• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Where to now for The Blues?

FlukeArtist

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Blues
After JK & Henry were announced as coaches last year, I called it that the Blues would be contenders in 2014 (ie next year).
Their early season form in 2013 suprised me and had me thinking that they could actually be contenders this year.

But I am very worried that the Blues will not be anywhere near my 2014 prediction after the last few games the Blues have played this year.

They look like the Canes of last year. Lots of promise but lacking in crucial areas.

Unfortunately for the Blues the areas that I feel are lacking are not easy fixes.
They STILL lack a decent 8 and 10. And they still lack nactical nous.
Neither problem will be solved by sticking with the status quo. We need a cull, and quality new recruits.

It's time for new blood.

Boric & Ranger are gone after this season (not that Boric has done much). Ranger is a huge loss though. He is showing the form of his career and will now be lost to NZ rugby for 3 years.

It is very hard for me to write the next paragraph about the next two guys, as they are Blues legends, but...
We NEED to get rid of Ali Williams, he is worse than just a player who is past his prime; he is a liability in both his effort on the pitch, and in his discipline.
he shouldn't be in the starting team, let alone captain.
It's also time Mealamu headed off to Japan / Europe for his "gold watch" his fire is burning low these days.

We should also be trying to get Kaino back to replace Peter Sai'ili - Sai'ili has shown he is not up to scratch. He has had enough time at this level now, but fails in basic decision making, and you need better at No 8.

We STILL lack a decent 1st five.
Noakes shows promise, but he is a bit frail physically and defensively.
Badden Kerr is simply not up to Super Rugby level and the sooner we get rid of him, the better.
Maybe they should be looking at getting Anscombe back? There are no better options. Unless, possibly Benji Marshall makes the switch (but there is still a question mark over whether he can make the transition)

I think the front row looks good, with Faumuina, Parsons and Ta'avao.
Liaki Moli still holds promise for me at Lock, and Retallick is a good player.
Braid and Luatua are fantastic players, but as I mentioned before; they need a decent 8 to complete the loose forward package.

Weepu is a given, but i'm not sure Goodison-Park is a good back-up.

Midfield is well served by Willison & Francis Sai'ili (and perhaps Malakai Fekitoa in a couple of years)
The back three is in good shape already, and has plenty of other talent coming through too in the likes of Lolangi Visinia (amongst others)

A big work on point for me this year is that Henry MUST be involved more.
He is the key.
If he is 100% focussed on the Blues, the Blues will be in with a good shot of winning the thing.

Latest posts