• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your played position

That's because they're foolish!

9 = Scrumhalf
10 = Flyhalf
12 = Inside centre

9 + 10 collectively are the halfbacks

You guys are the foolish ones! I'll give you that "flyhalf" sounds cool, but theres no rhyme or reason to it. First five eighths is part of a logical system of classifying the backline:

9 = Half back (halfway between the front of the forward pack and tail of backline)
10 = 1st 5/8ths (5/8ths away from the forward pack and toward the tail of the backline
12 = 2nd 5/8ths (The second man that is 5/8ths away)
13 = Centre Three-quarter (Three quarters away from the front of the forward pack)
11 & 14 = Wing Three-quarter (Also three quarters from the front of the forward pack)
15 = Fullback (All the way at the back)

9 and 10 aren't collectively half back, unless youre running the flattest backline ever seen in rugby

and 12-13? In France we call it first and second centre, I've never heard Openside centre,Inside Centre,Outside/Inside Centre before coming in the UK. Any other names for these positions ?

12 = inside center
13 = outside center

The inside center is closer to the fly-half with scrums and rucks, outside center is closer to the wingers and full-back.

12/inside center is called second five-eighth although I have no idea why. To me there is no link between 10 and 12. 9-10 is a combination and 12-13 is a combination in my world ;)

You guys are the foolish ones! I'll give you that "flyhalf" sounds cool, but theres no rhyme or reason to it. First five eighths is part of a logical system of classifying the backline:

9 = Half back (halfway between the front of the forward pack and tail of backline)
10 = 1st 5/8ths (5/8ths away from the forward pack and toward the tail of the backline
12 = 2nd 5/8ths (The second man that is 5/8ths away)
13 = Centre Three-quarter (Three quarters away from the front of the forward pack)
11 & 14 = Wing Three-quarter (Also three quarters from the front of the forward pack)
15 = Fullback (All the way at the back)

9 and 10 aren't collectively half back, unless youre running the flattest backline ever seen in rugby

5/8s? 3/4s?
It's a rugby field, not a maths lesson :p

Also: Our game, we make the names ;)

Why? Not much is expected of you as long as you kill your opposite number.

Frankly I'm too big, I really shouldn't have played there for as long as I did it was bad for my back. It's also awkward for the whole front row me being 2 or 3 inches bigger then the hooker and other prop.

Frankly I'm too big, I really shouldn't have played there for as long as I did it was bad for my back. It's also awkward for the whole front row me being 2 or 3 inches bigger then the hooker and other prop.

Now I understand can't imagine Buckley is that comfortable.

I play scrum-half but also wing for a couple of seasons. Hated when I played full-back though.

Played centre and wing, love them both but as said wing can be so so boring.

I'd be an awesome fly-half, but because I'm tall - second row. I was the goal-kicker and the best out of hand kicker too, but God forbid you put a tall kid at fly-half! I sucked as a lock, I hate the scrums and I much preffer playing the running game. That's why I did well the couple of runs I got at blindside flank.

Those saying wing is boring are obviously missing the point. You don't stand on the wing, fools, you wander around the pitch at random and give your centres abuse for never passing the ball!

I'm back 3 at the moment, and I'd have to say I enjoy 15 most. I'm probably best at wing, and would quite like to give it a go again though.
I'm a terrible 13, despite playing there for a whole season. Never got the hang of the lines to run or the defensive patterns.
I've had some fun at 10 and 12 in the last season or two, but that's mostly just been ******* around when someone's injured or something.

Not the matter of the ball being passed out to the wing but some games it can be hard even when looking for the ball if your team is intent on kicking the whole match.

Latest posts