• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Varsity Cup 2014 - To Experiment with 2 referees on field and new kit for props!

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
I was amazed that this hasn't been discussed yet on the forum.

And then on the weekend I attended a Rugby Function at my local high school where they discussed changes and projects for 2014. And then a member of the Tuks Varsity Cup coaching team gave us some info on the experiments they are going to test out next year.

Project 1: 2 on-field Referees

The two on-field referees will work together to ensure a smoother rugby product for all. The referees will operate in tandem during the match, with both able to roam the field as they please in order to police the off-side line, the breakdown, forward passes, etc.

They have been testing this out so far during the hostel leagues and certain friendlies between clubs. According to Andre Watson, Director of Referees in South Africa, this will be something to get used to, and they asked the viewing public to be patient during the Varsity Cup.

Project 2: Special kit for props

We all hate scrum collapses, and needless penalties for slipping the bind and all that nonsense.

Now a company has designed a kit which will be tested during the Varsity Cup that has an area on the jersey made specifically to assist in the opposing player to bind easier and to make the scrummaging part easier to referee.

here are some photos of the kit:

c0708241ad954f538704dd3e239462b4.jpg

wpid-duitser-watson450.jpeg

Not sure that two heads are better than one as the linesmen are supposed to do what you say as regards forward passes, binding etc now and fail but lets see.

As for the jerseys, great idea but can we see the props actually binding where the patches will be now instead, as is often the case, on th eother prop's arm which is, of cocurse, illegal!!

PS that is not where i would put my hands with Watson!!!

Latest posts