• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Where to play Keith Earls

In what position is Keith Earls best equipped in the long-run?

• Inside Centre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Outside Centre

• Wing

• Fullback

• Total voters
He's in UCD where John Cooney the current u20 starter is the scrum half. Cooney was on the u20 panel last year so he's obviously highly rated but I feel Du Toit has a bigger future. Since he's moved from the backrow to scrumhalf, Du Toit has to bit to learn about the position. I expect him to start for the 20s next year.

Lads I really think Trimble is at height of his limits now and will never be a serious prospect to start consistently.

Snoop I really believe Earls will never make a 12 and well unless McFadden moves he'll never pressure Cave (who still has alot to do)

Earls will be 13 I think as Tommy will stay on wing and I really think F. Carr's next move will decide if he is to be seriously considered.
Personally I still big believer that Luke at 12 and Earls at 13 is probably our best combination with Kearney, Bowe and possibly Carr or even Cave getting in with Earls on wing.

Think we'll all agree though Keith will be a starter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 14 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Personally I still big believer that Luke at 12 and Earls at 13 is probably our best combination[/b]
I like the look of that. Fitzgerald could be the 12 in the not too distant future. He's played there for Ireland on a couple of occasions and has been picked there by Michael Cheika in the Heineken Cup versus Brive.

Look away now King D'arcy.

Keith Earls and Tommy Bowe look almost undroppable on the wings right now. Brian O'Driscoll is also undroppable while Rob Kearney and Geordan Murphy have full back sewn up between them. Once Luke Fitzgerald comes back from injury, perhaps it makes sense for Ireland to pick him at 12 instead of Gordon D'arcy (who'll be an outstanding impact sub) with NZ 2011 in mind. After that competition or the 2012 6 Nations, Earls shifting to outside centre is possible.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 14 2010, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 14 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I still big believer that Luke at 12 and Earls at 13 is probably our best combination[/b]
I like the look of that. Fitzgerald could be the 12 in the not too distant future. He's played there for Ireland on a couple of occasions and has been picked there by Michael Cheika in the Heineken Cup versus Brive.

Look away now King D'arcy.

Keith Earls and Tommy Bowe look almost undroppable on the wings right now. Brian O'Driscoll is also undroppable while Rob Kearney and Geordan Murphy have full back sewn up between them. Once Luke Fitzgerald comes back from injury, perhaps it makes sense for Ireland to pick him at 12 instead of Gordon D'arcy (who'll be an outstanding impact sub) with NZ 2011 in mind. After that competition or the 2012 6 Nations, Earls shifting to outside centre is possible.
[/b][/quote]
What I'd love to know (bit off topic) is if Luke hadn't been injured would Kearney have been kept on bench for Leinster this year.

He is playing very poorly (like Delon Armitage) he seems to have set high standards last season (Kearney more so) and just can't get near them this year.
Murphy deserves the 15shirt now until Kearney EARNS it back off him.

But Luke is ideal 12 as he is big, physical and great defensively with good rugby brain too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 14 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Today he showed great skill with flick up (as he did vs Dragons in ML last year).

In long-term I see Luke Fitz as our 12 and Keith as our 13. And personally my backline in few years would be:

9. T.O'Leary
10. J.Sexton
11. I think Johne Murphy may be a wild card bet (he only gone 25)
12. L.Fitzgearld
13. K.Earls
14. King Bowe
15. R.Kearney

But still in shock that a guy who is improving at a rapid pace and turning into as good a player as the Kearney's, Fitz's etc is being questioned.[/b]
Isn't that flick up moment someone's avatar? Feet like hands! Beautiful skill.

I question Earls, and I still question Bowe. And Fitzgerald and Sexton as well. I have yet to see any one of them do serious damage to serious opposition at international level. Bowe had a chance with the Lions, but didn't deliver in the tests. Earls looks like the most serious contender at the moment.

What I really mean is that none of them has got the winning score against the ABs! Seriously, I can't imagine any of them imposing himself on the ABs in the RWC. Yet. We should have a good crack at the GS next year, and that will be the time to see if these guys are ready.

BOD and D'arcy have a few years left in them
by the time they retire I think earls will ready for outside centre I just think it sounds dreadfull to take bowe of the wing however i'm sure he'll be fine in centre. fitzgerald should stay on the wing. I think trimble needs to play like he does for ulster.
what about paddy wallace?
I still say kearney is a great player but he is just of form.
by the time BOD and d'arcy fergus mcfadden and cave could be world class who knows

It's very difficult to Judge what a backline in 4/5 years will look like especially if players in this years U20 team live up to the hype. For all we know it could end up like this

Conway
Bowe
Earls
Fitzgerald
Zebo

then players like Macken, or O'Halloran could overtake any of the above. You just can't know. Exciting times in the backs though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Mar 14 2010, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's very difficult to Judge what a backline in 4/5 years will look like especially if players in this years U20 team live up to the hype. For all we know it could end up like this

Conway
Bowe
Earls
Fitzgerald
Zebo

then players like Macken, or O'Halloran could overtake any of the above. You just can't know. Exciting times in the backs though.[/b]

And in the back row

Jamie Heaslip
Stephen Ferris
Kevin McLaughlin
Sean O'Brien
Chris Henry
Rhys Ruddock
Dominic Ryan
Patrick Butler

These are all young talented lads. I'm probably leaving a heap out again but this is just an example of what we've to look forward to.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Mar 14 2010, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Mar 14 2010, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Conway
Bowe
Earls
Fitzgerald
Zebo

then players like Macken, or O'Halloran could overtake any of the above. You just can't know. Exciting times in the backs though.[/b]

And in the back row

Jamie Heaslip
Stephen Ferris
Kevin McLaughlin
Sean O'Brien
Chris Henry
Rhys Ruddock
Dominic Ryan
Patrick Butler

These are all young talented lads. I'm probably leaving a heap out again but this is just an example of what we've to look forward to.
[/b][/quote]
Exactly we don't know as anyone could have serious injury and form will play massive part.

King lets not forget O'Mahony either :)

But Coonor Wallace is same age as ROG so doubt he'll be one for future.