• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

1/3 Season Predictions

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
So we're about a third of the way through the season, approximately, and we've seen enough of most teams to have a good idea of how well they're playing. I think it's about time we started making some more predictions about the final log...

My predictions do not take into consideration play-offs.wi

1 Chiefs (currently 2nd)
The Chiefs are arguably the best all round team in the competition. They've got fantastic depth, and have already completed their tour of South Africa. The only games outside NZ they have left to play are in Sydney and Melbourne, which aren't the scariest places to go at the moment! They're winning currently and are still a fair way from their best, so I can't see them being trumped at the top of the table this year.

2 Brumbies (currently 1st)
Although the Brumbies were lucky to escape with a win against the Bulls, they still look like the best Australian team. With the weakest conference, and only two matches remaining outside Oz (against the Highlanders and the Blues), they're in an enviable position. They have a good team, with a mix of intelligent creators and fantastic finishers, and it's impossible to see them being pipped by the Reds for the top Australian position.

3 Bulls (currently 10th)
Although in the bottom half of the draw currently, the Bulls are only 3 points outside the top six (and get a guaranteed 4 points next week with the bye), and 6 points behind the top placed SA team (the Sharks). They have already toured NZ and Australia, and their remaining games are all very winnable, with only five of them not being at Loftus Versfeld.

4 Crusaders (currently 5th)
The Crusaders are currently on the rise, having won their last three matches, and are still doing so without some of their key players. They have great depth in the squad, and with Carter getting an early rest they are well placed to push on. It will be close between them and the Chiefs for the top NZ spot.

5 Sharks (currently 3rd)

6 Hurricanes (currently 7th)

7 Reds (currently 4th)

8 Cheetahs (currently 6th)

9 Stormers (currently 11th)

10 Waratahs (currently 8th)

11 Blues (currently 9th)

12 Highlanders (currently 15th)

13 Force (currently 12th)

14 Rebels (currently 13th)

15 Kings (currently 14th)

More to come!

yeah pretty good, I kinda think the blues and stormers will be a bit better.

Chiefs are clearly #1 and will stay there as long as they continue a good run with injuries. They have also been rotating players a bit keeping them fresh and showing off their depth. It's all about defense in particular Sam Cane, Liam Messam, Brodie Retalick, latimer and now Richard Kahui these guys individually are defensive Juggernauts/world class players on defense and all working as a team coordinated by Wayne Smith they have a D that just wins games yet they still have the attacking flair to ensure they are one of the best attacking teams to watch as well.

Getting top of the table is going to be key though you would have to say this chiefs side are capable of winning important games away against big teams - a trait usually only seen on a regular basis by the crusaders.

Crusaders will be starting to believe in themselves again in a big way. And I think the Dan Carter break will benefit them in the long run. He will come back fresh in a couple weeks to close out the season.

1 Chiefs
2 Brumbies
3 Sharks
4 Crusaders
5 Stormers
6 Bulls
7 Reds
8 Hurricanes
9 Cheetahs
10 Waratahs
11 Blues
12 Highlanders
13 Force
14 Kings
15 Rebels

yeah pretty good, I kinda think the blues and stormers will be a bit better.

Chiefs are clearly #1 and will stay there as long as they continue a good run with injuries. They have also been rotating players a bit keeping them fresh and showing off their depth. It's all about defense in particular Sam Cane, Liam Messam, Brodie Retalick, latimer and now Richard Kahui these guys individually are defensive Juggernauts/world class players on defense and all working as a team coordinated by Wayne Smith they have a D that just wins games yet they still have the attacking flair to ensure they are one of the best attacking teams to watch as well.

Getting top of the table is going to be key though you would have to say this chiefs side are capable of winning important games away against big teams - a trait usually only seen on a regular basis by the crusaders.

Crusaders will be starting to believe in themselves again in a big way. And I think the Dan Carter break will benefit them in the long run. He will come back fresh in a couple weeks to close out the season.

I think this has also given them some confidence. It shows there is life after death when the big guns go for the Crusaders and the new ones show up. No Read, Dagg, Carter or McCaw and yet they won against the Stormers in South Africa whose two previous wins this season has been against Brumbies and Chiefs (both their only loss of the reason) which shows how good the Stormers are. I find this list pretty accurate apart from the Stormers, they will come back when their players begin to return from injury and although a bad start I see them clawing their way back into the top 6 quite easily.

funny how the table is already taking shape and we are seeing similar shape as per previous years.

Aussie table has two obvious strong teams one average and two crap.
SA table is fairly even apart from one team which is out of the running early and never really had a chance.
NZ table is fairly even apart from one team which is doing badly despite being very strong on paper.

I still see the hurricanes as a major threat, if they keep in touch with the top 6 and do well towards the end of the season - If Barrett and Perenara fire they can beat anyone anywhere. I still think they finished round robin the strongest team at the time last year. If they can peak the same this year and just have a couple more competition points in the bag they will be a scary prospect. They started a bit slow but they have still picked up 3 wins and B & P are starting to find form.