• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 day 17

gaston le gaff

First XV
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Montpellier
Fixtures for this weekend, will players be rested or not, before the Scotland v France match the following week.

Du 4 au 6 Mars 2016 [TABLE="class: classic-table matchs-table hr-link-table"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH="class: sorting-desc"] Date[/TH]
[TH="class: text-right, colspan: 2"]Domicile[/TH]
[TH="class: text-center, colspan: 3"]Score[/TH]
[TH="colspan: 2"]Extérieur[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: before"]
[TD="class: cell-date"] 04/03[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] FCG
12[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-logo-a"]
Club-rugby-FC-grenoble-rugby.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-before-score"][/TD]
[TD="class: cell-score"] 20h45[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-after-score"][/TD]
[TD="class: cell-logo-b"]
Club-Rugby-Clermont-auvergne-ASM.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] ASM
45[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: cell-date"] 05/03[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] CABCL
21[/TD]
Club-Rugby-Brive-Correze-limousin.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-score"] 14h45[/TD]
s.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] ST
21[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] SP
19[/TD]
rugby-club-section-paloise-bearn-pyrenees.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-score"] 18h30[/TD]
LogParis-d1b84_0.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] SFP
12[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] R92
[/TD]
logo_racing92_2015.png
[/TD]
rugby-club-sporting-union-agen-lot-et-garonne.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] SUA
13[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] UBB
48[/TD]
Club-Rugby-Union-bordeaux-Belges_0.png
[/TD]
Club-Rugby-Oyonnax.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] USO
20[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] MHR
22[/TD]
Club-rugby-montpellier-herault.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-score"] 20h45[/TD]
Club-Rugby-castres-olympique.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] CO
19[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: cell-date"] 06/03[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] ASR
19[/TD]
Club-Rugby-Atlantique-stade-rochelais-la-rochelle_0.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-score"] 16h15[/TD]
logo_toulon_rct_2015_2016_3_etoiles_hd.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] RCT
14[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Hey Tony lets not commit too much now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nothing like "living on the edge"!!!!!!!!!!!!

well you know the answer. 99% will play. Guirado will be rested as announced by his club but that's it.

The 3 clubs that provide the rest of the players having lost last weekend will not rest their internationals. Not a chance. They have been very clear about it.

If I were president of the 3 clubs I would not agree to rest the players under the present circumstances.

However I'd be willing to meet with the union and LNR to discuss terms and find a solution in the players best interest.
But i don't see such move coming from FFR. They're doing nothing. It is their move though as they are officially in charge of les bleus. There is no dialogue with the clubs. They should be at least engaging with LNR to work out a deal for the last 2 games and prepare the ground for the June tour.

It's their move. If they don't take it. The game will be up for Noves. The clubs position will be more entrenched as we move closer to the playoffs.

Last edited:
well you know the answer. 99% will play. Guirado will be rested as announced by his club but that's it.

Already we have Lauret and Machenaud rested could there be more, maybe just maybe things could be on the change.

Already we have Lauret and Machenaud rested could there be more, maybe just maybe things could be on the change.

You might think that but I could not possibly comment !!!!!!!!

Teams for tomorrows Montpellier v Castres very strong team for us lets hope we can do the business

Le XV de départ de Montpellier
: Lucas ; Nagusa, Ebersohn, Steyn, Mogg ; (o) Catrakilis, (m) Paillaugue ; Liebenberg, Qera, Ouedraogo ; Privat, Willemse ; Jannie Du Plessis, B. Du Plessis, Nariashvili.
Les remplaçants: Ivaldi, Watremez, Jacques Du Plessis, Spies, White, Trinh-Duc, Fall, Mas.

Le XV de départ
: Palis ; Caminati, Combezou, Lamerat, Smith ; (o) Urdapilleta, (m) Kockott ; Bias, Faasalele, Caballero ; Gray, Samson ; Montes, Rallier, Lazar.
Les remplaçants: Mach, Tichit, Capo Ortega, Babillot, Seron, Dumora, Vialelle, Martinez.

Clermont go mad in Grenoble after 20 mins they were 0-21 up, slowed down a little in the 2nd half but played fantastic rugby the first 40 mins.
As per usual Grenoble starting to flag in the 2nd half of the season, and could be a possible relegation candidate.

