• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What games are you playing?

Picked up Steep in the sales
Glad I didn't pay full price for it but it's a fun game.
Pretty shallow, and no real career mode or anything (it really focuses on/hams up it being "Open world" when in reality you just fast travel to different races etc.) but decent enough

About to give Hearts of Iron 4 a go on PC. Anyone play/played it?

Love a good strategy game and with Total War not touching WW2 I thought this looks good!

About to give Hearts of Iron 4 a go on PC. Anyone play/played it?

Love a good strategy game and with Total War not touching WW2 I thought this looks good!
Have they announced they'll never do a WWII game? I'd be all over that because with the exception of their Medieval and Rome games they don't really have a period of history that interests me enough to buy their other games.
I'll look into Hearts of Iron 4 next time there's a good steam sale because I'd love a crack at WWII so let me know how you get on!

Have they announced they'll never do a WWII game? I'd be all over that because with the exception of their Medieval and Rome games they don't really have a period of history that interests me enough to buy their other games.
I'll look into Hearts of Iron 4 next time there's a good steam sale because I'd love a crack at WWII so let me know how you get on!
Hearts of Iron is apparently one that's a lot of fun online (you each take control of a country and can decide if you want to become fascist/communist etc and go through the war), but becomes a bit dull single player because the AI gets predictable.

Looking through Total War forums it seems as though they would never touch 20th century onwards because of the battles and block infantry type fighting? I hope they would eventually give it a crack though!

I'll post on here when I get chance to play it properly as it seems a lengthy one just to get used to never mind using it to its potential.

Hearts of Iron is apparently one that's a lot of fun online (you each take control of a country and can decide if you want to become fascist/communist etc and go through the war), but becomes a bit dull single player because the AI gets predictable.

Rome and Med Total War had predictable AI's for me but still two of the best PC games ever. Loved the Lord of the Rings MOD too!

Heard a lot of good things about Hearts of Iron 4,
A podcast I listen to raves about it

Y
Looking through Total War forums it seems as though they would never touch 20th century onwards because of the battles and block infantry type fighting? I hope they would eventually give it a crack though!

I'll post on here when I get chance to play it properly as it seems a lengthy one just to get used to never mind using it to its potential.

Rome and Med Total War had predictable AI's for me but still two of the best PC games ever. Loved the Lord of the Rings MOD too!

Yeah not sure how you'd have battles that were in any way representative of WW2 and still be similar to other total war games.

Triforce Podcast

I downloaded fortnite when it first came out and thought it was ok - fell to the side when I picked up shadow of war, though, and eventually I deleted it for hdd space
Considering downloading it again with all the hype that's floating around

What's the podcast?...

Anyone else have Fornite fever? Still haven't won a bloody game because I suck at building when push comes toshove
Played for first time with friends last night... am awful but it's fun with friends

Heard a lot of good things about Hearts of Iron 4,
A podcast I listen to raves about it

HoI4 is a good game but it's still in its infancy. Other Paradox games of a longer standing are much more fleshed out, developed and overall better IMO. Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings 2 are other Paradox ***les that are way better than HoI4 - it just feels a bit empty and simplistic in comparison. It is a great game though, don't get me wrong. The military aspect of it is fantastic. But the time frame is quite short, and overall it's a bit one dimensional. However Paradox games tend to be a bit of a dud on release - it's only over time and with constant development that they get really good. EU4 started out meh but 4 years later it is a beast of a game. HoI4 will get better in time, it was only released 1-2 years ago.

If you're interested in Paradox games check out Europa Univeralis IV, Crusader Kings 2 or Victoria 2. EU4 has a focus on conquest, tech/ideas and trade. The military side of things is a bit simple but it doesn't really matter, the diplomacy/politics/trade/research side of things makes up for it. It also represents my favourite time period (late 1400s to 1700s). Crusader Kings 2 is also great but has a much more in-depth focus on family/dynasty/power struggles than nation-building like EU4. Some people rate it higher; I love both equally. Victoria 2 is commonly regarded as the best and most fleshed out, but also the most complicated. It's set in the 1800s, it felt a bit dated to me so I haven't given it an honest shot so I can't say much on it. I definitely highly recommend playing Paradox games if you like strategy though, regardless of which ***le.

To be honest the detail is why I've given it a bit of a berth.
I just find I don't have the attention span/patience for a full on strategy game these days - it's why I like the Total Ware series because it mixes RTS in there as well.
I've got Crusader Kings 2 but never fully gotten into it, I always find myself drifting away not long into it.

Kingdom Come: Deliverence

Enjoying this a lot. Thankfully I'm not really having any performance issues, game is smooth, albeit at a low 45-60fps.

Lots of quite innovative gameplay mechanics/functions, the quick travel is simple but effective, the lockpicking, fighting and pickpocketing mechanics are challenging, but reward skill nicely.
Although these mechanics are very, very difficult to begin with.
I completely understand the reasoning behind the save system they have implemented, but it does make the game prohibitively difficult - I was almost completely unwilling to risk trying to steal stuff/fight anyone before I added the unlimited save mod.
The environment design is one of the biggest standouts for me... it's some of the most impressive I've ever seen, it feels completely real in a way I've not experienced in any other game.

Really happy to hear that it's decent!
The reviews put me off a bit, but I was really looking forward to it.
Not gonna pick it up for a little while so hopefully some more of the bugs get patched out

Rotating between playing CS GO, Fortnite and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Also really been enjoying Kingdom Come Deliverance. It's got an authentic world that drives me to get immersed into it. I also really like the fact that you really feel like as you character gets better, it's doesn't feel like just your stats going up, but your own skill at whatever you are doing going up as well. I like the fact that there is limited handholding, like no recticle for any bow and arrows, limited pinpointing of quest locations on the map and finding it challenging to face more than two foes at once (which it should feel like in reality)

Definitely one of the best kickstarter games so far.

I also really like the fact that you really feel like as you character gets better, it's doesn't feel like just your stats going up, but your own skill at whatever you are doing going up as well.

Definitely - it feels like I'm actually getting more skillful at fighting, rather than my DPS has just gone up because I've found a really good sword. The same goes for the enemies, they are clearly more skilful, rather than just having higher stats.

There are a few irritating elements (like stat comparison of gear is a little less clear than it should be, things like that...) but it's very good at what it does.

Latest posts