• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spectators lose interest in Super Rugby

I didn't think about the playing in bigger stadiums preparing them for internationals.

There are ways to get NZ players experience against international players within the ITM cup though, right now with Super Rugby you have about 150 NZ guys getting top league experience. No matter if the reshuffled ITM cup had 7 teams in two divisions, 10 teams in the top, or all 14 playing in the top, all you would have to do is make sure that 200+ slots are reserved for New Zealanders and allow foreigners to take up the others improving the quality of the league. Of course this would take away some of the NZ development but you could find other ways for younger NZ guys to get competitive games.

There are two simple factors as to why players are leaving SA. The first and obvious one is money, not only to they get paid more overseas, but our currency has depreciated so much that the amounts being earned overseas are ridiculous. This site sums it up well though:
http://businesstech.co.za/news/weal...t-south-africas-best-paid-rugby-player-earns/
but to summarise:
SA super rugby player (not a bok) pay per year: R2 000 000 (this is an established player who plays almost all matches, like Kolbe or Groom)
Same player playing in Europe: R5 000 000

and if you have even more limited experience, the appeal is even higher:
limited Super Rugby experience: R700 000 max
Same player in Europe: R2 500 000 max

So there's that, and the main incentive holding SA players back is wanting to play for the Boks. But with all the talks of quotas in SA rugby I think a lot of white players are thinking they don't stand a chance of making it into the bok team anymore. That means there really isn't much of an incentive to stay and so once they receive an offer high enough they go. That's the summarized version of the two effects I see, I'm sure Heineken and Stormer will expand on what they think needs expanding on.

I think South Africans(white ones) in general are looking to head overseas, most people can see where the future of SA is heading so having a escape plan is in the back of everyones mind.

It's quite funny to see how everyone is pointing the finger to South Africa, when it was SA that was the main financial contributor to this tournament for the last decade. Now that SA is in financial difficulty, they are getting the main blame for everything wrong with Super Rugby? That's a bit short sighted.

Let's break it down.

The Fans:
The fans in stadiums in South Africa are primarily middle class to upper class white South Africans. I am one of them. I make it a rule to attend at least one Super Rugby match a year, and if possible, one Springbok game a year. And I have done that continuously since 2004. Even though I live 300+km away from the nearest stadium where Super Rugby is being played (Loftus Versfeld).

Money is here one of the main reasons the numbers have dropped. For me to drive from my house to Loftus will cost me at least a R800.00 in fuel, R200.00 in toll fees and then around R200.00 for my ticket. That is already R1200.00 just to watch the match and then I'll have to double the fuel and toll costs as I have to drive back home, so in total that will be R2400.00. That is about 220 Aus $ / 230 NZ$ / 130 Pounds. It's becoming way too expensive to go to the stadium, so most people stay at home.

Political Situation:
Not just Quotas are currently the issue, but also the ever-growing violent protests by residents, our National Broadcaster's media censorship and the complete incompetence by our Government, and especially our President.

The Quota situation, is perhaps only this year playing a main role as to why people are losing interest, as it is the first year where there are actual signs that certain Black players of a lower quality is getting selected ahead of more talented White/Coloured players, and here I'm not just talking about the Springboks.

The Players:
We are now used to the mass exodus that happens in SA, so we can't really be surprized when we see the list of players going abroad. In some cases, there is a sign of relief that certain players will be leaving, like in the Bulls' case with getting rid of Werner Kruger and Dean Greyling. It's a way to get rid of the dead weight, and as @saulan has already shown, they get a lot more money abroad. And why wouldn't they? They are proffesionals, they use rugby to make a living, and ensure they have a good life by the time they aren't able to play rugby anymore. Take a guy like Werner Swanepoel as an example. The former Springbok went abroad when he was around 31 years old, got paid in Pounds while playing in England, and then after he finished his playing career in the UK, returned to SA. The better currency rate meant that he came back a millionaire, used that money into some decent investments and is now a proud owner of a very successful franchise in SA.

