• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Stade Francais v. Argentina

BZHopenside

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Nantes
Stade wins 25-21 in Buenos Aires. Did Stade finally find some sort of away form, or is Argentina just totally screwed for the 4 Nations?

The Argentine version of scrum.com said they both played bad, and Parisse agreed when asked by rugbyrama. However, Argentina made something like 15 substitutions, and were leading while they were playing with their top team. Argentina's lack of depth is not really a secret.

Argentina were experimenting big time during the game, really playing what is not their usual style trying to go out wide lots of flat passes. It's not a good sign for them this game but I think it's a risk to take too much out of the result.

Last edited by a moderator:
They had a huge crowd for this kind of match in Argentina. I know that is their favorite club, though. I'm happy for Stade Francais myself, one of the only two French clubs I follow, good for them. Will Stade keep LaValla in the starting xv as flanker during the Top 14, or is that just for the tour here? I had been used to him coming in 50 or 60 minutes in-ish as a lock. But not complaining about that! I watched it in Espanol, so I did not catch much the announcers said, but it was fun to watch.

Last edited:
No surprise that this has been brushed aside by most fans, they seem to everyones 2nd team for some reason.

If this was the Aussies or the Boks, there would be chaos on forums!

Last edited:
No surprise that this has been brushed aside by most fans, they seem to everyones 2nd team for some reason.

Do you have anything constructive to say about why you think Argentina are going to do so poorly, so far you've made like three to four posts that go after people who think they might actually be competitive in some of thier games without mentioning a single thing about the Argentine team's abilities.

One was just a "I beg to differ" comment which wasn't the end of the world, but than the second one was "Must be cause your a kiwi" and now it's "Because they seem to be everyone's favourite team". Most of the comments here seem to say that this isn't a good sign for Argentina but we have rightfully pointed out, that this was an extremely experimental Pumas outing. Also that their top players were winning the game until they got pulled. Besides Stade are a great side who could possibly beat Oz and push the Boks to a close match.

I'm not so sure. SA have lost to a couple of Euro clubs in recent years and while most feel it's unacceptable there wasn't all that much of a public outcry. I mean the little people did write about it were more along the lines of that players should be picked on merit rather than how awful the Boks B team played.

Do you have anything constructive to say about why you think Argentina are going to do so poorly, so far you've made like three to four posts that go after people who think they might actually be competitive in some of thier games without mentioning a single thing about the Argentine team's abilities.

One was just a "I beg to differ" comment which wasn't the end of the world, but than the second one was "Must be cause your a kiwi" and now it's "Because they seem to be everyone's favourite team". Most of the comments here seem to say that this isn't a good sign for Argentina but we have rightfully pointed out, that this was an extremely experimental Pumas outing. Also that their top players were winning the game until they got pulled. Besides Stade are a great side who could possibly beat Oz and push the Boks to a close match.

I don't think they will do poorly, i've never said that. What makes you so confident they'll beat the Boks and have a go at OZ? Scotland have had a pretty easy time over there... France have struggled but they don't take Summer tours seriously most of the time, unless it's agains NZ understandably.
You're getting a bit emotional. I don't think they are going to do great either because i don't rate them as a team! Simple!
I'm just being a realist. They have a solid pack but that's about it, compared to SA, AUS and NZ their backs are awful.

"Stade are a great side who could possibly beat OZ and push Boks"... Nah Aus and Boks only struggle against really top club opposition like Munster and Leicester, when they played Gloucester and Cardiff they easily beat them (i put Stade in the same league). Besides that Stade XV wasn't their first choice either.

Extremely experimental Pumas outing?
Not really...

