• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why this game will be poor

funksoulbrother

Academy Player
this is a quote from the makers in Q and A part 3

"What current improvements are you looking to make regarding passing the ball? In previous games it was all very "magnetic". Will we need to time our passes better, like the tendency we have seen in recent FIFA games?

Glen Gavin: We did play around with the passing lines early on during our pre-production period. It was something that was very difficult for us to get right as it would become quite frustrating to play. Physics driven animation systems are great for this purpose but are prohibitively expensive to develop and implement. Expect to see the passing working very similar to how it did in the previous rugby games because we know that it works from a fun gameplay standpoint."

The passing in the previous EA Rugby games have been poor due to the fact when yo press pass you have to wait a second for the animation to kick in, by which time you get tackled. This means you have to press pass before you need to.

JLR got passing spot on, and that was over 15 years ago.

This game will be poor by the sounds of it. I wonder if they will mess the rucks up as well?

"Expect to see the passing working very similar to how it did in the previous rugby games"

looks like they are just doing a basic remake of the previous game with better graphics

So you're saying that the animations were to blame. Yes, a lot of problems were caused by the slow animations, but they also promised to fix that too.

Even if this game is a HD version of Rugby 06 or 08 with a few slight improvements I'll be pretty stoked... I'm still playing 06 and it's still one of my favourite games!
Just a question, can you pass instantly?

well you could in R08, if you were really quick the centers volleyed the pass :D

well you could in R08, if you were really quick the centers volleyed the pass :D

Ok, anticipating a pass and hitting the pass button while the ball is still in the air was really good but the passing cant be 'instant'. There needs to be a passing animation otherwise we'll be complaining that it looks silly, the speed of a pass should vary depending on the players passing stats, length of pass and difficulty of the pass.
In real life you cant just flick the ball away as you go into contact and expect a perfect pass... I'm sure that offloads will feature in the game but instant passing just seems stupid

I don't see how anyone can form opinions on anything just yet.

they need to have some way of controlling the pass, either lob or quick fire it off. how they do that? i do not know. maybe how long you hold the button down? so when your running, you can see where your support is and as you approach the defence, you time how long you need to hold it down for.

I don't see how anyone can form opinions on anything just yet.

To add to this, I don't think you can say that the game is poor until you actually play it,
I thought GTAIV was going to be the best game ever, but then I played it and realised it was dog-poo

To add to this, I don't think you can say that the game is poor until you actually play it,
I thought GTAIV was going to be the best game ever, but then I played it and realised it was dog-poo

yeah i agree, GTAIV was crap. Saints Row 2 was waaay better!

Going on past HB Studio Rugby games (which have all been very poor if we are honest) why should this game be any different? From what we have heard so far this game sounds like a simple remake from the previous game just with nicer graphics. JLR is still king which is very sad as that was over 15 years ago!!!

Ok, anticipating a pass and hitting the pass button while the ball is still in the air was really good but the passing cant be 'instant'. There needs to be a passing animation otherwise we'll be complaining that it looks silly, the speed of a pass should vary depending on the players passing stats, length of pass and difficulty of the pass.
In real life you cant just flick the ball away as you go into contact and expect a perfect pass... I'm sure that offloads will feature in the game but instant passing just seems stupid

You couldn't just anticipate the pass, if you pressed to early 9 times out of 10 it would cause a knock on.

Playing Rugby Challenge 2006 atm as my Rugby 06 stopped working on the 360. Although HB games aren't on par with the big games like FIFA and Madden, its a clear winner against the competition. Even with the canned animations, it flows so much better and you can vary the play a bit more. Challenge 06 is litterally pass left, tackle, pass right, tackle. Eventually get through, chip ahead and score. Line outs you just press a button and its a 1 in 3 chance of winning. If the opposing team presses the opposite button they win the line out.

Scrums and Rucks are slightly better, it has a circle with a dot going round, you have to time when you press it within the lightened area and gets faster each time you get it right. But other than that, EA Rugby was a much better franchise. A HD 08 is still a win for me, would obviously be happier with more improvements than that but HB are right. What they had was fun, and thats what counts.

Going on past HB Studio Rugby games (which have all been very poor if we are honest) why should this game be any different? From what we have heard so far this game sounds like a simple remake from the previous game just with nicer graphics. JLR is still king which is very sad as that was over 15 years ago!!!

JLR is utter ******** now, the only people who believe otherwise are nostalgic and haven't actually played it any time in the past decade.

Rugby 05, 06 & 08 were actually excellent.

JLR is utter ******** now, the only people who believe otherwise are nostalgic and haven't actually played it any time in the past decade.

Rugby 05, 06 & 08 were actually excellent.

Its true. What I remember from JLR is being able to hand off every player and then they wouldn't stand up until the ball went out of play. Was quite funny looking at all 15 players of the opposition laying on the floor like little blobs.

I love the gaming noobs who come here and post their bit, slag the game off and run away.

To be fair to FSB he's been on the forum since day one more or less.

the key and integral word in their quote is one of "similar" not "the same. You cannot justify pre judgement before you have even seen any screenshots, etc. Be patient and be critical once there is evidence to do so.

I'd just like to add to this. I press pass on Rugby 08 and it passes, no delay. You must time your passes really badly for that to happen. Or maybe its your computer or console. You can't judge an upcoming game on something that works fine in previous games.

Latest posts