How do we get everything back to the way it was? I don't think it's going to be that easy.
Firstly, we must get rid of the conference system, as has been mentioned in so many posts and threads on the Forum. Go back to the old recipe. It worked and didn't need to be changed!!
Secondly, SARU will have to address this Quota system and stop being bullied by our government. Hopefully after the August 3 elections, we might see some changes happening now that the people are physically showing their frustration with the ruling party. That, along with organizations like Afriforum and Solidariteit trying to apply to WR, the International Sports Court and even the UN, this problem might be a thing of the past very soon.
Third, I agree that the NZ central contract system is a great idea, and that SARU should adopt the same system, but that will only work if the players gets a better incentive. Perhaps if SARU and Supersport can make some sort of deal to get more from the broadcasting funds, to pay the players some sort of kick-back, sponsorship payment.

Last edited by a moderator:
w
Toulon may have all star talent on their team but they are not an all star team, they are an actual club with over a 100 years of history and regional pride, you don't get that in Super Rugby

I am pretty confident to say that my vision of rugby's future will be more accurate than yours in 10 years

It seems you did not properly do your research about Southern Hemisphere rugby. I dont know about the Aussie sides but the South African and New Zealand clubs have been around for very long. Our domestic rugby competition the Currie cup dates back to 1891.
Super rugby teams like the Stormers, Bulls, and Sharks is the same unions as their currie cup counterparts they just change names for super rugby because they had players coming in from other clubs in their region. Nowadays they contract most of the players themselves. The point im trying to get through is that although the teams have different names for Currie cup and super rugby they are the same side. Those that dont get selected from the springboks play in both competitions.
Now your quote "they are an actual club with over a 100 years of history and regional pride, you don't get that in Super Rugby". Well let me show you when these clubs were created. (Names has had slight variations through the years).

The Bulls was founded in 1938 after the transvaal union spilt up. ( Basically the lions and bulls splitting)
The sharks was founded in 1890
The Stormers (wp) was founded in 1883

These among others have years and years of history where serious regional rivalries built up.
If you are referring to the intercontinental rivalries in super rugby not being that old than thats where it gets tricky. Yes super rugby was only created in the 1990s so there can be a case made that the rivalries are too new to compare to some other teams. The fact is though that SANZAR nations have a very long history. Before the game became professional we were big rivals fighting for the rights to be called the best in the world. All Black Springbok matches date back to 1921. And the super rugby franchises is an extension of the national teams and we still want to beat each other at franchise level. So the competition seems new but there is lots of history between the teams competing. If anything the traditions and rivalries in the top 14 has deteriorated because they lure players from around the world with their money. These players have a job to do for their team but they did not grow up supporting that team. Thats the big differrence between the top 14 and Super rugby.

Besides everyone is complaining about the quality of Super rugby but if our top 8 joined the top 14 we would not only win it but occupy all the playoff places. New Zealand is currently dominating but that does not mean the rest are bad. You guys saw what happened when the Sharks toured France and played Toulon and Toulouse. Those french sides were already in their seasons and we were just warming up.

Once Super rugby settles with its amount of teams it will slowly become even more competitive. When the Japanese public catches on to it we will be able to produce enough TV revenue to keep all our players. The European market is very strong but we have seen in football what kind of money these Asian sides are producing and its startling.

Every professional sports league here in the USA has weak and strong conferences in cycles, without killing the league. Take the NFL where for a decade the AFC might dominate and for another the NFC might dominate. The conferences are regional, only to be practical due to time zone differences. None of the fans seem to care if the players are locals, although it makes a nice story when it happens that a star is playing for his home city. Expansion weakens competition for a few years, but it works because the fans in the new city are excited to have a franchise. The thing that keeps it going strong is heavy marketing by the league and lots of money from TV. The fans show up at the stadiums because it's an exciting experience and because it is marketed so well. The corporations buying seats to entertain clients fills the skyboxes but most seats are every day fans that live locally, many with season tickets. They want to be a part of something big.

