• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 Day 1

is he ? Forget all about deals and transfers easily...where's he going next ?

lol. Lots of guys are out playing for their countries, notably for Boks but Pumas too. Still a very nice team, I'm excited to see what they can do.

Toulon I am really excited for, they have begun to blood some players from their academy. Looking forward to watching them again this year, especially when the likes of Halfpenny becomes fit for them.

typically Toulon will be slow off the starting blocks. And they have many new signings to blood. And they'll pick up after the winter...

ahh, I dunno. They sure seemed mighty ready when they put 40 past Toulouse some weeks ago...their nucleus hasn't changed, while of course Giteau at 10 and Wilko retired is a huge change. Love them or hate them, but they really have blended international power along with local young talent very well, and each guy they pick seems to be a perfect fit. Sometimes it's a superstar, sometimes it's some player nobody knew about (Craig Burden, Menini...); but they always seem to know how to make their players play really well. Always seem to make their players very comfortable and very hungry.
There are the occasional Alex Palisson or Pierrick Gunther who just can't stand playing 1 hour per season so they just look elsewhere, and rightfully so, but the large majority of the guys they pick contribute excellently for the greater good, and tbh they haven't had that many superstars in their prime and they've won three ***les in 2 years.
I'm just elaborating on my respect for them, but basically: they're cohesive, intelligent, ultra-professional and will be ready.

they'll squeeze every penny out of O'Connor and send him back in a shoe box...

lol.

Toulon I am really excited for, they have begun to blood some players from their academy. Looking forward to watching them again this year, especially when the likes of Halfpenny becomes fit for them.

yup. Very happy to see Chiocci is a regular starter now, the young hooker Orioli is the trusted starting hooker tonight. Bruni plays alongside loose forward veterans Vosloo and Armitage.
And also, a majority of the starting squad is French, so that ought to come a few spirited minds down.

Allez Toulon !!! Now that I'm back in France, and in the Var department, I must support Toulon at least a little bit (not that it's hard to :p ).

(not a double post !)

Alright time now for Clermont to show their mettle this year. First return to the volcano since the last ***anic clash that saw them lose their invincibility...forever. :cryy:

10352747_884409684921165_1846571583393192509_n.jpg

Dat's one heck of a second row now, pure, pure fkn power. Let's see if French "espoir" Clément Ric has improved on the tighthead end, and it'll be nice to see Parra+Lopez come in, in the second act.

Toulon in financial trouble....................or so it would seem......staying at the Novotel down the road from the airport having driven over in their coach!!!!

At least when we play in the Basque country we use a plane for transport, mind you we will be only going once this season, as BO have gone walkabouts !!!!!!!!!!!!!

season starts in 45 min *****ES (respectfully....) !!!! :bowdown::cryy::cryy::bomb::bomb::crazy::dirol::shout:

Just realised there's no Halfpenny for Toulon or Habanna. What ridiculous options

I like the new Toulon jersey

C'mon Bayonne!!! :D

Bayonne's scrum has been an absolute mess.

Absolutely and you have to wonder why they sacked Tialata who wanted to stay but was forced out to Toulouse!!

Its is their achilles heel and will cost them dear PLUS they really do not have a cutting attack and will be low try scorers again this season which could see them being replaced by BO next season in the Top 14....................hope lives on!!!

At least when we play in the Basque country we use a plane for transport, mind you we will be only going once this season, as BO have gone walkabouts !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aww give up will ya.......I know we are not there now!!!

Not the greatest game but OK considering that Toulon seemed to have had a poor pre-season and Bayonne are pretty dreadful with loads of new players, new management (5th or 6th in 4 years?) and are already staring relegation in the face.......there was never really a chance of RCT losing but they are the best club team in the world at the moment and this was only their second team!!!

Tomorrow should be a cracker though..................

Toulon played within themselves and came away with the win. Bayonne mind were pretty poor.

That Montpellier backline looks dangerous. Really big fan of Fall, he will be playing for France In the world cup if he gets a decent run of games. Ranger/Nagusa/Fall is ****ing scary on the counter. Has the racing line up been named ?

eh, not too bad a match, especially for the first of the season. We got to see a new look Toulon dominate, although Bayonne are one of the smallest budget teams and even have sponsor issues apparently. It's impressive to see them start off exactly where they left off, and beating a team on the road with so many star players missing due to int'l duty or injury. Good to see them cohesive and able to score tries, even if they were slightly dubious.

For Bayonne, the usual. Marvin O'Connor shining with his Rugby brilliance, the sheer speed, the quasi-ubiquity. Charles Olivon, heralded as one of the new French forwards to look out for at the end of last year, showed a bit of what he can do today. Big, powerful, sound technically and still so young: 21yo, 2m tall, 108kg.

1 thing if we are honest though is this Toulon team aren't unbeatable. Like yes when fully fit their very tough but have flaws

1 thing if we are honest though is this Toulon team aren't unbeatable. Like yes when fully fit their very tough but have flaws

yes, that's what about 20 coaches said last year. :p

That Montpellier backline looks dangerous. Really big fan of Fall, he will be playing for France In the world cup if he gets a decent run of games. Ranger/Nagusa/Fall is ****ing scary on the counter. Has the racing line up been named ?

here ya go buddy:

10619903_10152352639821313_9159454845153291424_o.jpg

Big Fall fan too. I think he's been highly, highly underrated so far by everyone (coaches, fans, non-French observers...) and do hope to see him integrate France for the RWC. Well actually I wish to see Huget+Guitoune, but, Fall's on heck of a choice after those two.

yes, that's what about 20 coaches said last year. :p

here ya go buddy:

View attachment 3114

Big Fall fan too. I think he's been highly, highly underrated so far by everyone (coaches, fans, non-French observers...) and do hope to see him integrate France for the RWC. Well actually I wish to see Huget+Guitoune, but, Fall's on heck of a choice after those two.

But when Wilkinson left as a player. Something you can't replace left. In same way BOD for Ireland/Leinster. Yes they'll still be the kingpins and top of mountain but I'd fear them a bit less than I did last year.

That Toulon squad is ridiculous. It's like the owners have been playing 'rugby manager(?)' on a pc, and not realised they are actually spending money on players.

"It's ok lads, Wilkinson has gone!"
"Great! Who's playing 10?"
"Giteau"
"Oh ermmm...ok.....who's kicking?"
"Halfpenny"
"I'm going home"

Last edited:
That Toulon squad is ridiculous. It's like the owners have been playing 'rugby manager(?)' on a pc, and not realised they are actually spending money on players.

"It's ok lads, Wilkinson has gone!"
"Great! Who's playing 10?"
"Giteau"
"Oh ermmm...ok.....who's kicking?"
"Halfpenny"
"I'm going home"

Money talks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but do not have the biggest buget in the TOP 14, that honour goes to Toulouse, but are one of the teams that are practically auto financing themselves.

Toulon in financial trouble....................or so it would seem......staying at the Novotel down the road from the airport having driven over in their coach!!!!

Sorry Tony but you have been misled Toulon flew into Biarritz Fri lunchtime, and flew back after the game so they could have the whole weekend off. They stayed at the Novetel as its so handy for the airport. Info sometimes from ProD2 teams does not filter through as fast as it does in the TOP 14 (SORRY)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts