• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013-14 IRB 7's] Hong Kong

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
The prestigous event of the 7's calender is upon us to take place March 28-30th, with the added bonus of the qualifier tournament on top of the exciting main competition, the pools have been drawn and here they are.....

Pool A

Fiji
Kenya
Wales
Sri Lanka (they are going to get CRUSHED!!!)

Pool B

South Africa
Australia
France
Spain

Pool C

England
Canada
Argentina
Portugal

Pool D

New Zealand
Samoa
Scotland
U.S.A.

Qualifier Tournament

Pool E

Russia
Zimbabwe
Chile
Barbados

Pool F

Hong Kong
Italy
Tunisia
American Samoa

Pool G

Japan
Cook Islands
Uruguay
Trinidad and Tobago

How come American Samoa are in that qualifying tournament instead of Tonga? Did Tonga actually lose to them in some tournament?

How come American Samoa are in that qualifying tournament instead of Tonga? Did Tonga actually lose to them in some tournament?

Yes, that shockingly happened, even more bizarre is that they weren't inivted to be the 16th team in the main tournament where they could have provided some competition, instead Sri Lanka are getting thrown to the wolves.

Yes, that shockingly happened, even more bizarre is that they weren't inivted to be the 16th team in the main tournament where they could have provided some competition, instead Sri Lanka are getting thrown to the wolves.

LittleGuy, how do you feel about the return of O'Toole to the Sevens side? I understand he is fit as heck and is 100% healthy! Maybe we will see a re-birth?

LittleGuy, how do you feel about the return of O'Toole to the Sevens side? I understand he is fit as heck and is 100% healthy! Maybe we will see a re-birth?

He looked decent last round, with a bit of rusty edge to quickly shake off I think we previously mentioned how the 7's side might have been the perfect path for him to take should he try and get back in the game.On another note wow is there becoming a logjam in the XV's side in the backrow! No wonder the switch of Carpenter to Hooker is so frequently brought up. It's also possible Ardron and Sinclair can be used at Lock but they aren't as effective in those positions. O'Toole would have to be behind, Sinclair, Ardron, Carpenter, Moonlight, Dala and even possibly Kleeberger at this point.

He looked decent last round, with a bit of rusty edge to quickly shake off I think we previously mentioned how the 7's side might have been the perfect path for him to take should he try and get back in the game.On another note wow is there becoming a logjam in the XV's side in the backrow! No wonder the switch of Carpenter to Hooker is so frequently brought up. It's also possible Ardron and Sinclair can be used at Lock but they aren't as effective in those positions. O'Toole would have to be behind, Sinclair, Ardron, Carpenter, Moonlight, Dala and even possibly Kleeberger at this point.

We bleed quality in the backrow, now if we could only develop a few quality frontrowers to go along with it :cool:

I heard Marshall has been getting no time at his club in France, I believe he has only played 3 games for them all season and 2 of them were coming off the bench. I wonder if he will find himself back in Canada next year?

We bleed quality in the backrow, now if we could only develop a few quality frontrowers to go along with it :cool:

I heard Marshall has been getting no time at his club in France, I believe he has only played 3 games for them all season and 2 of them were coming off the bench. I wonder if he will find himself back in Canada next year?

Marshall is stuck behind the best prop in the D2(actually a guy who should be at a good club in Top 14) and this has really squeezed him out, he might be able to find another club in France I think his previous sesaon was decent.

Phelan also left Lille, another Lille International player couldn't get French domestic status so Phelan was squeezed out in foreign player limits and wasn't getting much game time either.

It hasn't been a great year for some of our overseas pro's, Evans, and DTH were doing well until they got hurt. Carpenter has been in and out of injury trouble. Phelan, Marshall, O'Leary and Piffero have gotten little to no game time. Pritchard has played well but Bedford has been atrocious, same with Townsend at Ealing. Paris, Hassler, Cudmore and Ardron have done excellent to good on a positive note, and think the other guys have held their own e.g. Buekeboom, Hotson.

Talofa boys! Can't wait for the kick-off tomorrow! All the best to your favorite teams

Sri Lanka aren't too bad compared to the other small teams. Its mostly a lack of size and experience thats their problem. Unfortunately for them they've been put in a tough pool as well

Samoa have really fallen off, losing in the shield final last week and now losing their opening game against the USA. The USA have improved a lot, the new guy Barrett has been really good for them

Watching Portugal and Spain is painful, they just don't look like the belong and the other teams completely outclass them.

Edit:

Is it just me or is the reffing continuously **** in Sevens

the ref is completely slowing this game down

Last edited:
Yeah Spain is especially atrocious, Portugal are a tiny bit ahead of them they can usually handle the invited teams who Spain mostly struggle with. The conditions have gone south, it looks like 7's in slow motion right now on this pitch.

Edit: Canada getting out of dodge against the Argies, tough physical contest with a pile of errors on both sides. Also agree with MUzzy Samoa have looked pretty dour the last couple of rounds.

Last edited:
Yeah Spain is especially atrocious, Portugal are a tiny bit ahead of them they can usually handle the invited teams who Spain mostly struggle with. The conditions have gone south, it looks like 7's in slwo otion right now on this pitch.

That second half was a lot better from us... another cup round for us!

Last edited:
Vanilla Hearn is in full beast mode... his size makes him a wrecking ball in Sevens. Moonlight is pure class as well.

I like how Sri Lanka's jersey's are the colour of Curry haha

Lutumailagi's been so dangerous so far, great to see him back in the team

Sri Lanka really aren't that bad, just a lack of size

Serevi seems to be co-coaching the team, but I think he should just leave it to Ben Ryan, he barely let Ben get a word in at half time, unless thats what Ben Ryan wanted

Last edited:
Crunch match coming up to determine Samoa's final position - New Zealand vs USA. Go Manu!

Dayum. Good luck to the USA in the Cup competition. On to the next job for the Manu boys.

Cripes, England has had our number the past few tournaments, we just can't seem to beat those guys... the matches are always close but I'd really like to see us put one over England, NZ, SA, Fiji.

Latest posts