• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Where does Dan Biggar go now?

GarethEWilliams

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
I am sure this has been done before, so sorry if I am bringing up old news but I do wonder where it all went wrong (if you are one who believe it has!) I know he is only 22, and is one of many who have been touted as the next big thing, but hearing so many comments on him not being good enough, and not running games very well what is next for the youngster? So many Ospreys supporters (I know we are a fickle bunch) have been calling for Morgan as he offers more, but before we do that I want to know what has changed with Biggar. He was meant to be the future, being capped just after his 19th birthday.

The Ospreys have a thing about not getting the best from their 10's, either by playing them out of position, or by them going downhill rather than improving. Is that the issue?

He'll go to Tonmawr 6ths if I've got anything to do with it!!!!

He'll go to Tonmawr 6ths if I've got anything to do with it!!!!

ha ha. So have you never rated him, or has he gone backwards? Do you think the Ospreys get the most out of their number 10's?

He went wrong when he believed his own hype rather than focusing on the parts of his game that needs work. He needs a coach to tell him "look, you arent as good as you think you are, you have potential to be so stop looking in the mirror and pull yer finger out" or something like that.

He went wrong when his passing game disappeared. I'm not sure if that's because of a couple of intercepts given away, or because the Ospreys coaching team told him to stop. When he first came to our attention shortly before the JWC in '08, his passing game was able to unlock defenses, but he struggled to apply that to professional rugby where there's less time and space for long missed passes.

I feel he's simply one of those players that can't step-up despite the potential they showed at a young age. That doesn't mean he hasn't got an important role to play at the Ospreys, but for me Matthew Morgan needs to be moved ahead of Biggar to see if he's got what it takes. From the same U20 side, Gareth Owen is another that hasn't been able to make the step-up, which is such a pitty because a few of us here saw him as the future Welsh 12 some time ago. These things happen, not every promising young player will progress to international class.

To be fair though, Guff's progress has been hampered severely by injuries. He's had 2 season-enders and he's only 22, that's always going to impact on your development. It's a shame cos I thought he'd be brilliant too.

To be fair though, Guff's progress has been hampered severely by injuries. He's had 2 season-enders and he's only 22, that's always going to impact on your development. It's a shame cos I thought he'd be brilliant too.

YehI know, not great. But he was struggling to make an impact before his injuries, although I partly put that down to mismanagement, with him getting thrown into one off games expected to perform which often resulted in him trying too hard. He was sat on the bench for most of him non-injured time, which I think resulted in him not playing any rugby at all, because he wasn't available for his affiliated club, but wasn't playing for the O's either. Any news on when he's due back from injury, I'm still hopefull he can make it, and could make a nice combination with Beck since Bishop has taken a nosedive in form.

He went wrong when he believed his own hype rather than focusing on the parts of his game that needs work. He needs a coach to tell him "look, you arent as good as you think you are, you have potential to be so stop looking in the mirror and pull yer finger out" or something like that.
This.
I watched him play v Canada in 2009 (no disrespect, but not the toughest opposition) and he was very good, he looked confident, didn't miss a kick, and did what he could with an awful midfield (Foxy's debut, bless). It was that season where he really began to play a big role with the Ospreys and when he began to go downhill, probably getting caught up in the hype.

YehI know, not great. But he was struggling to make an impact before his injuries, although I partly put that down to mismanagement, with him getting thrown into one off games expected to perform which often resulted in him trying too hard. He was sat on the bench for most of him non-injured time, which I think resulted in him not playing any rugby at all, because he wasn't available for his affiliated club, but wasn't playing for the O's either. Any news on when he's due back from injury, I'm still hopefull he can make it, and could make a nice combination with Beck since Bishop has taken a nosedive in form.
No idea when he'll be back. Also didn't help being thrown in at 10, 12, 13 and having an extended run at 15 when it's clear he's no full-back. I have it on absolute authority that he considers himself a fly-half though (my best mate was his captain at Maesteg youth) so maybe there's a future there? Any excuse to give Biggar less time in an O's shirt is a good one for me!!!

Owen started on the wing once, didn't he?
Was in the Welsh squad for the 2009 North American tour as well (pulled out from injury, like Eifion).

When/if Owen is fit again. I think they will play him at fullback, which i think may be his strongest position in the modern game. We have quite a lot of depth in the centres now.

I think Biggar comes in from some ridiculous abuse. People are so quick to criticise him and praise Morgan who can do no wrong. If the Ospreys got rid of Biggar and Morgan started every game, then in two years Ospreys fans would be calling for Morgan to be dropped and complaining that he never passes the ball and always goes himself, or that he is a liability defensively, or that we should give game time to whoever the next young kid is. That is just the way with some people. They're both good players who still have a long way to go before they are complete in their development, but at the moment Biggar is by far the better all around 10 for me. He gives his all for the region and has won us a number of games in a side that hasn't hit form since 09/10.

Morgan may look more exciting and his breaks are great to watch, but his general play is not as good. His kicking out of hand is pretty poor and he actually kicks just as much as Biggar, something people overlook. It's the same at scrum half. Kahn is a better all around scrum half than Webb, but because Webb makes a few exciting breaks as Morgan does, he's suddenly the greatest scrum half in Wales.

Are the O's the only team who play so many people out of position so much? It seems like someone will have a preferred position and then we decide to move them to another one. Square pegs in round holes? Henson/Hook/JT/R.Jones/Owen. sometimes it comes off I know but it does cause a lot of disruption.

Oh, as for Owen, I still have hopes that he could provide the missing link at 13. Would like to see Ross Jones get some time at full back.

Owen started on the wing once, didn't he?
Was in the Welsh squad for the 2009 North American tour as well (pulled out from injury, like Eifion).
Against Connacht last season, as I recall, and scored a try in that match as well. To be honest, I think he is a Fullback, although Ross Jones and Tom Prydie look better options to me, if only because Owen is now getting on a bit. (Not that he's old, but he should be hitting his peak, when instead he's not at the level he was a few seasons ago) Never heard of this Gareth King chap, though. Shall keep an eye out for- *Googles* Oh. He's 32. Never mind.

Are the O's the only team who play so many people out of position so much? It seems like someone will have a preferred position and then we decide to move them to another one. Square pegs in round holes? Henson/Hook/JT/R.Jones/Owen. sometimes it comes off I know but it does cause a lot of disruption.

Pretty much. The Ospreys are terrible for doing this. Imagine if Jamie Roberts played for the O's, he'd have been continually switchd between centre, wings and fullback to accommodate the likes of Fussell, Bishop or Parker probably.

Pretty much. The Ospreys are terrible for doing this. Imagine if Jamie Roberts played for the O's, he'd have been continually switchd between centre, wings and fullback to accommodate the likes of Fussell, Bishop or Parker probably.
I maintain that if Leigh Halfpenny hadn't left us to join the Blues then he'd still be rotting as another nobody in the reserves instead of being an integral part of the Wales team & Lions tourist. Who knows what others like him could achieve if they sought to play elsewhere?

I maintain that if Leigh Halfpenny hadn't left us to join the Blues then he'd still be rotting as another nobody in the reserves instead of being an integral part of the Wales team & Lions tourist. Who knows what others like him could achieve if they sought to play elsewhere?

You are 100% right and Halfpenny would tell you this himself, I would not be surprised to see many more leaving although I heard the other day 50 academy players are being let go by the Ospreys at the end of the season (not sure how much truth is in that though)

Latest posts