• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who do you think have been the standout performers in the ITM Cup teams so far 2012?

jlowe

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Northland
Players that haven't made a huge impact yet on bigger scenes imo:

Northland:
-Dan Pryor
-Ash Moeke
-Derek Carpenter
- one of the whetton brothers, the one that plays blindside?

North Harbour:

-Bryn Hall
-Luke Devcich

Auckland:
-Charles Piutau
-Ofa Taungafasi
-Ben Lam

Waikato:
-Chris Middleton
-Piers Francis

BOP:
- havent seen much of BOP, cant really judge

Hawkes Bay:
- Ihaia West
- Gillies kaka

Taranaki:
- Kane barrett
- Kurt Baker

Wellington:
-Ardie Savea
-Jason woodward
-someone Proctor??

Manawatu:
- Jason emery
- have not seen much of manawatu

Tasman:
-tim perry?? i think thats his name?
-their first 5
-james lowe (no relation lol)

Otago
- hayden parker
-buxton popoalii

cantab:
- have not seen much

southland:
-have not seen much of but michael fatialofa is a very strong player
-marty mckenzie
-scott eade

I disagree with your Waikato choices. Though I'd disagree with any Waikato players being in there... They've all been decidedly average.

it probably wasn't fair for me to comment on waikato either seeing as I have only seen one or two games of theirs. In what I have seen, i thought they have been the best for Waikato imo

Middleton hasn't been bad, though he hasn't stood out over any other players in the tournament. Francis has cost Waikato multiple chances at drawing/winning games due to very poor decision making. I think his general play has been ok, but nothing more.

as for Otago, i would say Tanaka should be in there

Sherwin Stowers has looked pretty nippy when I've seen him... No?

Middleton hasn't been bad, though he hasn't stood out over any other players in the tournament. Francis has cost Waikato multiple chances at drawing/winning games due to very poor decision making. I think his general play has been ok, but nothing more.

Francis looks to have some talent, but has an obsession with kicking the ball which is very frustrating!

as for Otago, i would say Tanaka should be in there

Yep, Tanaka has been our player of the season thus far IMO. In the last two home games he has received a standing ovation from the some sections of the crowd when he has been subbed off with 10 minutes to go! The other names that I would add for Otago would be Rob Verbakel and Paul Grant.

Sherwin Stowers has looked pretty nippy when I've seen him... No?

Yeah Stowers is pretty good at this level. He hasn't quite stepped up to Super Rugby level yet, though he did look good when he got a few chances at the end of last season.

A few other relatively unknown players that have impressed me:
Cardiff Vaega (Southland), Dom Bird (Canterbury), Johnny McNicholl (Canterbury), Sam Christie (Tasman), Waisake Naholo (Taranaki), Josh Hohneck (BOP), Bundee Aki (Counties), Adam Cathcart (Counties), Ronald Raaymakers (Counties), Suliasi Taufalele (Counties - yep lots of them!).

sorry i forgot Counties!!

-Bundee Aki
-Adam Cathcart
-Baden Kerr
-Jimmy Tupou
-Prop... Simon lemalu?? something like that?

not much to talk about in the waikato team, though of anyone I would say that the props Toby Smith and Ben May have generally been very good and Alex Bradley has also worked hard

Piers Francis has shown some potential in the last game but overall he's been average. 10-13 and a really poor line out have really let the waikato side down this season. Barlow has been awful compared to his form in super rugby. Leonard is clearly better right at this point in time.

Matt van Levin, Tim Mikkleson and O'Donnell are good players but the overall team form is making them look bad.

Latest posts