• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which Quarter Final upset do you think is most likely to occur?

Which Quarter Final upset is most likely?

• Wales beat South Africa

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Argentina beat Ireland

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • France beat New Zealand

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Scotland beat Australia

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Biggest upset of the 1/4's: Ireland beat Argentina by 20.

Without any jokes, maybe I did not watch enough of the 6 Nations games. Apparently it's only me and the Irish fans that rate Ireland?And no, it's got nothing to do with their opponents. I just really rate the Irish. Always have. They play the type of rugby I grew up with.

- - - Updated - - -

And I would also be a little arrogant if I wuzz an AB....they ARE good.

I can see Wales being very tricky for the Boks. I think the Boks will win but their direct style of attack is something thge Welsh will be happy about.

Argentina scored the most amount of points in the group stage, can't discredit them.

Argentina to beat Ireland. Ireland will fight, but will not have enough. My thoughts anyway. Imagine having Argentina in a semi-final again. Would be something for the game.

Just a bit of fun. Use the poll to choose which quarter final upset you think would be most likely to occur this weekend.

Wales to defeat South Africa
Argentina to defeat Ireland
France to defeat New Zealand
Scotland to defeat Australia

Personally I can see Wales beating SA in close tryless game.
Argentina beating Ireland and sharing 40 odd points.
France beating NZ in another close game.
And finally Oz beating Scotland by 20 plus points.

- - - Updated - - -

Current odds -:

Wales to win 12/5
France to win 4/1
Argentina to win 19/ 5

Odds with William Hill giving a return of 49.3/1 for the treble ie put a tenner on the treble and get back £493.00. Not bad if you fancy those 3 results
Best current price on Scotland winning is 9/1 with Betfair, which I think says it all about their chances.

- - - Updated - - -

France, bring down the arrogance known as New Zealand.[/QUOTE

That's a bit Pot/Kettle isn't it, if you're as good as the All Blacks have been over the years, I think you're confussing Arrogance with confidence.

Don't get people talking up the Irish for this match. I reckon Argentina will beat them, they've been sensational so far and have no weaknesses or limitations. Also think our boys are going to edge South Africa.

In order...............

Argentina.
Wales.
France.

Last edited:
None of the above... Wales to pip SA if SA don't show up but that team is scarily focused.

Then Argentina but in competitive games this year Ireland have conceded more than 20 points once and three tries in their 7 games against tier 1 nations and defence isn't really going to be affected by the missing players, I don't see anything to suggest Argentina can break them down. Saying that I had seen nothing to suggest Ian Madigan could control a game of rugby at top international level prior to Sunday.

France having in a world class performance for the first time in 4/5 years and NZ continuing to be a little off boil is more likely than Scotland beating Australia... Which says a lot!

I truly think that it'll be the first time since '03 that all the group winners will go through. It's also bloody important for Irish rugby that we win, a semi here is almost as important to us as winning the thing was to NZ four years ago.

None of the above... Wales to pip SA if SA don't show up but that team is scarily focused.

Then Argentina but in competitive games this year Ireland have conceded more than 20 points once and three tries in their 7 games against tier 1 nations and defence isn't really going to be affected by the missing players, I don't see anything to suggest Argentina can break them down. Saying that I had seen nothing to suggest Ian Madigan could control a game of rugby at top international level prior to Sunday.

France having in a world class performance for the first time in 4/5 years and NZ continuing to be a little off boil is more likely than Scotland beating Australia... Which says a lot!

I truly think that it'll be the first time since '03 that all the group winners will go through. It's also bloody important for Irish rugby that we win, a semi here is almost as important to us as winning the thing was to NZ four years ago.

1. And in the competitive games you speak of how many times did they score over 20 points? Scotland and Italy in the Six Nations and then France on the weekend.
2. I do. They probably have the in form back three in the competition in Tuculet, Cordero and Imhoff, all of whom are electric, the play making ability of Hernandez and Sanchez at 10 and 12, a couple of livewire halves in Cubelli and Landajo, and unbelievably skilled set of back rowers in Senatore, Matera, Fernandez-Lobbe and not to mention Isa who doesn't even make their starting team. If that fails, then their scrum is also a weapon (although to be fair Ireland are decent there).

They have zero weaknesses in my opinion. Creevy is an inspirational leader to top it off and Ireland's inspirational captain is gone. To me this just would not be an upset, especially with all the players missing. Happy to be proven wrong of course, I'm half Irish and will be barracking for the boys in green.

1. And in the competitive games you speak of how many times did they score over 20 points? Scotland and Italy in the Six Nations and then France on the weekend.
2. I do. They probably have the in form back three in the competition in Tuculet, Cordero and Imhoff, all of whom are electric, the play making ability of Hernandez and Sanchez at 10 and 12, a couple of livewire halves in Cubelli and Landajo, and unbelievably skilled set of back rowers in Senatore, Matera, Fernandez-Lobbe and not to mention Isa who doesn't even make their starting team. If that fails, then their scrum is also a weapon (although to be fair Ireland are decent there).

They have zero weaknesses in my opinion. Creevy is an inspirational leader to top it off and Ireland's inspirational captain is gone. To me this just would not be an upset, especially with all the players missing. Happy to be proven wrong of course, I'm half Irish and will be barracking for the boys in green.
1. In all of those games they scored enough points to win, which is rather important.
2. Ireland manage to negate a lot of wide threats by slowing the ball down, Argentina have been sloppy at the breakdown at times and it has lead to them not only losing the ball but conceding points. I also expect the backrow and Henshaw to get up close and personal with Sanchez and Hernandez while Bowe and D Kearney have dealt soundly with better back threes in their time.
3. Their defence hasn't exactly been water tight, Ireland aren't the best at attacking but the cut the French open on occasion on Sunday, Agentina look weaker than the French for me here.
4. POC is a huge loss but we replace him with a better rugby player and have leaders all over the pitch in Heaslip and Best who have captained Ireland, Reddan too to come off the bench, Ryan, Kearney and Henry have captained their provinces I'm pretty sure and Sexton and Murray are pretty sound when it comes to leadership too.

Schmidt gives Ireland an edge in almost every game they play as well, I imagine he'll get his team to slow down the pace of the game to a crawl whenever Argentina are getting up ahead of steam, it worked well against France and I think it will be easier to implement against a side who don't have the quality Thierry Dusatoir brings to the breakdown. Of all teams at the World Cup, apart from New Zealand, Ireland are best equipped to handle the challenge from Argentina and I think they'll do it well.

But then again I've been very wrong in the past, we all have and it's part of the fun of pre match analysis, risking hanging yourself out to dry!!!

Don't get people talking up the Irish for this match. I reckon Argentina will beat them, they've been sensational so far and have no weaknesses or limitations. Also think our boys are going to edge South Africa.

They've played exactly like they have in the rugby championship. Problem is when you come up against the top teams, errors are punished. Ireland will need an off day to lose this.

You've always had it, but we wanted to be better than you at something this World Cup.

Lol
Fair play.

- - - Updated - - -

Argentina looked very average against the AB's and that was with us having 13 men on the pitch in the first half.

It's actually hard to me to say which one is the favorite in the Ireland vs Argentina match.

Just submitted a multi bet at the TAB

Wales 12 and under
New Zealand 12 and under
Argentina 12 and under
Australia 13 plus.

...but SA and Ireland fans shouldn't fret- I've probably put the kiss of death on Argentina and Wales.
And (hopefully not) NZ!