I think Super Rugby is great, but the problem may be that the league covering so many time zones and countries with less of a regional flavor makes it hard to develop excitement when playing a team halfway around the world if it's not in a championship. That drives TV revenue and attendance revenue. Having regional conferences to keep things local competitively (not limiting the player pool) seems like a good idea, where only in the final stages of the playoffs the top teams travel to see who's top team is the best makes practical sense and engenders a national pride. Of course test rugby dilutes that effect somewhat but not entirely. The biggest challenge is finding a way to market heavily and effectively on national TV, in local media, though merchandising, and through community involvement to build the excitement for people so they want to go to games, watch on TV, and buy licensed products especially shirts and other stuff that makes them walking advertisements).

I agree with Pampas. I think performances from some teams this season have made incredibly uninteresting.
SWs and Jaguares performances did not help.

And sure, the format is far from ideal but realistically, most changes would require some of sacrifice somewhere (even more travelling, adding a team, cutting a team).

If the Brumbies and the Sharks/Stormers were having a better season we wouldn't be having this conversation. It didn't take a rocket scientist to pick 3 out of the 4 conference winners even before the june test match break. The 4th in NZ's conf has more points than RSA's first of the Australian conference. A bit apples and oranges, but still.

Every professional sports league here in the USA has weak and strong conferences in cycles, without killing the league. Take the NFL where for a decade the AFC might dominate and for another the NFC might dominate. The conferences are regional, only to be practical due to time zone differences. None of the fans seem to care if the players are locals, although it makes a nice story when it happens that a star is playing for his home city. Expansion weakens competition for a few years, but it works because the fans in the new city are excited to have a franchise. The thing that keeps it going strong is heavy marketing by the league and lots of money from TV. The fans show up at the stadiums because it's an exciting experience and because it is marketed so well. The corporations buying seats to entertain clients fills the skyboxes but most seats are every day fans that live locally, many with season tickets. They want to be a part of something big.

I think Super Rugby is great, but the problem may be that the league covering so many time zones and countries with less of a regional flavor makes it hard to develop excitement when playing a team halfway around the world if it's not in a championship. That drives TV revenue and attendance revenue. Having regional conferences to keep things local competitively (not limiting the player pool) seems like a good idea, where only in the final stages of the playoffs the top teams travel to see who's top team is the best makes practical sense and engenders a national pride. Of course test rugby dilutes that effect somewhat but not entirely. The biggest challenge is finding a way to market heavily and effectively on national TV, in local media, though merchandising, and through community involvement to build the excitement for people so they want to go to games, watch on TV, and buy licensed products especially shirts and other stuff that makes them walking advertisements).

No offense, but I don't want the competition to follow in American styled leagues, it's not our culture and never will be, that's why we don't like it or accept it. The format just isn't for us.

People can only watch so much TV and attend so many matches. If you add 10 more games to the Stormers' fixtures at Newlands I'd still only attend the 2/3 I do annually. If you add 12 teams and 6 extra weekly fixtures to SR I'll still only watch the Stormers and then 2 or so extra fixtures that weekend. I'm sure the situation would be comparable for most fans.

I think for SA this year, economic and political pressure adds more to the equation than most might imagine. We have the weak Rand surrounding our own political-economic issues, Brexit not helping us and then the political issues this being an election year with the accompanying grandstanding and targeting of SA rugby specifically, racial quotas in sport in sharp focus, widespread (and dangerous) political demonstrations (rioting rather). All these things tend to put a damper on proceedings and take up 'mental space' leaving little enough room for something as trivial as sports when all is said and done. These translate to more of our talent leaving the shores, more politicaly motivated team rosters and less success on the field which further puts a damper on people's interest in sport. Its a nasty spiral. The odd and bloated format of Sr also doesn't help.

On top of those general issues every franchise has there own issues:

Stormers: Brand new coach, young squad, injuries/availibility issues (Du Preez, De Jongh, Kolbe, Senatla, De Allende, Etzebeth, Vermaak, Taute, Hendricks etc etc all out for long spells or won't even feature). Also, we were left for dead by Eddie Jones and had to scramble ith no real preseason to talk of.

Bulls: Fickle fans, Tswane is in chaos being the political hub of SA, injuries in general but especially to talisman (Pollard) and in rebuilding phase with a brand new coach and a raft of new players. Huge lack of continuity these last few years since 2011 the squad rotation has been astounding.

