• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Steve Borthwick -- RFU think they can Walk all over another Championship club.

Borthwick quitting is a private matter between him and Bristol. Why he is quitting is irrelevant. It may be bad etiquette on both SB and the RFU's part but this is how it is done.

The Stormers understood this but Bristol want paying and this(the media) is their tactic of getting as much compensation as possible.

Ennit

I can see why Bristol fans would be annoyed, but the RFU aren't some big evil in this. If anything Borthwick is the bad guy was not wanting to see his contract out.
VC will take any opportunity he can to moan about the English so pay no mind to him.

********, I have a pop at the WRU on a regular basis and feel for Bristol RFC and their supporters, they are trying to build a team to not just survive in the EPL but to challenge for honours and good luck to them.
I have a lot of admiration for the way Exeter Chiefs have done things and if Bristol follow the same path they will be successful, however what hurts a club is when players and coaches who are part of 'the plan' leave for reasons beyond the clubs control.

Bristol aren't following Exeter at all, they're trying to buy their way back into the prem, stacking their side with aging internationals, and repeatedly failing.

Bristol aren't following Exeter at all, they're trying to buy their way back into the prem, stacking their side with aging internationals, and repeatedly failing.

+1. It's approaching Einstein's definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Exeter's success on the other hand is on the back of carefully managed organic growth, coupled with some good fortune and a generous sponsor.

This and how can Bristol build a team to survive in the EPL if they haven't even been in the EPL for ages.

According to the Evening Standard, Bristol are being... awkward about this (http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rug...l-over-borthwick-compensation-a3138581.html):

While the RFU are being portrayed as having stumbled naively into this potentially damaging row, they claim they have been negotiating with Bristol "for weeks" in a bid to agree terms. The Union have been prepared to pay a substantial six-figure sum to secure Borthwick, whose recently-signed 18-month deal with the Championship club is worth less than £250,000, even offering a job-share solution until the end of the season.
The RFU are understood to have offered north of £600,000 in compensation, while Bristol have countered that the richest Union in the world should be offering "millions" in compensation in case they do not get promotion to the Aviva Premiership without Borthwick coaching the forwards

This and how can Bristol build a team to survive in the EPL if they haven't even been in the EPL for ages.

Exactly. The only way I can see to get promoted and stay up is to win The Championship with an AP standard side, then strengthen it just in case.

Given how late in the year the play offs finish, recruiting an AP strength squad at such a late juncture is an almost impossible task, as it turning a bunch of Barbarians into a team in a few months.

Dunno if I trust the evening standard but that turn of events isn't surprising. I mean Eddie got leaked but I'll be amazed if they didn't agree terms in both situations before the formal announcement.

"The RFU are understood to have offered north of £600,000 in compensation, while Bristol have countered that the richest Union in the world should be offering "millions" in compensation in case they do not get promotion to the Aviva Premiership without Borthwick coaching the forwards"

Jesus flipping Christ!

Bristol can hold Borthwick to his contract, but they cannot force him to work. He could simply not turn up to training, or turn up and do nothing. If Borthwick refuses to be good at this job, what options do Bristol have? Fire him and lose him on a free? Either Bristol can sell him whilst his value is at its highest, or wait for him to force the move when he isn't as marketable, doing damage to Bristol's campaign in the process. (Bristol will then blame the RFU, but it will be Bristol's doing by trying to keep someone in a job they do not want.) And on the off-chance they actually pull off keeping the RFU away, the good will between Bristol and Borthwick is now broken. Working relationships won't be great; it's an appointment doomed to fail.

If it's true that the RFU are already offering more than double the value of the contract for Borthwick, it is fairly scummy for Bristol to not let him go. At least IMO.

Bristol's best bet is to take the money and recruit (Rowntree?) fast. The longer this drags, the worse it will be for everyone.

Last edited:
<style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }</style>
Bristol's best bet is to take the money and recruit (Rowntree?) fast. The longer this drags, the worse it will be for everyone.

