• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your team's greatest XV - from the Heineken Cup era / Super Rugby era

Francis Daguerre, Jean Condom, Patrice Lagisquet and Henri Haget are the players I haven't heard of

From when I've watched Biarritz, I would have Petru Balan, Olivier Roumat, Thomas Lievremont, Julien Peyrelongue/Fran Botica, Martin Gaitan/Joe Roff and Sireli Bobo in that team

was Sotele Puleoto good?

Everyone has heard of condom ...The Irish supporters used to have a bit of a joke going between himself and Willie Anderson chanting that "our Willie is bigger than your Condom" ...quite amusing :p

Mite be a bit late but my best worcester team ever is
1. Matt Mullan
2. Aleki Lutui
3. Adam Black
4. Greg Rawlinson
5. Graphem Kitchener
6. Neil Best
7. Pat Sanderson/ Jake Abbot
8. Talei/Kvesic <<<---- Top Class both of them
9. Jonny Arr
10. Andy Goode<<-- best we have ever had at fly half
11. Marcel Garvey
12. Crockett
13. Higgit/Grove
14. Miles Benjamin
15. Chris Lathem
C'MON U WARRIORS
need 2 get back into the premiership soon but first need 2 beat bedford in the semi finals can't lose again otherwise we wont come back up in a long long time :(

1. Matt Mullan
2. Aleki Lutui
3. Adam Black
4. Greg Rawlinson
5. Graphem Kitchener
6. Neil Best
9. Jonny Arr
11. Marcel Garvey
12. Crockett
13. Higgit/Grove
14. Miles Benjamin
15. Chris Lathem
C'MON U WARRIORS
need 2 get back into the premiership soon but first need 2 beat bedford in the semi finals can't lose again otherwise we wont come back up in a long long time :(

Sad state of affairs

Sotele Puleoto is a club legend in the heart of a Biarrot. He actually left Brive when the club was at their peak of power for more playing time with Biarritz. He was a stalwart for the club for around a decade and a major factor in ending the club's 63 years ***le drought in 2002. Over the next few seasons he started to slow due to all he gave on the pitch and BO eventually let him go to fellow Basque club SJLO.

Francis Daguerre and Henri Haget were the first two legends of the club. They were both on board when the club won their first league ***les in 1935 and 1939. I talked to some supporters of Biarritz that had stories passed on to them by their relatives and these two were always talked about the most. Daguerre was actually born in Saint Pierre and Miquelon and although small in height he was a beast on the pitch. He overpowered a lot of opponents at the time and was eventually moved from hooker to prop for the national team and eventually for Biarritz. He also coached the team. Henri Haget on the other hand was the dominant brother of three for the club and captained France through part of the 1930's. His son Andrew also ended up being an icon for the club.

I'll let lucky number 7 tell you about Condom. ;)

For all the slack Goode gets he's dependable and can control a game - he doesn't do anything flash but he doesn't really do anything.
He's not a game changer, but he's not the worst flyhalf in the world

Improves his defence as that's extra pitch he occupies that the opposition can't run through :p

1. Matt Mullan
2. Aleki Lutui
3. Adam Black
4. Greg Rawlinson
5. Graphem Kitchener
6. Neil Best
9. Jonny Arr
11. Marcel Garvey
12. Crockett
13. Higgit/Grove
14. Miles Benjamin
15. Chris Lathem
C'MON U WARRIORS

I would have thought Rasmussen should be in the centres, Gillies in the locks, Horstman at 8, Windo/Horsman/Taumoepeau in the props, Swanepoel at 9, maybe Drahm at 10 or Tuitupou at 12?

I would have thought Rasmussen should be in the centres, Gillies in the locks, Horstman at 8, Windo/Horsman/Taumoepeau in the props, Swanepoel at 9, maybe Drahm at 10 or Tuitupou at 12?

Tbh i forgot about tuitupou and rawilinson brings a better physical presence in the second row and i think kitchener is great all around the field but i dont rate horstman at 8 because kvesic and talei are guicker and stronger then him and also i didnt choose drahm because he isnt as consistent at kicking as goode but drahm is more attacking but worcester have trouble scoring tries anyway so we need 2 get as many points as we can with the boot. Then i didnt choose rasmussen because crockett and higgit and grove work very well together and link moves nicely. Finaly i think mullan lutui and black are a dominant force at prop however windo horsman and taumoepeau are just as good :)

1. Pek Cowan
2. Brenden Cannon
3. Tai McIssac
4. David Pusey
5. Nathan Sharpe (C)
6. Matt Hodgeson
7. David Pocock
8. Richard Brown
9.Brendan Sheehan
10.Matt Giteau
11.Digby Ioane
12.James O'Connor
13.Nick Cummins/Scott Staniforth
14.Drew Mitchell
15.Cam Shepherd