I see the Montpellians are staying in the cafes and restaurants rather than supporting their club?!!

Gaston in charge of the cheerleaders? Bet they are cold in what they are not wearing!!

Wow! Second week of underestimating Castres!! MHR not been in this game for first 30 Minutes even though score only 6-10!!

From their game plan, I am very glad that White was not pinched by England and can understand why FTD is leaving! This is "game plan" rugby with no individual allowed to deviate from it.........not seen one constructive back move! Handling is pretty gash too which does not help.....

Last edited:
I see the Montpellians are staying in the cafes and restaurants rather than supporting their club?!! Gaston in charge of the cheerleaders? Bet they are cold in what they are not wearing!! Wow! Second week of underestimating Castres!! MHR not been in this game for first 30 Minutes even though score only 6-10!! From their game plan, I am very glad that White was not pinched by England and can understand why FTD is leaving! This is "game plan" rugby with no individual allowed to deviate from it.........not seen one constructive back move! Handling is pretty gash too which does not help.....

One should never judge a team on a single performance, a game plan with 4 victories away from home only bettered by Toulon and Bordeaux, and we are still in the top 6 with a game in hand over Toulon and Bordeaux. Saturday evening never brilliant for Montpellier but we still average over 11,000, underestimating Castres i don't think so, we give them tons of respect unlike Racing who lost last weekend, we did respect them and beat them, the score is always the most important until the match is over and won.
As far as the cheerleaders go cant stand this at rugby, and it will probably be the last time you see them Tony, they are history.
A game plan that could possibly win a first Bouclier for MONTPELLIER IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS. but after a brilliant weekend out till 4am with players after the game, and then rugby lunch Sun i finally hit base 20.00 Sunday evening, so a few early nights this week. Tough life this retirement larky!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Clermont needed a big game and they came up with it against Grenoble.
I was pleased to see the Pau beat SF, and who would have thought that the reigning champions would be 12th at this stage of the season?
I am now beginning to wonder if Toulouse will make the play offs. If they don't this season will be considered as a disaster having already had the humiliation of finishing last in their European pool.
As for Montpellier? They are blowing hot and cold, and I'd be amazed if they were to win the Brennus (sorry, gaston, but can you truly see them winning it?)
Agen and Oyonnax are surely doomed now to play in ProD2, but who will come up with Lyon?

One should never judge a team on a single performance, a game plan with 4 victories away from home only bettered by Toulon and Bordeaux, and we are still in the top 6 with a game in hand over Toulon and Bordeaux. Saturday evening never brilliant for Montpellier but we still average over 11,000, underestimating Castres i don't think so, we give them tons of respect unlike Racing who lost last weekend, we did respect them and beat them, the score is always the most important until the match is over and won.
As far as the cheerleaders go cant stand this at rugby, and it will probably be the last time you see them Tony, they are history.
A game plan that could possibly win a first Bouclier for MONTPELLIER IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS. but after a brilliant weekend out till 4am with players after the game, and then rugby lunch Sun i finally hit base 20.00 Sunday evening, so a few early nights this week. Tough life this retirement larky!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy it while you can old lad!!

And good to hear the cheerleaders are being despatched! If we can get rid of the music too then everyone can enjoy the rugby again to the full without the need to pander to the camp followers!!!

I am now beginning to wonder if Toulouse will make the play offs. If they don't this season will be considered as a disaster having already had the humiliation of finishing last in their European pool.

Toulouse may not make the playoffs but this won't be a disaster. Neither is the early exit from Europe as CCup not a priority this season.
They have made several choices re. focusing on youngsters and their development. Some of these youngsters particularly frontrowers (Marchand Baille Aldegheri) are on contracts running into 2019. So the club has invested heavily into them.

Also don't forget we have a new head coach + DOR in.

With a group of 10 youngsters in the squad we may not have an experienced enough team (yet) this season to win le Brennus - also we're up against more experienced sides in the top 5 with huge squads.

The answer lies with our recruitment policy. We either continue the difficult balancing act btw our academy players and imports.

Or we join the arms race and sign foreigners galore a la Toulon.