Cheetahs: New coach, poor so can't keep hold of players past a certain point. No continuity at all. Its Bloemfontein.

Sharks: New coach, lost a ton of experience post RWC 2015 and to injuries (Steyn, both Du Plessis bro's, Lambie, Reinach, Alberts, Coetzee etc)

Lions: No surprise they are the only team in SA worth a bet for the ***le as they are the only SA team with continuity in terms of players and coaching staff. Ellis Park remains a stadium I would rather avoid ad watch the game from the comfort of my couch.

All these teams have players that'll return for SR next season but will go from here to Japan and back for SR (might even miss the start due to Top League play offs) so no break and for many this will be the second or third year without a break. Something has to give somewhere. Just look at De Allende's form- SR + RWC + Top league + injury + SR + June tests + SR again = him being nowhere near what we've seen from him in the past.

Don't even let me get onto the 'Kings'...

Kings: No money, corrupt administration, political interference from a local to national level. No sponsor. Bankrupt. Not paying its players and staff's wages. Liquidation and court orders looming. No identity. I could extrapulate a lot on the identity issue but won't just now as I don't have the time.

Last edited:
No offense, but I don't want the competition to follow in American styled leagues, it's not our culture and never will be, that's why we don't like it or accept it. The format just isn't for us.
No offense taken. Just offering some perspective on a model that has been wildly successful in the USA. The details of a marketing approach would have to be different to appeal to each market and probably very different from what works in the USA, but the point was that good marketing can generate interest and ultimately money to turn any struggling enterprise into a successful one.

No offense taken. Just offering some perspective on a model that has been wildly successful in the USA. The details of a marketing approach would have to be different to appeal to each market and probably very different from what works in the USA, but the point was that good marketing can generate interest and ultimately money to turn any struggling enterprise into a successful one.

I love the NFL model but the thing is it is easy for weak conferences and teams to become strong in a few years of good management in the NFL because of the draft system and salary cap. So when there is a gulf in quality between teams it isn't such a big deal as it can change so quickly. I get the impression that teams like the Cheetahs are destined to be feeder clubs for the big boys with little chance of overhauling them, because money talks.

Money definitely talks in professional sports. Hopefully with a little time and good marketing the demand can grow to the point where TV or other sponsorship money reaches the level that through reasonable revenue sharing all the teams can have enough to spend on salaries to make a salary cap necessary, because that's when you know there is enough demand to pay the salaries that will keep the best players wanting to be in the league.

Outsider looking in, but when living in NZ around 2000, I saw a lot more excitement for Super Rugby than now. Here is what I see the problems are:

1. Why does SA have six teams, for their financial impact to the league? It appears the Kings are disorganized, why were they allowed in? From what I understand because they complained enough. When it was the Super 12, NZ had 5 teams. They still have 5 teams. Australia complained and got their 5th team. South Africa then complained and got their 5th team (Cheetahs). SA should have been stopped there. The Kings issue is where this started to go downhill. Maybe if NZ, AUs and SA all had 6 teams, this would be going better?
2. Too much travel. Before Japan and Argentina were allowed in, there were already travel problems with going to South Africa. The owners took the expansion money grab. To my understanding that is why SuperRugby now is divided into conferences, which stated above fans do not like. Maybe also as I said above, it was kept as a three country tournament (SA, NZ, Aus), there would be more interest for the fans and less travel for the players. You then dilute talent in NZ and make things are more competitive. But what is done is done.
3. Too much temptation for players to go overseas due to money. It sickened me to see Daniel Carter go play for a French side. But I respect the "bloke" tons for staying with SuperRugby and even his provincial team for so long. Good on him!
4. Schedule too long and broken up due to other competitions (Tri-Nations etc), in the middle of the SuperRugby season. Takes the focus off. I don't recall an interruption in the early 2000s.

How do you fix these problems and go back to the way it used to be? I only see by going back to the "way it used to be". Shorten season, lower travel, raise salaries. Looks as if though the golden goose has stopped laying the golden eggs. Too much expansion now.

