• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2010 CC XV to date

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
With an unfortunate TriNations series (from an SA perspective) done and dusted and looking towards the possible (hopefully probable) inclusion of a few new faces for the EoYT for 2011 I thought the time right to look at a CC top XV to look for who those new faces might be.

My picks:

1 Coenie Oosthuizen (Freestate Cheetahs)
2 Craig Burden (Natal Sharks)
3 Brok Harris (WP)
4 Allistair Hargreaves (Natal)
5 Franco van der Merwe (Transvaal Lions)
6 Ashley Johnson (Freestate)
7 Duane Vermeulen (WP)
8 Keegan Daniel (Natal)
9 Michael Bondesio (West Transvaal Leopards)
10 Elton Jantjes (Transvaal)
11 Lwazi Mvovo (Natal)
12 Meyer Bosman (Freestate)
13 Waylon Murray (Lions)
14 Bjorn Basson (Northern Cape Griquas)
15 Hennie Daniller (Freestate)

All said I think Patrick Lambie and possibly Conrad Hoffman could get a look in but it was difficult to do so since both have played in multiple positions throughout. Lambie looked great at 15! Pity he insists on playing at 10 but we could use a quality pivot.

Scrumhalf is a tight race but I think Bondesio had the toughest job among those I considers so he gets the nod from me.

Hooker another difficult one with Liebenberg the front runner IMO before he got injured. Bismarck made a solid MotM return while Strauss was his solid self throughout.

Agree with most of those, but should I have compiled a team, these we be my differences.

2. Bismarck
You pointed out Liebenberg, but in his absence I just feel that Burden's throwing placed unnecessary pressure on the Sharks line-out, and we lost one or two against the head with him at hooker. Would love to see him on the wing as opposed to Ndungane.

Swap Vermuelen and Daniel around.

9. Vermaak
I've looked at this from a purely skill level point of view. It is unfortunate that the Leopards backs haven't had better go-forward ball, to have a proper comparison. By match reports Bondesio was not at all impressive against the Pumas.

Fair enough and you're probably right, I just felt I had to mention Burden and Bondesio because both really came out of nowhere (kinda) and really took they're chances this year. Bismarck also only had, what 3 games? Watch the Leopards games; Bondesio is pretty classy and I would love to see him get some ball on the frony foot. Vermaak has been impressive for a while now. I really feel for the guy, in any other country he would at least do bench duty for the national team.

Now it's just a waiting game to see if any of these guys gets included in teh EoYT. I have a feeling Smit, Matfield and co will be there as I can't see PDiv stand up to them. And this blanket conditioning program for all contracted players regardless of individual form/gametime etc is just another joke in the PDivvy show. Somehow I can't see things come right towards the EoYT. The straws I'm clutching atthe mo is that Muir and Gold will get replaced with some coaches with at least an iota of competence and backbone and that Fourie du Preez will be fit and firing to guide a tired and mismanaged, undercooked Bok team to victory and yes I know that maybe I place too much significance on the WC as opposed to general play but really, what other time can everyone say tat they aren't building/tired/rusty etc?

1. Oosthuizen
2. Bismark
3. Harris
4. Hargreaves
5. Franco/Flip Van der Merwe
6. Louw (Minnie)
7. Daniels
8. Vermeulen/Kankowski

9. Pretorius or Vermaak
10. Jantjes/Lambie
11. Basson
12. Doppies
13. De Jongh/ Ebersohn
14. Vd Heever
15. Viljoen/Taute/Lambie

1.Oosthuizen
2.Tiaan
3.Brok
4.Fondse
5.Flip
6.Minnie
7.Alberts
8.Vermeulen
9.Hougard
10.Jantjes
11.Basson
12.Doppies
13.Murray
14. Vd heever
15.Lambie

It's the end of the year, another nice Currie Cup season behind us where the Sharks won their 6th ***le and Western Province, once again, lost a final.

The last message was from almost a month before the final already... After the final (and taking the EOYT into account a little), here is my pick

1. Coenie Oosthuizen (nothing to add)
2. Bismarck du Plessis (another great season)
3. Jannie du Plessis (another Currie Cup win, it's not a coincidence anymore)
4. Alistair Hargreaves (Impressive after the departure of Muller)
5. Anton van Zyl (A Barbarian-invitation to top off a good season)
6. Keegan Daniel (Springbok call-up after yet another season of impressive running and tackling)
7. Willem Alberts (No need to explain, especially after his 3 thunderous matches as a sub)
8. Duane Vermeulen (Best nr. 8 this season with Kankowski disappointing a little)
9. Charl McLeod (The revelation of the Sharks this season in my eyes)
10.Patrick Lambie (maybe his kicking is not 100% but a running fly-half is so nice to have)
11.Lwazi Mvovo (Amazing season full of tries and incredible running. Twinkletoes this man)
12.Meyer Bosman (Had a very fine season and was one of the main reasons the Cheetahs got so far)
13.Juan de Jongh (to me the best centre at his age in years. A serious rival for Fourie with the World Cup only a year away)
14.Bjorn Basson (21 tries, Springbok call-up and a transfer to the Bulls. What more can I say?)
15.Conrad Jantjes (Was thinking of Ludik but it was a coin toss really. Aplon is a winger, not a full back)

I will include a bench as well.

16.Tiaan Liebenberg (Second best hooker this season, ahead of Adriaan Strauss in my humble opinion)
17.Tendai Mtawarira (The Beast always brings something special)
18.Flip van der Merwe (best Bulls-lock with Bakkies and Matfield in the Bok-squad)
19.Ashley Johnson (a real pleasure to watch. Can play in more than 1 position and impressed a lot)
20.Elton Jantjies (Was almost single-handedly responsible for the recovery of the Lions after the dreadful Super14 season)
21.Jacques-Louis Potgieter (Again, a cointoss. This time with Willem de waal but his lack of ability besides kicking pushed me towards JL)
22.Gio Aplon. He deserves a place in the 22 and was not as impressive as Mvovo and Basson but still an example for Habana)

No reserve scrum-half?

Or was it just because all the other scrum-halves were mince? :p

All in all, I concur fully with that team, but swap out JL for say, that guy from the Leopards, Bondisioe I think, or Jano Vermaak

Primarily because they had such a weaker pack than WP, but still worked some magic

Michael Bondiseo would be a nice pick. Just remember that picking a squad of the year is something that is always difficult because you are always leaving out people. I wanted to include Jaco Taute as well but I chose Jantjes in stead. Agree about Vermaak though. I am happy you agree mostly with my squad hehe.

So how about yours...?

Fae you speaking to?

I hope its not me, cause that would mean you have short term memory loss

I don't see it here ;)

Well, I shall utilize the Copy & Paste function

1. Coenie Oosthuizen
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. (Jannie missed too many matches for me) Either Wicus Blaauw or Brok Harris, I can't tell them apart/keep confusing them
4. Alistair Hargreaves
5. Anton van Zyl
6. Keegan Daniel
7. Willem Alberts
8. Duane Vermeulen
9. Charl McLeod
10.Patrick Lambie
11.Lwazi Mvovo
12.Meyer Bosman
13.Juan de Jongh
14.Bjorn Basson
15.Conrad Jantjes