• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Fundemental Flaws of 08 and what REALLY needs changing

J

JohnBE

there have been wish lists for 09/10 rugby everrywhere...

but I think it's a good idea to take a step out.. forget about all the extras.. lets just focus on the very basics

Here are a few things I can think of

1. THE RUCK!.. my lord the rucking system is shocking, the worst part of the game by far..
an opposition player can run deep into your half.. and have no backup..and you could have five players who no matter what you do, stand there.. and the other team can come along and get back possession.. a complete definite that needs sorting

2. The Defense and tackling.. if the opposition are on your line.. say 5 metres away..and if they go into the try scoring animation you can't stop them
and when you're on the opposition line you can easily get in

3.. this is one simple..make the god damn game more difficult

any other thoughts?.. and honestly I don't think rosters or kits are all that important.. they're to worry about when a good game engine is made

same as multiplayer online modes

They biggest problem in the game is that you cant beat the opposition with the ball, the AI is programmed to follow the ball unless its in a ruck which means that even if you have a 3 on 2 over lap the AI will drift with the ball whens its passed, its just head wrecking. Also you confined to running diagonally all the time if you make a break the AI will close you down from one side specifically forcing you to run closer to the touch line. The lack of ability to run lines of a pass is frustrating and is incredibly hard to do

well you can beat the opposition with the ball.. I play as portugal against a dream 15 Barbarians..and don't kick at all.. I vary it sometimes only drop goals sometimes only tries.. the way to win at the game is crash ball..and then out the wings basically....

But the problem with the game is it's far to easy

JohnBE lets just narrow your 3 points and get to the one main one.

THE RUCK!

The biggest thing that gets me is when the ref doesn't play advantage. My player will get a breakaway which would lead to a try only to get brought back because the ref calls it up straight away instead of playing advantage.

Drop kicks suck I don't even bother with them take it back to the old system it was alot better.

Most of the important things are to do with gameplay like JohnBE said the the rosters and kits aren't that important and I think most people would agree the main thing is the gameplay.

You could go on forever with complaints about the gaming engine. I just think the game was made with out enough research. A good example of this is a penalty being awarded for a lineout throw not being straight when in reality it should be the choice of another lineout or a scrum.

Other things that really get me down are the fact that you are unable to pick and drive for the ruck using forwards (unless the scrumhalf is at the bottom of the ruck and even then its only for one phase)

There is also no room for a short kicking game. You can’t chip and chase and you have to be at least 30 meters away from the defender to grubber past him other wise it just gets called a knock on.

The no advantage rule really annoys me too. Not only do you get called back when you make a break advantage is sometimes called when none has been gained like a kick going out on the full or a missed shot at a drop goal.

I still don't understand how they can have the rules right in one game, then wrong in another.

I swear they keep alternating the 180 degree scrum rule each game.

Also, having no advantage after a player gets tackled high is just ridiculous. Especially when I've got a player on his way over the line.

I think EA Rugby is a good game.. it's just the engine is not realistic enough, and there is not enough randomness or variety. I think EA rugby in general is just aimed at the casual fan rather than anyone who actually knows anything about the game in-depth, otherwise they would have tried a bit harder to get more realism.

You can forgive some things.. but EA Rugby appears to be based upon someone's view from the stands, rather than a player or referee's view. In other words, as long as it looks like rugby, that's ok.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Jan 8 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think EA Rugby is a good game.. it's just the engine is not realistic enough, and there is not enough randomness or variety. I think EA rugby in general is just aimed at the casual fan rather than anyone who actually knows anything about the game in-depth, otherwise they would have tried a bit harder to get more realism.

You can forgive some things.. but EA Rugby appears to be based upon someone's view from the stands, rather than a player or referee's view. In other words, as long as it looks like rugby, that's ok.[/b]

which is why I think the idea that I was talking about in the other thread would be interesting.. from a player's view

The thing is Rugby is much more complicated than football.

I don't think they will get it much better than what it is (gameplay) the rules, rucking, advantage etc. is another story.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (neonols @ Jan 15 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The thing is Rugby is much more complicated than football.

I don't think they will get it much better than what it is (gameplay) the rules, rucking, advantage etc. is another story.[/b]

Not too sure about that, EA HAS gotten 99% of the rules right its just the engine is flawed and the AI is poor. I mean if they first widened the pitch for a start then altered the AI where a player is rated a certain % for intelligence in relation to following a passed ball. So eg a prop would have a intelligence rating of say 25% and so he has that amount of rate to follow a ball thats being passed by the opposition. This would finally create some nice attacking capabilities. Add a simple command to make the scrum half have quick ball and you have a good game just not a very challenging one.

Probably the biggest problem any developer will have is making AI that's hard enough to win a match and actually push a player to his limits. Every try iv ever conceded to the AI was a result of me being off with one my tackles or them doing the pass pass pass dive glitch.

They certainly need to up the general difficulty level and sort out issues like the game crashing on the ps2 when there's an injury....
For me 08 was a huge disappointment because with 06 I really thought EA were starting to get there.

The thing that really gets me is the drop goals, easy in practice but alot harder during a game, I think they should go back to the system they used in Rugby 06, I own both copies of 06 and 08 and 06's drop kick controls were much better

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Jan 16 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Jan 8 2009, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JohnBE lets just narrow your 3 points and get to the one main one.

THE RUCK![/b]

Have you gotten any closer to figuring out how it works in 06?.
[/b][/quote]
Yes....it often follows these rules. When it comes to trying a turnover.

Place of tackle in relation to support for both teams
Defensive play chosen before tackle and during ruck
Numbers in the ruck
Players attributes entering the ruck
Length of time not releasing the ball carrier

The secret is to master these variables and find out what works and when it works for any given situation.

I play the game and and find it quite challenging at times.. not sure if it's my roster update, but then again i do suicide kicks for touch, ping-pong kicking, try drops and vary my tactics insanely so make it as realistic as possible when i play as England LMAO

I mainly find i concede when i dive tackle and miss or that glitch thing when it seems like Peter Stringer can smash Ma'a Nonu on a crashball. Rugby 06 is better IMHO, and that's why i will probably start modding that. Really if there is no RWC year, the game is better. The fact that you can mod your own tours into the game makes it even better.

The only issue i have with 06 is the lack of stadiums, 08's cameras and options, a couple less teams and that's it really.

Shouldn't drop goals be easy to fix? It's just scripting after all, just switch the text line with the same thing for kicking for touch :p

On the flip side, the game is so easy it's not funny, I still never get drop goals, Rucks suck I have no idea whats going on half the time, The scrums are annoying they show it from side on which means you can't actually tell whats going on, they should go from an above perspective the moment the ball is hooked.

Latest posts