• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

XBOX ONE and STEAM BOX

I want a gaming machine. So its PS4 for me.

Plus, all those media features are pretty US only.

Polls seem to be indicating people currently favour PS4 to Xbox One by 80+%. A twitter poll puts it closer to 90%.

Security is the newest concern. There's no way I'm getting an Xbox One which is nearly permanently hooked up to the internet and has a quality microphone and camera constantly on standby.

Polls seem to be indicating people currently favour PS4 to Xbox One by 80+%. A twitter poll puts it closer to 90%.

Security is the newest concern. There's no way I'm getting an Xbox One which is nearly permanently hooked up to the internet and has a quality microphone and camera constantly on standby.

They have said that the camera & mic can be turned off. Even so I'm not that put off by it, my mentaity is "why would anyone want to spy on me, I'm nowhere near significant enough". Think it's been, like most things like this, blown out of proportion by a minority.

I like the Xbox, always have, so will buy a One when I can afford it, which I expect to be circa 2021

The Kinect always plugged in is why I'm not getting an Xbox One. It will likely be always on as you can use it to turn the system on. It could be a good or bad feature overall though such as detect who is playing the game and if they look underage stop them but that opens a whole new area as kinect mostly works on generating heights etc so where is the cut off kinda thing. One thing I've read is the possibility of if they were to work with the film studios they could have it detect how many people are watching a film and if above a set limit then additional licenses would be required. All of it is pure roumers as it stands if they were to announce it, it would be suicide on their part for the console's sales.

The Kinect always plugged in is why I'm not getting an Xbox One. It will likely be always on as you can use it to turn the system on. It could be a good or bad feature overall though such as detect who is playing the game and if they look underage stop them but that opens a whole new area as kinect mostly works on generating heights etc so where is the cut off kinda thing. One thing I've read is the possibility of if they were to work with the film studios they could have it detect how many people are watching a film and if above a set limit then additional licenses would be required. All of it is pure roumers as it stands if they were to announce it, it would be suicide on their part for the console's sales.
Yeah heard this as well.

But whatever they do, I've made my choice. PS exclusives have always been more to my liking (though Gears and Forza Horizon have been my fave MS exclusives this gen). But if MS can somehow wrangle an NFL deal as well as a rugby deal (outside of the US AND I don't have to pay for XBL Gold as well as the service itself as well as the app) then I'll get one when I can afford it. Just not at launch.

Plus i can possibly hook my PS4 up to it due to it being a pass through box. :p :D

Roumers are floating around that the XB One's GPU is getting underclocked to help heat issues / there is an issue with yields on their APU's as they have the eSRAM on the APU wafer.

Roumers are floating around that the XB One's GPU is getting underclocked to help heat issues / there is an issue with yields on their APU's as they have the eSRAM on the APU wafer.

Yea heard that too have to say this is the first news that worries me, other stuff(t.v, always on ect.) I can just ignore but if the performance is going to be reduced which I didn't think it would be thats a blow.

the thing is with consoles is that they are a closed box and all the same, which means that games are developed specifically for the console hardware and take advantage of every bit of power they can muster.

for example I have a windows gaming laptop that is quad core i7 with 8 threads, 32B of DDR3 memory and a GTX675M GPU, when I run a game it hardly uses any of my 32GB of ram and I get very little extra processing power from having 8 processor threads compared to if I just had 3-4, the game is designed so it's compatible with a wide range of hardware - not my specific setup.

also on my laptop I'm running a bulky OS and virus checker and a while bunch of other stuff a console does not have to deal with.

That means that the actual on screen performance from a console is much much better than a PC of compatible specs.

