• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Win not points to decide winners

Tony Manx

TRF Season Ticket Holder
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Biarritz
In the event of a tie, the position now is that the team with the biggest points difference wins.....this means that whipping the poor teams somehow makes that team the best.

I would argue that where points are the same, the winner as between those teams should be the overall winner and where there is more than one team tied, then the points difference in their matches against each other only should decide.............!!

I'm leaning towards the bonus point for 4 tries and slim defeats tbh maybe it would bring more tries to the competition ? SH play like this then you would get the team that plays the best to win the ***le

I'm leaning towards the bonus point for 4 tries and slim defeats tbh maybe it would bring more tries to the competition ? SH play like this then you would get the team that plays the best to win the ***le

The difference between the RC and the 6N is that the former tournament all teams play each other home and away; if the 6N was the same then I'd agree. Home advantage is as it suggests an advantage. In 6N 2 teams play 2 home matches and 3 away; 3 of the teams play 3 at home and 2 away. This distorts the tournament to favour the countries who play most of their games at home. Home teams are more likely to score tries.

Also if you have bonus points for scoring 4 or more tries, you must have bonus points for losing teams to lose by less than 7 points to reward the defending sides and encourage them to fight back.

Overall the bonus point system works for the RC but it would not work for the 6N.

I think I understand that you think the winner of the game between the two teams should win the tournament, for example this years winner would be England ?
Though I think what you do against the team you are tied with should have greater relevance. But then again using this year as an example what if England had beaten all their teams by one point and Ireland have an off game against them. I don't think then the best team would have won the tournament. Also it means teams are just going to play the boring game and unlike today when England win 52-11 trying to get the points instead would be like 15-11 and just kicking penalties.

In the event of a tie, the position now is that the team with the biggest points difference wins.....this means that whipping the poor teams somehow makes that team the best.

I would argue that where points are the same, the winner as between those teams should be the overall winner and where there is more than one team tied, then the points difference in their matches against each other only should decide.............!!

I think that would be better if we played home and away tbh then take an aggregate score over the 2 games if it was level .

Latest posts