Thats my force backline. Shame we have so much talent and still dont win :p

1. Pek Cowan
2. Brenden Cannon
3. Tai McIssac
4. David Pusey
5. Nathan Sharpe (C)
6. Matt Hodgeson
7. David Pocock
8. Richard Brown
9.Brendan Sheehan
10.Matt Giteau
11.Digby Ioane
12.James O'Connor
13.Nick Cummins/Scott Staniforth
14.Drew Mitchell
15.Cam Shepherd

Thats my force backline. Shame we have so much talent and still dont win :p

the Force always seem to have a lot of injury prone players in their team e.g. Staniforth, Shepherd etc

my cheetahs side il pick is

15.riaan viljoen
14.JW.Jonker
13.Robert Ebershohn
12.Andries Strauss
11.Philip Burger
10.Willem De Waal
9.Sarel Pretorius (best scrumie in the world)
8.Ashley Johnson
7.Juan Smith
6.Heinrich Brossouw
5.wilhelm Steenkamp
4.Nico Breedt
3.Coenie oosthuizen
2.Adriaan Strauss
1.Os Du Randt

and if i could pick coach Rassie Erasmus because Naka Drotske is the baddest coach in history of rugby

This would be my all time Bulls Super rugby team.

1. Guthro Steenkamp<O:p</O:p
2. Gary Botha<O:p</O:p
3. Werner Kruger<O:p</O:p
4. Bakkies Botha<O:p</O:p
5. Victor Matfield<O:p</O:p
6. Dewald Potgieter<O:p</O:p
7. Danie Russow<O:p</O:p
8. Pierre Spies (despite current form)<O:p</O:p
9. Fourie du Preez<O:p</O:p
10. Morne Steyn\ Derick Hougaard<O:p</O:p
11. Brian Habanna<O:p</O:p
12. JP Nel<O:p</O:p
13. Ethiene Botha<O:p</O:p
14. Bjorn Basson<O:p</O:p
15. Johan Roets<O:p</O:p

Cassie
This would be my all time Bulls Super rugby team.

1. Guthro Steenkamp<O:p</O:p
2. Gary Botha<O:p</O:p
3. Werner Kruger<O:p</O:p
4. Bakkies Botha<O:p</O:p
5. Victor Matfield<O:p</O:p
6. Dewald Potgieter<O:p</O:p
7. Danie Russow<O:p</O:p
8. Pierre Spies (despite current form)<O:p</O:p
9. Fourie du Preez<O:p</O:p
10. Morne Steyn\ Derick Hougaard<O:p</O:p
11. Brian Habanna<O:p</O:p
12. JP Nel<O:p</O:p
13. Ethiene Botha<O:p</O:p
14. Bjorn Basson<O:p</O:p
15. Johan Roets<O:p</O:p

Even though he played at 9 I'd have Joost on one wing. Also, no place for Richard Bands and Ruben kruger? Wynand Olivier ahead of THE backline thug JP Nel for me as well.

Lourens12343
my cheetahs side il pick is

15.riaan viljoen
14.JW.Jonker
13.Robert Ebershohn
12.Andries Strauss
11.Philip Burger
10.Willem De Waal
9.Sarel Pretorius (best scrumie in the world)
8.Ashley Johnson
7.Juan Smith
6.Heinrich Brossouw
5.wilhelm Steenkamp
4.Nico Breedt
3.Coenie oosthuizen
2.Adriaan Strauss
1.Os Du Randt

Andre Venter or Johan Erasmus ahead of Ashley Johnson any day. Brendan Venter at centre for sure. Might even consider Naka Drotske at hooker though I love Strauss as well. Surely there's a ton of better wingers as well.

1. Dan Crowley
2. Sean Hardman
3. Stan Pilecki
4. James Horwill
5. John Eales
6. David Croft
7. David Wilson/Dan Braid (I really can't decide.)
8. Toutai Kefu

9. Jacob Rauluni/Will Genia
10. Elton Flatley/Quade Cooper (I would say Paul McLean but he was out of the Super era.)

11. Digby Ioane
12. Tim Horan
13. Dan Herbert
14. Ben Tune
15. Chris Latham

16. James Hanson
17. Ben Daley
18. Nathan Sharpe
19. John Roe
20. Anthony Faingaa
21. Peter Hynes
22. Jason Little

The Reds might have endured a couple of seasons of mediocrity but when they were good they were bloody good and the current line-up isn't to shabby either.

THE backline thug JP Nel

ha ha good description LOL

The South African teams in my opinion, do you agree?