Where a PC game doesn't make full use of my laptop hardware a PS4 game will take full use of the 8 CPU cores, all the GPU cores and all 8GB DDR5

so even though the "next gen" consoles are far behind what a top of the line PC can do the actual performance will be really impressive

also consider cost, I mean a top of the line graphics card for a PC is $800-$1800 just for the card

sure sony/MS could have gone more powerful to cutting edge but that would have pushed the cost of the console to 2,3,4x what they are going to be. Sony kinda did that with the PS3 which was ~$1200? when it came out, that ended up being a big mistake and the PS3 only really took off when they found ways to drive production costs down, I think they even lost money on console sales.

The other limiting factor is the TV. I mean whats the point in having GTX ***an power when the standard resolution of TV's these days is 1080p

I think sony have got it spot on, their product should have fantastic power for really impressive 1080p gaming at a reasonable price point and be easy to develop for. the new xbox not quite as good or as powerful and will cost a bit more but it wont be to far off and still much better than current gen consoles.

The other limiting factor is the TV. I mean whats the point in having GTX ***an power when the standard resolution of TV's these days is 1080p.

You've gotta remember that 4k TV's should become quite common during the lifespan of these consoles. They are beginning to filter into the mainstream, so given a few years they could be the new 'it' thing, just as HD was.

well I know the PS4 will be 4k capable for things other than gaming like video

4k is a big step up from 1080p it's not really a gaming resolution as such, it's just too big a step. Maybe for the next gen.

well I know the PS4 will be 4k capable for things other than gaming like video

4k is a big step up from 1080p it's not really a gaming resolution as such, it's just too big a step. Maybe for the next gen.

The PS3 was released in 2006. It took Sony 7 years to come with a next gen console. When the PS3 was introduced, nobody even had 1080i/720p capable tv's. Broadcasts weren't even in HD.

The PS4 and XB1 are starting in a world where Full HD (1080p) is the standard. A lot can happen in a few years.

that's true but I think it basically is what it is. it is capable of 4k but gaming will be 1080p which is a good improvement on the current generation 720p

the level of power it has is very good for 1080p but wont be enough for higher resolutions.

I don't think that's a bad thing, I mean a console for powerful 4k gaming is possible but would double the price of the console or more.

The interesting thing for this generation in Microsoft's world is that they have designed and manufactured their own processor, with the help of AMD but it's still their own work.

that could mean in future you may see smartphones and tablets or other devices that are Microsoft with Microsoft processors.

I think it reflects the market and the threat of android which is basically free. and the people making the money are the hardware and processor makers like Samsung, HTC, ARM, Apple and so on.

Newish information I've seen regards the XBO, well its more tweets from Xbox support really. The XBO has support only in 21 countries at launch so for example if in SA and you import a XBO from Aus or UK for example, same with games none will work as they can't authenticate as you're in an unsupported region. Semi source - http://abload.de/img/xbonereqqdj.png & the other one http://i.imgur.com/eX7F7kS.jpg

Edit - list of supported regions.
"
[h=2]Xbox One-Supported Xbox Live Countries[/h]
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Russia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game's specific geographic regions."
- http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer

Last edited:
Some good looking games at E3. Particularly Ryse, Forza 5, The Crew looked good to me and Tom Clancy's The Division. Also more Halo makes me very happy.

Its been quite amusing looking at youtube and watching the fanboys got at it, its quite amusing to see what could be a reasoned intelligent debate reduced to badly spelled, 4 letter filled tirades. My reasons for wanting an Xbox One over the PS4 are simple; I want to.

Some good looking games at E3. Particularly Ryse, Forza 5, The Crew looked good to me and Tom Clancy's The Division. Also more Halo makes me very happy.

Its been quite amusing looking at youtube and watching the fanboys got at it, its quite amusing to see what could be a reasoned intelligent debate reduced to badly spelled, 4 letter filled tirades. My reasons for wanting an Xbox One over the PS4 are simple; I want to.
What are you doing in youtube comments sections!!?!?!?!?!?!

Just wondering why people get so worked up and angry at others over a games console

Fanboys!

I had an amstrad, sega megadrive, nintendo 64, PS2 and xbox 360 so at least nobody can accuse me of being a fanboy. :D