This. Though who would sign a long-term coaching contract with Bristol after this? It really is a massive gamble for them to battle so hard for what is a pittance to their owner.

I said IF they follow Exeter's example they will be successful, I realise as you say they are filling some positions with ageing internationals, let's wait and see if they get promoted and who they recruit going forward. One thing is definite and that is that a strong Bristol would add to the EPL, Bristol are well supported and are a traditional rugby City.

Some of the rubbish on here .
Ageing squad, Blazing rows, £600.00 plus, 18 month contract etc. Some of you really need to get your facts right before posting.
There was not a blazing row.
Two year contract and signed well before the word cup even started though he didn’t actually start work with Bristol until after it had finished.
Bristol have a fairly young squad many of whom are local lads. YES there are current internationals within it like Jack Lam, David lemi etc. but some are just embarking on their international careers like Mathew Morgan and yes we have ex internationals too like Henson etc. The simple fact is the age of our squad was comparable to Worcester’s last season.
It’s not a case of forcing Steve to stay. Most of us wish him every success in what will be his new job. It’s more about the bullying tactics and underhanded way the RFU have dealt with this. Where do you think all this bull comes from?? Who releases little comments hoping to undermine Bristol’s position and make them look the villans?? Is it the RFU? No they are whiter than white aren’t they?? The agent’s maybe? No they just wouldn’t would they? Yea right. Steve Borthwick himself?? Well actually no, I don’t blame Steve for any of this, as yet!
Its my understanding that Bristol have remained very dignified throughout, releasing just two statements the first being weeks ago saying they hadn’t been approached by the RFU and as far as they were concerned Steve was still contracted to the club. True statement at that stage. The second came only AFTER the RFU tried to bully the club by announcing Steve’s appointment. But even then though terse saying very little of note apart from the club hadn’t accepted his resignation and would pursue things further.
£600.000 Wasn’t it £60,000,000 ??

As long as the clubs continue to have this ridiculous amount of power then English International rugby will remain chained to the inability to get out of their pool.
Look at the models elsewhere if you want International success.
Or, stay in the club first country second rut and see the massive potential frittered away year after year.

God help us if Borthwick and Jones bring the clubs to heel.
England will be unstoppable.

As long as the clubs continue to have this ridiculous amount of power then English International rugby will remain chained to the inability to get out of their pool.
Look at the models elsewhere if you want International success.
Or, stay in the club first country second rut and see the massive potential frittered away year after year.

God help us if Borthwick and Jones bring the clubs to heel.
England will be unstoppable.

Certainly one point of view - give you that!

Bit like when asking for directions and being told "well I wouldn't start from here"!!

Ennit

I can see why Bristol fans would be annoyed, but the RFU aren't some big evil in this. If anything Borthwick is the bad guy was not wanting to see his contract out.
VC will take any opportunity he can to moan about the English so pay no mind to him.

The RFU announced his appointment before completing negotiations with Bristol. They only have themselves to blame if Bristol take the hump at that; at the very least, the RFU have been highly unprofessional.

I doubt this is about money any more. Lansdowne and Bristol don't need money. It's clearly about the principle. Bristol see the RFU as taking the **** and trying to force their hand and now want a pound of flesh as a result. Not sure I'd argue with that.

As for how Bristol will recruit coaches after this... by offering them lots of money and the chance to be on the ground floor of a resurgent force in club rugby. It's a pretty attractive offer, really. There's not such a huge market for rugby coaches that everyone can afford to turn that down just in case someone else wants them and refuses to go through the correct channels.

While I'm all for the RFU exerting control over the clubs to the betterment of the national team, the reality is the clubs have rights and if the RFU doesn't respect them, I'm of limited sympathy. And they quite clearly haven't. We should be thanking our collective lucky stars that Saints haven't reacted just as poorly to Jones arranging a meeting with King without consulting the club first.

I wish people wouldn't get all high and mighty about things they know nothing about.

Does the rfu have to agree the payment before announcing Borthwick? No, not legally. Have the rfu done anything wrong? No not legally.

If you don't understand contract law, shut the **** up

Latest posts