Bulls:
J van der Westhuyzen, A Ndungane, J Pretorius, W Olivier, B Habana, M Steyn, F du Preez; G Steenkamp, J Dalton, R Bands, B Botha, V Matfield, R Kruger, W van Heerden, P Spies

G Botha, W Kruger, K Otto, P Wannenburg; J van der Westhuizen, D Hougaard, E Botha

Cheetahs: (from players who have played Super rugby for them)
B Fortuin, B Basson, R Ebersohn, M Bosman, J Nokwe, W de Waal, S Pretorius; O du Randt, A Strauss, J du Plessis, R Duncan, B Pieterse, H Brüssow, J Smith, A Johnson

T Liebenberg, CJ van der Linde, C van Zyl, K Floors; M Claassens, J-L Potgieter, M Joubert

Lions:
T Delport, A Willemse, J Fourie, J Mulder, C Williams, Pretorius, Swanepoel; du Randt, Dalton, van der Linde, J Ackermann, J Labuschagne, R Erasmus, A Venter, J van Niekerk

D du Preez, H van der Merwe, W van Heerden, A Vos; J Vermaak, L Koen, J van der Walt

Sharks:
P Montgomery, S Terblanche, A Snyman, F Steyn, JP Pietersen, B James, R Pienaar; O le Roux, J Smit, BJ Botha, J Muller, M Andrews, J Botes, AJ Venter, R Kankowski

B du Plessis, T Mtawarira, J Ackermann, W Alberts; C Davidson, F Michalak, P Muller

Stormers:
P Montgomery, B Paulse, J Fourie, J de Villiers, P Rossouw, B van Straaten, B Conradie; R Kempson, C Marais, C Visagie, S Boome, A Bekker, C Krige, S Burger, B Skinstad

S Brits, B Mujati, Q Davids, L Watson; N de Kock, P Grant, D W Barry

I think if they played a league with all of them at their best the Stormers would win, amazing that they haven't done more with the above players

Racing Metro :

15. Francois STEYN (would love to watch him playing as fullback once again)
14. Sireli BOBO
13. Henry CHAVANCY
12. Albet VULIVULI
11. Mirco BERGAMASCO - Benjamin FALL
10. Juan Martin HERNANDEZ
9. Nicolas DURAND
8. Jacques CRONJE
7. Jone QOVU
6. Remy VAQUIN
5. Lionel NALLET
4. Francois VAN DER MERWE
3. Benjamin SA
2. Benjamin NOIROT
1. Andrea LO CICERO

Bulls:
J van der Westhuyzen, A Ndungane, J Pretorius, W Olivier, B Habana, M Steyn, F du Preez; G Steenkamp, J Dalton, R Bands, B Botha, V Matfield, R Kruger, W van Heerden, P Spies

G Botha, W Kruger, K Otto, P Wannenburg; J van der Westhuizen, D Hougaard, E Botha

B Fortuin, B Basson, R Ebersohn, M Bosman, J Nokwe, W de Waal, S Pretorius; O du Randt, A Strauss, J du Plessis, R Duncan, B Pieterse, H Brüssow, J Smith, A Johnson

T Liebenberg, CJ van der Linde, C van Zyl, K Floors; M Claassens, J-L Potgieter, M Joubert

Lions:
T Delport, A Willemse, J Fourie, J Mulder, C Williams, Pretorius, Swanepoel; du Randt, Dalton, van der Linde, J Ackermann, J Labuschagne, R Erasmus, A Venter, J van Niekerk

D du Preez, H van der Merwe, W van Heerden, A Vos; J Vermaak, L Koen, J van der Walt

Sharks:
P Montgomery, S Terblanche, A Snyman, F Steyn, JP Pietersen, B James, R Pienaar; O le Roux, J Smit, BJ Botha, J Muller, M Andrews, J Botes, AJ Venter, R Kankowski

B du Plessis, T Mtawarira, J Ackermann, W Alberts; C Davidson, F Michalak, P Muller

Stormers:
P Montgomery, B Paulse, J Fourie, J de Villiers, P Rossouw, B van Straaten, B Conradie; R Kempson, C Marais, C Visagie, S Boome, A Bekker, C Krige, S Burger, B Skinstad

I think if they played a league with all of them at their best the Stormers would win, amazing that they haven't done more with the above players

Yeah, for the most part at least.

As for the Stormers, that team with Skinstad, Krige, Paulse, Barry, Rossouw etc were decent and did make it to a home semi and should have gone further. They decided as a players group to strike unless they got paid more. No surprises the tossers not only through away any erspect the fans, managment and others had for them but proceeded to lose that game to a very motivated Highlanders team. Go figure.

Bulls:

Lions:

Sharks:

Stormers:

At least he was not the worst player ever and sometimes had his share of insanity and brilliance. He reminds me of Andre Nel the South African Cricket aggressor. O well for most part I have to agree with your SA team selections. You and stormer2010 is right Rubin and Bands were great and deserve a spot.

Latest posts