Maybe you put Japan Argentina and such in its own league and expand further, then have a playoff towards the end of the year between the lowest established team and the highest expansion team.

I have enjoyed watching SuperRugby for a while here in the States. Glad the matches are on ESPN3 where I can get them for free now. I used to watch all the NZ matches but now there are too many and I don't have time to see them all. Too much of a good thing has, I must admit, caused me to lose some interest.

Last edited:
I think that the problem with the idea of going back to Super 12 is that you won't have enough money to keep the elite players. Also SA selection policy wasn't the same 15 years ago.
Therefore, IMHO if you put Super 12 format in place right now, you won't have the same success.

Last edited:
seems like maybe there is always a bit of a hangover effect after a world cup year. Lots of rugby in a WC year and a lot of people watch it and get involved more than they usually would. Then there is a burnout after the final, and super rugby starts a couple of months later...

seems like maybe there is always a bit of a hangover effect after a world cup year. Lots of rugby in a WC year and a lot of people watch it and get involved more than they usually would. Then there is a burnout after the final, and super rugby starts a couple of months later...

Excellent point. See what happens next year before reacting too much to this year's decline, given the oversaturation in a World Cup year.

It seems you did not properly do your research about Southern Hemisphere rugby. I dont know about the Aussie sides but the South African and New Zealand clubs have been around for very long. Our domestic rugby competition the Currie cup dates back to 1891.
Super rugby teams like the Stormers, Bulls, and Sharks is the same unions as their currie cup counterparts they just change names for super rugby because they had players coming in from other clubs in their region. Nowadays they contract most of the players themselves. The point im trying to get through is that although the teams have different names for Currie cup and super rugby they are the same side. Those that dont get selected from the springboks play in both competitions.
Now your quote "they are an actual club with over a 100 years of history and regional pride, you don't get that in Super Rugby". Well let me show you when these clubs were created. (Names has had slight variations through the years).

The Bulls was founded in 1938 after the transvaal union spilt up. ( Basically the lions and bulls splitting)
The sharks was founded in 1890
The Stormers (wp) was founded in 1883

These among others have years and years of history where serious regional rivalries built up.
If you are referring to the intercontinental rivalries in super rugby not being that old than thats where it gets tricky. Yes super rugby was only created in the 1990s so there can be a case made that the rivalries are too new to compare to some other teams. The fact is though that SANZAR nations have a very long history. Before the game became professional we were big rivals fighting for the rights to be called the best in the world. All Black Springbok matches date back to 1921. And the super rugby franchises is an extension of the national teams and we still want to beat each other at franchise level. So the competition seems new but there is lots of history between the teams competing. If anything the traditions and rivalries in the top 14 has deteriorated because they lure players from around the world with their money. These players have a job to do for their team but they did not grow up supporting that team. Thats the big differrence between the top 14 and Super rugby.

Besides everyone is complaining about the quality of Super rugby but if our top 8 joined the top 14 we would not only win it but occupy all the playoff places. New Zealand is currently dominating but that does not mean the rest are bad. You guys saw what happened when the Sharks toured France and played Toulon and Toulouse. Those french sides were already in their seasons and we were just warming up.

Once Super rugby settles with its amount of teams it will slowly become even more competitive. When the Japanese public catches on to it we will be able to produce enough TV revenue to keep all our players. The European market is very strong but we have seen in football what kind of money these Asian sides are producing and its startling.

yeah the currie cup has been around forever and the itm cup has been around for 40 years but the super rugby franchises are just all star teams that choose their players from the currie cup and itm cup

just because there are international rivalries doesn't mean that club rivalries will follow suit, you can't tell me that that Super Rugby has anywhere near the tradition that exists in Europe.. so the South African clubs, which make up 1/3 of the league have been around for 80+ years, the top 14 has 12 teams around for 100+ years and the premiership where every club was formed in the 1800s

honestly who cares if the players grew up supporting the club or not, are you telling me that these players are so unprofessional that they will not give their best effort unless they are playing for a club they idolized growing up? then we are watching a lot of crap rugby i guess and the first couple of years in Super Rugby must have been real crap because those clubs didn't exist

and to your point about putting Super Rugby teams in the Top 14 and dominating... like duh, if you made 5 all star teams from the Aviva Premiership they would probably dominate the Top 14 too

LOL, I get your points, @themole25 but I wouldn't go as far as calling SA's SR sides all-star teams. These sides are carbon copies of the major province that make up the 'catchment area'. In the recent past you might have two or three Northern Cape players in a Cheetahs side and a Mpumalanga player loaned here or there but that is the exception.

