built mainly on impenetrable defense and breakdown dominance. We scored some good tries in the 1st half, but spent most of the second half on defense in our 22. I thought Scott Curry had an excellent game - his work at the lineout and at the breakdown was invaluable. George Tilsey had a bit of a shocker when he was on - he was subbed on for Stowers just before half-time, but after 3 successive errors he himself was subbed 5 minutes into the 2nd half!

Excellent win by NZ there, built mainly on impenetrable defense and breakdown dominance. We scored some good tries in the 1st half, but spent most of the second half on defense in our 22. I thought Scott Curry had an excellent game - his work at the lineout and at the breakdown was invaluable. George Tilsey had a bit of a shocker when he was on - he was subbed on for Stowers just before half-time, but after 3 successive errors he himself was subbed 5 minutes into the 2nd half!

Tilsey looked good in the games prior, mightve been the finals jitters.

NZ defence was super good throughout the tourney except for the game against Fiji. Maybe first game jitters or maybe a boycott for a more suitable path to the final!!...who knows

Carlton Isles is a team of his own. The other 6 are just his feeders. He is simply the best runner Ive seen play 7s since Cullen.

Tilsey looked good in the games prior, mightve been the finals jitters.

NZ defence was super good throughout the tourney except for the game against Fiji. Maybe first game jitters or maybe a boycott for a more suitable path to the final!!...who knows

Carlton Isles is a team of his own. The other 6 are just his feeders. He is simply the best runner Ive seen play 7s since Cullen.

Tilsley had some good moments earlier in the tournament, but I'm not quite convinced about him. He is very quick - probably the quickest in the NZ squad, and he has a pretty good step. I don't think he reads the game very well though, he seems to go into touch far too often, his handling can be an issue, and for the second tournament in the row he has got in trouble because of a tip tackle. He certainly has all the skills, perhaps he just needs a bit more experience in international 7's.

congrats to NZ. Is there a form of Rugby they AREN'T good at, ffs...

Man I wish Ben Lam or Stowers were playing for the Blues instead, let the sevens have Naholo lol

Man I wish Ben Lam or Stowers were playing for the Blues instead, let the sevens have Naholo lol

While I agree Lam and Stowers are both probably good enough for Super Rugby, I don't think there is really any room for them in the Blues, as I think Moala, Halai, and Visinia are all better XV's players. There would certainly be room for Lam or Stowers at the Highlanders though!

when did Canada get so good ?

Wait until we can deveolp some decent front five's again, only thing lacking from our 15's sides is a front row!! The backs and loose forward development in Canada has nearly gotten as good as many Tier One countries.

Latest posts