We have the money. We could easily outbid Toulon and Co. But that's not the club's policy. So far I don't see the club splashing out relative to our 35 M budget. If we went down that road it'd be the end of Stade Toulousain as I know it. And Guy Noves and his successors can go get their internationals elsewhere (problem is there will be few clubs left than can provide the next generations of French internationals like we did).
So far we've signed Richie Gray and Geraldhini an italian hooker - i don't think the latter is a great signing but we need experience in that position as Correy Flynn is leaving and the other 2 hookers (Marchand, Tolofua) are still in their early twenties but making a name for themselves, Marchand in particular.
They're not going to recruit a No8 to cover for Picamoles' departure. President said we'll use Galan and Maka. Strong vote of confidence for these 2 youngsters as opposed to buying a ready-made foreign fix. I heard that Louis has not ruled out a return to the club after his UK holidays. David Melé is leaving. Don't know yet if we'll recruit a 3rd SH.

So this is still a very low key recruitment for a club like ours especially when you look at the extended squads with big signings in the top 6. Even a mid table club like Bordeaux are recruiting big these days. And it's not over...

Agen and Oyonnax are surely doomed now to play in ProD2, but who will come up with Lyon?

My money, were I a gambler, would be on Bayonne to bounce back up to add to their neighbour's humiliation!!

Toulouse may not make the playoffs but this won't be a disaster. Neither is the early exit from Europe as CCup not a priority this season.
They have made several choices re. focusing on youngsters and their development. Some of these youngsters particularly frontrowers (Marchand Baille Aldegheri) are on contracts running into 2019. So the club has invested heavily into them.

Also don't forget we have a new head coach + DOR in.

With a group of 10 youngsters in the squad we may not have an experienced enough team (yet) this season to win le Brennus - also we're up against more experienced sides in the top 5 with huge squads.

The answer lies with our recruitment policy. We either continue the difficult balancing act btw our academy players and imports.

Or we join the arms race and sign foreigners galore a la Toulon.

We have the money. We could easily outbid Toulon and Co. But that's not the club's policy. So far I don't see the club splashing out relative to our 35 M budget. If we went down that road it'd be the end of Stade Toulousain as I know it. And Guy Noves and his successors can go get their internationals elsewhere (problem is there will be few clubs left than can provide the next generations of French internationals like we did).
So far we've signed Richie Gray and Geraldhini an italian hooker - i don't think the latter is a great signing but we need experience in that position as Correy Flynn is leaving and the other 2 hookers (Marchand, Tolofua) are still in their early twenties but making a name for themselves, Marchand in particular.
They're not going to recruit a No8 to cover for Picamoles' departure. President said we'll use Galan and Maka. Strong vote of confidence for these 2 youngsters as opposed to buying a ready-made foreign fix. I heard that Louis has not ruled out a return to the club after his UK holidays. David Melé is leaving. Don't know yet if we'll recruit a 3rd SH.

So this is still a very low key recruitment for a club like ours especially when you look at the extended squads with big signings in the top 6. Even a mid table club like Bordeaux are recruiting big these days. And it's not over...

I understand what you say but even with young developing players, expectation is high and while winning the Brennus improbable, a top 6 finish would be considered quite good, in my opinion.
Giraldhini is currently not even in the first three hookers in the Leicester squad - Youngs, Thacker and Bateman are before him in the pecking order so I was surprised that he's coming to Toulouse.

I understand what you say but even with young developing players, expectation is high and while winning the Brennus improbable, a top 6 finish would be considered quite good, in my opinion.
Giraldhini is currently not even in the first three hookers in the Leicester squad - Youngs, Thacker and Bateman are before him in the pecking order so I was surprised that he's coming to Toulouse.

This is what we're targeting realistically. The Top 6. It would be an improbable record to make the final with our squad's age profile. It would force the other clubs to question their recruitment if this happened.

Ghiraldhini is coming to shore up the relative inexperience we have at hooker. The 2 boys we have are promising but we can't survive with 2 hookers in their early 20s. Risk of injuries as well. I don't see him as first choice anyway.

Last edited:
It is a well known fact that within the clubs, Toulouse although they have a 35 m budget they are strapped for cash and in certain difficulties finacially, so it is not surprising that they are bringing on their youngsters which is excellent and great for the club but lets not hide behind the real truth, this may not be known generally but it certainly is at the interior of the TOP 14 clubs.

Boo...some very bad gossips you've been listening to Gaston - Faut pas écouter tous les bruits de chiottes :lol:

Latest posts