1 Rodrigo Roncero (unattached)
2 Agustín Creevy (Montpellier, France)
3 Juan Figallo (Montpellier, France)
4 Manuel Carizza (Biarritz, France)
5 Patricio Albacete (Toulouse, France)
6 Julio Farías Cabello (Los Pampas XV)
7 Tomás Leonardi (Los Pampas XV)
8 Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe (Toulon, France)
9 Nicolás Vergallo (Toulouse, France)
10 Juan Martín Hernández (Racing Métro, France)
11 Horacio Agulla (Bath, England)
12 Santiago Fernández (Montpellier, France)
13 Marcelo Bosch (Biarritz, France)
14 Gonzalo Camacho (Exeter, England)
15 Lucas González Amorosino (Montpellier, France)

That almost looks like a first XV to me

Last edited:
I still think that despite this result, Argentina can pull off a shocker at home, my bet being against the Wallabies (I don't care that the Scotland game was in the pouring rain. Rugby is made for that type of weather).
What really struck me about the result was Stade winning somewhere that wasn't Paris.

Last edited:
I don't think they will do poorly, i've never said that. What makes you so confident they'll beat the Boks and have a go at OZ? Scotland have had a pretty easy time over there... France have struggled but they don't take Summer tours seriously most of the time, unless it's agains NZ understandably.
You're getting a bit emotional. I don't think they are going to do great either because i don't rate them as a team! Simple!
I'm just being a realist. They have a solid pack but that's about it, compared to SA, AUS and NZ their backs are awful.

"Stade are a great side who could possibly beat OZ and push Boks"... Nah Aus and Boks only struggle against really top club opposition like Munster and Leicester, when they played Gloucester and Cardiff they easily beat them (i put Stade in the same league). Besides that Stade XV wasn't their first choice either.

Not really...

I've never said they will beat SA, I've stated that I think they can give them a running in Mendoza. The starters as you correctly stated did look like the first XV however as ZeFrenchy stated they got pulled off very early in the game and were indeed winning when they were replaced. I watched large stretches of the game and the Pumas were employing tactics that I don't think we will see from them when the competition starts.

Australia has regularly lost to sides that don't have a good backline(Scotland) and with Morne at #10 for South Africa, I'm not sure how effective they will be at unleashing what is a fairly talented backline. Combined with a passionate home support and tactics that can frequently frustrate even teams like NZ(see 1st half of the RWC game) I think they have a chance to win at home vs. Australia an South Africa.

The part I bolded is extrmely hypocritical of you to say since you only used emotional arguments up until now when I finally asked you what your opinions on the Argentine squad were. You make a fairly good case as to why you think they'll struggle and you could very well be correct, I just have no idea why you didn't put a post in like this right away instead of making snide remarks about everyone who had a different opinion than yours.

Because i couldn't be bothered to? and that's also how i felt.

Last edited:
Despite the result, Argentina still played some damn sexual rugby from looking at that highlights video... Nice to see Hernandez sparkling with that pass for the first try, second came from one hell of a good running angle too! Pity that one towards the start got disallowed too, would've been a superb try!

Not really...

Manuel Carizza is not a Biarritz player any more....................................

Pumas side announced for the second game this Friday:

EL EQUIPO: 1- Rodrigo Roncero, 2- Agustín Creevy, 3- Juan Figallo; 4- Manuel Carizza, 5- Patricio Albacete; 6- Julio Farías Cabello, 7- Ãlvaro Galindo, 8- Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe (c); 9- Nicolás Vergallo, 10- Juan Martín Hernández; 11- Horacio Agulla, 12- Martín Rodríguez, 13- Marcelo Bosch, 14- Gonzalo Camacho; 15- Lucas González Amorosino.
Suplentes: Eusebio Guiñazú, Marcos Ayerza, Juan Pablo Orlandi, Tomás Leonardi, Martín Landajo, Nicolás Sánchez, Juan Imhoff, Leonardo Senatore, Tomás Vallejos, Santiago Fernández y Martín Bustos Moyano.

21-17 to the Pumas, Imhoff, Carizza & Agulla scoring for Argentina and Paul Williams getting one back for Stade. Apparently Hernandez had a good game at 10, which is great news ahead of the Springboks next week.

Nice tries, especially SF's first and Argentina's second, but the second from SF was some soft defending from Argentina. Highlights here:
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/videohub/video/clipDeportes?id=1584468&cc=7586

Argentina hooker Agustín Creevy came out injured and will miss the first two games of TRC. Sensible loss, as Argentina only have the very average Guiñazú and the very unexperienced amateur player Postiglioni.

Last edited:

Latest posts