I also wouldn't call them all star teams ITO competitiveness. Only 4 of the 6 SA teams have any sort of money and then that pales in comparison to overseas clubs. The only way some of our top players are retained is allowing them stints in Japan's Top League in the SR off-season but the downside is these players come back knackered and off form if not injured (Damian de Allende, Marcel Coetzee) and hardly feature for their team.

I'd almost go as far as saying you could make 6 SA teams of players based abroad and they'd be more competitive than our SR teams at least on paper.

What was my point... ? I guess I didn't really have a point as such as just thinking and typing here. The main issue is competitiveness IMO. I feel the SA sides could all become competitive if we can manage continuity. Even the Cheetahs managed to make the play-offs in 2013 the year they didn't turn over 7+ players and the Kings for all their issues have more potential as a region than the Cheetahs do. Continuity, good management and politics not interfering. Easier said than done but the regions are coming up with ways of addressing player retention, this is a post RWC year and we've shed a boat load of players on top of all our teams bar the Lions having new coaches as well. Give us 2 years to gel. ITO management the Kings look set to drop their corrupt CEO and ITO political interference this is an election year. My hope is that after the elections we get less noise out of the politicians and less pressure on our sports bodies. Maybe I'm being a tad naive but that is my hope.

It's great to see so many Americans on this forum, but please before you go on the tirade of comparing Super Rugby or any other rugby tournament with American sports, please make sure you read up on the history of the tournament, the regions involved, the teams/franchises, the players and whatever else might be of value. There is no use in trying to explain things over and over in different threads, and it all ends up in the same arguments over and over. People will get sick and tired to respond, and it will result in uneducated posters not getting the information they wanted.

Ask any South African poster on this forum, and they will tell you that the whole debacle with the Kings are a shambles, where politics was the main motivator and now is in an even bigger predicament than when it all started about 4 years ago. They basically lost the core of their players just before this season started because the players wasn't paid their monthly salaries, other franchises stepped up and took those players in, and reaped the rewards. SP Marais and Lizo Gqoboka for example have been regular starters for the Bulls all season, and Marais was bought after the Super Rugby series got under way.

I feel sorry for the Kings players, the idea is great that they want to give such a big region in SA a franchise and Super Rugby experience, but politics and corruption caused it to be the laughing stock it is today. Just ask @Stormer_2010 to make his list of players the Kings could've used if those players stayed at their region, they would have been a force to be reckoned with.

The Currie Cup is the oldest running rugby tournament in the World!! The franchises in Super Rugby for SA are mainly Currie Cup teams with the addition of a few players from other unions joining them. And as we speak, the Currie Cup's qualifying tournament is already going on, in fact, it's nearly the end of that part before the main tournament starts.

As for derbies, I think @themole25 should read up on things like the Jukskei Derby, the coastal clash and the derby between the Bulls and the Stormers (WP), just from a South African point of view.

Super Rugby has been one of the most watched tournaments all over the globe, so how crap can it be? The last expansion was a great idea for the sake of World Rugby and making it a global game, but it came too early, and the format caused a lot of frustration for regular viewers. But as @Larksea mentioned, it is just after a RWC, and usually the year after a world cup, everything is at a low point trying to build up to the next WC cycle.

I think this is also the first year since Super 12 where the South African franchises have all new coaches in same year, apart from the Lions.

Last edited by a moderator:
SA's 6 overseas based teams as an excersize to see what we are missing from after this Sr tournament confirmed:

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Jake White[/TD]
[TD]Rassie Erasmus[/TD]
[TD]Dawie Theron[/TD]
[TD]Jimmy Stonehouse[/TD]
[TD]Frans Ludeke[/TD]
[TD]John McFarland[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]