• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 day 22

What I would like is the end of Serge and probably Afflenlou too so that a new organization is put in place with good financial and rugby management devoid of ego!

Only on that basis would fusion work and would BAB have a decent and viable rugby club!

The very last thing I would want is a Blanco/Afflelou alliance!!

Afflelou is in minority in AB sharing (ok with around 40%) and not really a sponsor. There is one club of the BAB in élite, problem solved.

Afflelou is in minority in AB sharing (ok with around 40%) and not really a sponsor. There is one club of the BAB in élite, problem solved.

HaHaHa.....thought you wanted a viable,competitive club not two struggling for ever vying for sponsors and backers in the same small area!!! Blitzing Biarritz does not solve the inherent problems at Bayonne who may well join them (or be replaced by them!!!) in the Pro 2 next season!!!

1+1 doesn't always equal 2 or 3. Many sponsors have money in the two clubs, but That don't mean they will put the same amount of money in the monster born from fusionnkng AB and BO. At best we'll be at 18-20M€ budget, the same as if Bayonne weren't ****ed by Afflelou (retiring is last year partnership -2M€ thanks Alain) This year. I can bet if we stay in top14 (and god knows we deserve it!) the budget will be arround 18M with a main sponsor...

This was one of the closely fought weekend with 2 draws and a 1pt win. Next weekend we have Oyonnax (6) v Racing (4) and SF (3) v Toulouse (5). After their win at Clermont I can see Oyo winning at home v Racing and be on course for the play-offs...

- - - Updated - - -

1+1 doesn't always equal 2 or 3. Many sponsors have money in the two clubs, but That don't mean they will put the same amount of money in the monster born from fusionnkng AB and BO. At best we'll be at 18-20M€ budget, the same as if Bayonne weren't ****ed by Afflelou (retiring is last year partnership -2M€ thanks Alain) This year. I can bet if we stay in top14 (and god knows we deserve it!) the budget will be arround 18M with a main sponsor...

I'm not sure there is even any talk of both clubs merging is there?

Last edited:
i think it will rain cats and dogs before it happens, the only way maybe would be for Bayonne to drop into the Pro D2 and that is not going to happen this season well i don't think it will., and if both clubs could not get back into the Elite then a merger would be feasable in 2/3 seasons time

I'm not sure there is even any talk of both clubs merging is there?

The clubs through Budda and Specsavers held initial preliminary talks to see if they should have any talks last season.....,,..they fell out!!!!

Once more I find myself agreeing with Gaston.

There was last season, I'm not sure what happened to that, though.

Afflelou saw the awful financial situation of BOPB (whom without a subvention by the town hall, would be in third division this season...) hidden by Blanco.

Afflelou saw the awful financial situation of BOPB (whom without a subvention by the town hall, would be in third division this season...) hidden by Blanco.

To be fair to Budda, that was well documented and publicised long before the talks about talks were proposed never mind held..................if he is quoting that as the reason they fell out, I would not be an investor in his business!!!

Afflelou was about 90% of his time in London, Blanco and AA decided that by phone and Afflelou asked for a fianancial audit of the two club. When he saw the awful situation of the txurigorri bethroted he decided to retire Bayonne from the project and himself from Bayonne ( "If we don't merge, I leave" and trust me he was waiting for an openning for leaving tired of the incompétence of the head of AB. M'y gosh if Affelou had Merin as right hand we wouldn't in such a mess...)

Afflelou was about 90% of his time in London, Blanco and AA decided that by phone and Afflelou asked for a fianancial audit of the two club. When he saw the awful situation of the txurigorri bethroted he decided to retire Bayonne from the project and himself from Bayonne ( "If we don't merge, I leave" and trust me he was waiting for an openning for leaving tired of the incompétence of the head of AB. M'y gosh if Affelou had Merin as right hand we wouldn't in such a mess...)

As you say, he was looking at getting out and used the fusion idea to give him the necessary "reason".......reality is that everyone knew BO were (and are) a financial mess and AA just looked stupid!!!