• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The hatred culture of British sports

DeriveSports

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of writing a new article and I was looking for some opinions on the issue of hatred or a fail culture within British sport.

I recently posted an article regarding footballer Harry Kane and I got the feeling a lot of people were to determined to see him fail. For me personally, that seems crazy as I want to see the best players playing as well as possible (unless it's against my team) but particularly because he's a young English player I don't understand the thought process in wanting to see him fail. It's the same with the England football team, I got the feeling last summer, that people wanted them to fail, just so they could tell their mates that they called it ages ago.

Having worked at Bristol Rugby on the bar, there always seemed a closer connection between players and fans, they'd have a drink together after the game. That obviously these days wouldn't happen in modern football, is this what is causing the hatred? The lack of connection between players and fans?

Does this issue crop up in rugby too? Are there fans hoping England will fail in the world cup?

Any opinions would be much appreciated, personally I think it's an interesting subject, I plan to find out whether it's the same abroad too.

Thanks

Fran

You get it over here too, mainly individual sportsmen like Conor McGregor and Rory Mcilroy currently. I find that the most vocal on social media like Facebook and Twitter tend to be the less intelligent. And while they are dying to see these guys win they like to have the fallback of I told you so when things don't go to plan. 90% of the demographic you're speaking of start their sentences with "I hope I'm wrong but..." Pretty much allowing them to be happy in victory or defeat and distancing themselves from getting to invested in a team.

That's my experience but I usually try and avoid these people so I could easily be talking to the outliers!

As an Australian i hope England fail in everything. From world cups to every day life. Nothing personal or vindictive just a fact.

Sorry, I do not really understand English.

You mean that the Englishman would be willing to England failed in competitive sports?

cmac95 - You've got a very valid point, the same kind of people who have no proof or stats to back up their opinions when they state a "fact".

General Tah - That's a natural reaction, I was in Australia a few years back when you battered us 5-0 in the Ashes. I do enjoy the rivalry there was some friendly abuse flying back and forth, but that's what you get when you wear an England shirt in Sydney. Are the Aussie's the same, where they want to see their own players fail?

Vladimir12 - Unfortunatley it seems like that, I don't understand why.

Depends on the player really
Quade cooper isnt popular and in other sports you have Mundine, Warner, kyrios etc who put the public on the wrong side.

Aussies seem to like the laid back, be good to your mother, love my country types like Steve Waugh, patrick rafter, john eales and less the I am's like michael clarke, Quade cooper etc

Don't really care to be honest, although Bristol is neither England or Wales on the scheme of things.

Andy Murray is a pratt for his arm band (Brit v Scott) debacle as was the Boks v the Lions "Justice for Bakkies" arm band.

How's the pirates of penzance?

6 for 1, half a dozen the other.

1. Football is a lot more tribal cuz of how bitter the rivalries can be
2. Fans probably more expect than want him to fail, because England fans are pessimistic

Depends on the player really
Quade cooper isnt popular and in other sports you have Mundine, Warner, kyrios etc who put the public on the wrong side.

Aussies seem to like the laid back, be good to your mother, love my country types like Steve Waugh, patrick rafter, john eales and less the I am's like michael clarke, Quade cooper etc

Oh owwwww.

To be honest General Tah, I think Ozzies seem to have this fallacy that other countries like you. Maybe it's your big MOUTH but then again maybe it's your lack of listening :p

Oh owwwww.

To be honest General Tah, I think Ozzies seem to have this fallacy that other countries like you. Maybe it's your big MOUTH but then again maybe it's your lack of listening [emoji14]
We love ourselves that much we dont care if no one else does [emoji6]

I read an interesting thing somewhere about Boston Red Sox. They went 86 years without winning the World Series. The fact Boston never won almost become an excuse for their every day life. The team itself was almost the city's punching bag and there was sort of a culture of defeatism amongst the fans. Now they have won 3 ***les in 12 years and of course most of their fans are thrilled. A lot of people now say that each season is less important though now. The weight has been lifted so to speak.

Football in England is very different to rugby. In rugby, the international teams come first, club second (usually). This means that if a good English player crops up at a rival club, even though a supporter might not necessarily want said players to lead the club to ***les, they want them to do well to give the national team more options. However, in football a lot more supporters (including me) put their club before their country, apart from once every couple of years when a World Cup or euros come along. So, consequently supporters don't want rival clubs' players to do well no matter what their nationality, eg for Harry Kane Arsenal supporters don't want to see him continuing to do well as that could lead to Spurs finishing above Arsenal.

Vladimir12 - Unfortunatley it seems like that, I don't understand why.

In Russia there are a number of people wishing to defeat Russia, not only in sports but also in war with any enemy.

They are always against Russia and its people.

But I think this is typical not only for Russia, these people are found in every society.

Thomas H. Etzold and John Lewis Gaddis, eds.,
Containment: Documents on American Policy and Strategy,
1945-1950
NSC 20/1 (pages 173-203)

http://www.sakva.ru/Nick/NSC_20_1.html

http://www.sakva.ru/Nick/NSC_20_1.zip

This portion of the document:

"Another portion represents something in the nature of a natural mutation of species. It derives from a congenital fifth-columnism with which a certain small percentage of people in every community appear to be affected, and which distinguishes itself by a negative attitude toward the native society and a readiness to follow any outside force which opposes it. This element will always be present in any society for unscrupulous outsiders to work on; and the only protection against its dangerous misuse will be the absence of the will on the part of great-power regimes to exploit this unhappy margin of human nature".

Maybe it will help you in research?:cool:

I think Britain as a culture has changed so much in the last time 10+ years, diverse ethnicity, human rights changes (good and bad), the media feed off all of this and paint us a picture off insecurity within ourselves. I don't think you can single this to one particular sport or another, I think people as a whole feel slightly disconnected with Britain, what does in mean to be British? Or more importantly how should it feel? I think we all subconsciously feel a false sense of security in our selves because of the of what the media drive into us, and we then imprint that onto the things enjoy but can't control for example Harry Kane.

It is deep, the media is the catalyst, and have most certainly driven a wedge between fans and sporting athletes in football and other sports.. Teams for example like Bristol have broken the mould and shown that there can be a another way..

I hate to say it but watch Russell Brands Trew News on YouTube, he is bit of a plonker but has a very diverse view on the media and government, that you can pick and choose what you want to accept..

Last edited:

Latest posts